Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 39988 times)

gmatoy

Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #360 on: May 21, 2014, 08:55:06 PM »
A side benefit of decluttering: money. I received a check for $650 last night for the books the local bookstore owner bought from me. And he is recommending someone here he knows and trusts who sells books only online who might take a bunch more that he couldn't use. The possibility of even more money--yay!

Anything left over will go to my favorite thrift store. And given how my various bookcases look I will be giving away at least two of them once the books are out of my house. Win-win-win!
If you know which cases you want to get rid of, mention it to the book buyer. Some times they will buy them.

Amara

« Reply #361 on: May 21, 2014, 11:24:58 PM »
That's a good idea, Gmatoy, but I doubt either of these two guy would be interested. The bookseller has a lovely store here, and the online seller, who is coming tomorrow evening, probably wouldn't be interested. Still, I'll ask. I don't know where or how he keeps his books until they sell so maybe ...

Thanks!

gmatoy

« Reply #362 on: May 24, 2014, 10:54:50 PM »
I have been half-heartedly working on my sewing/guest room. It would be easier if I had somewhere to actually go though the stuff other than the bed... still I'm working on it!

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #363 on: May 27, 2014, 11:10:08 AM »
I really wanted to have something to contribute to this thread again! So over the last few days I cleaned a bag full of clothes out of my closet and drawers. I also got rid of a lot of extra hangers which were taking up space. I was getting irritated because my clothes were kind of jammed into their spaces and I was worried they were getting damaged, so now they feel like they have a bit more breathing room.

I also cleaned out my silverware/catch-all drawer in the kitchen (I only have one) and got rid of a shocking number of plastic spoons etc. from take-out places. ::) And I went through the magazines I'd already read and tore out the articles I wanted to save; and then went through some (though not yet all) of my saved articles, to winnow that collection down.

Yay!  :D
~Lynn2000

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #364 on: May 28, 2014, 02:57:50 PM »
My mom is a hoarder*, so decluttering is sort of an on-going thing for me, even when I technically don't "need" to declutter, because I have enough space for all of my stuff.

As it's springtime, I am doing my regular spring clothing cleanout. And...as I'm coming to terms with my butt never being a 2/4 again, but entrenching itself firming in 6/8 territory, I'm getting rid of A LOT of pants/tight-waistbanded skirts.

Aaaaaaaand forcing myself to finish painting my apartment, so that I can transfer the extra touch-up paint to mason jars, and get rid of a dozen gallon paint cans.

I also pulled down my MASSIVE box of mending (embarrassingly massive; I think I had something like 30-40 items of clothing in it). I got rid of everything that's so old that I don't like it/won't fit in it anymore, and have been making myself mend 1-2 things a week. If I keep it up, I'll be done by the end of the summer, and I can keep something else in that giant bin (maybe extra pillows & blankets).

*An actual, Hoarder TV-level hoarder. Little pathways through rooms stacked high with crap & all. Sigh.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #365 on: May 29, 2014, 03:34:01 PM »
I just remembered something I did for my closet. I used to use those padded satin and canvas hangers, which were nice but took up a LOT of room. I then bought those flat, velvet covered ones. WOW what a difference. they take up about 1/4 of the space.  So I guess that kind of counts as decluttering!

GratefulMaria

« Reply #366 on: May 29, 2014, 08:27:14 PM »
Making lots of headway, but seeing everything that's left to do has been discouraging this week.  Our walk-up attic is a combination of storage and our bedroom now that my mother's moved in and we put her in the master.  So not only do we have old boxes of things we've kept or have told the kids we'd keep for a while, but our bedroom furniture, plus some furniture from my mother's that's earmarked for DS1 and DS2.

We're donating at least a Hefty bag a week, plus recycling and just plain trashing more.  There's just so. much. left.

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #367 on: May 29, 2014, 09:16:50 PM »
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-useless-products-that-nobody-can-throw-out/

I found this fascinating as the list does have things I find hard to get rid of when decluttering
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

bloo

« Reply #368 on: May 30, 2014, 12:06:16 AM »
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-useless-products-that-nobody-can-throw-out/

I found this fascinating as the list does have things I find hard to get rid of when decluttering

The one about books was hysterical!

One of my friends, Tara, lost her mother 2 years ago. Her father is moving out of their home and into something smaller and easier to manage. Tara and her sister, Denise, were going through 50 years worth of stuff. They caught their dad boxing up books to put into storage and one box had a complete set of encyclopedias from 1962. He wanted to keep them! Tara told her dad that she's pretty sure no one her dad knows will need information pre-dating the moon landing what with the Internet and all.

Tara and Denise, in the end, did convince Dad to get rid of a lot of the books, including the encyclopedias.

Celany

« Reply #369 on: May 30, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
I am soooo happy to say that I keep culling at my books and I've finally gotten down to about half a bookcase (from three+ gull bookcases). I only keep 4 kinds of books now:

1) books that have "hard" information that I want in book form (I have a small collection of survivalist books that detail cooking/canning/basic electrical maintenance & other things)
2) books that are reference books that I once went through & marked the hell out of & still use (these are mostly trade-type books)
3) a couple of coffee table/outrageous photo books. Because this http://www.catster.com/molz/why-paint-painted-cats-book-burton-silver-heather-busch is so much more fun to flip through in person, versus on an ipad.
4) bathtub books. mostly sci-fi/fantasy & if they fall into the tub (and some of them have fallen in at least half a dozen times), it's ok. Only about a dozen of those.

Everything else, I've slowly been migrating to formats I can read on an ereader. Having the extra space is wonderful.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #370 on: May 30, 2014, 10:28:17 AM »
I'm embarrassed to admit that I culled my cookbook collection in preparation for moving.  The criteria for a keeper was that it had to have at least five recipes that I had used (and liked, obviously), and I had to have used it in the last six months.  The embarrassing part was that out of 68 cookbooks and magazines, I kept six.  Five I actually use (and one of those is my BH&G big book, with conversions and tips), and the sixth is my mother's that I don't use but won't give up for sentimental reasons.  With all the recipes online today anyway, I just can't see schlepping all of those books to the new house.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:29:49 AM by guihong »

Celany

« Reply #371 on: May 30, 2014, 10:41:19 AM »
I'm embarrassed to admit that I culled my cookbook collection in preparation for moving.  The criteria for a keeper was that it had to have at least five recipes that I had used (and liked, obviously), and I had to have used it in the last six months.  The embarrassing part was that out of 68 cookbooks and magazines, I kept six.  Five I actually use (and one of those is my BH&G big book, with conversions and tips), and the sixth is my mother's that I don't use but won't give up for sentimental reasons.  With all the recipes online today anyway, I just can't see schlepping all of those books to the new house.

POD. I didn't have that many, but I think I used to have twenty-something cookbooks. Of the half-dozen or so I kept, they're mostly raw cookbooks, because "cooking" raw is one of the few things that I've found having the tried-and-tested-cookbook-from-a-pro is worthwhile. Other than that, I feel like I can find amazing recipes for nearly everything else online.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #372 on: May 30, 2014, 12:15:07 PM »
POD. I didn't have that many, but I think I used to have twenty-something cookbooks. Of the half-dozen or so I kept, they're mostly raw cookbooks, because "cooking" raw is one of the few things that I've found having the tried-and-tested-cookbook-from-a-pro is worthwhile. Other than that, I feel like I can find amazing recipes for nearly everything else online.

I've also culled down my cookbooks to about 2 shelves.  Most of the remaining cookbooks have sentimental value for me, like the Joy of Cooking that my late little brother had sent to me when he found out that I didn't have my own copy.  I will keep that forever.   The old cookbook that I used when I was learning how to cook in my mother's house.  That's another keeper.   Most of the rest of them are gone now.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 01:30:17 PM by LadyJaneinMD »

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #373 on: May 30, 2014, 12:55:25 PM »

I'm not sure how many cookbooks I still have, but I do know they fit on one shelf. Some are simply sentimental, others I actually use. One which I have never used, but would love to, is the "Pie and Pastry Bible" which my mom gave me one year for Christmas. I keep saying I want to make all the yummy stuff in there, but never do. i just don't have the right space/tools etc.

Some were hard to part with, esp since my parents gave them to me, but I managed. I only kept a few, mainly the ones my dad chose, since he shared my love for cooking.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #374 on: June 01, 2014, 06:49:43 PM »
I went through some (though not yet all) of my saved articles, to winnow that collection down.

I went through the rest of my saved articles today and threw out a lot. I'm actually not sure what to do with the space I regained, just because it's in such a specific spot. I think getting rid of a lot of the articles just gives me room for... more articles in the future. But, that's fine. I'll collect a bunch up and then winnow them down again later.

I've also been ruthless in disposing of underwear and bras that are looking raggedy, or don't fit me well.

And, I've been going through my many shirts and donating/discarding those that are too big, getting worn out, or that I just don't like for some reason.
~Lynn2000