Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 38440 times)

Amara

Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #375 on: June 01, 2014, 07:09:51 PM »
This thread is so invigorating! As I mentioned earlier, I cleared out my bookshelves, removing about 300 books. Of those, about half were bought by three booksellers, netting me $750! The rest are due to be donated to my favorite thrift store next Saturday and slowly, in batches, they are going in my car's trunk. I am not even tempted to look at them. I will be so excited when they are all gone.

Two of the four bookcases in the den have been advertised in the barter section of CL; in exchange, I'd like to get some tallish potted plants to turn my part of my driveway into an outdoor dining area with more room than the porch.

It's so odd to me that for so long I thought I'd never get rid of the books. And here I am, eyeing even more. It feels so freeing!

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #376 on: June 03, 2014, 12:35:48 PM »
I took a step backwards this weekend.  *hangs head in shame*   Someone on Freecycle was offering this nice little computer desk, which would be just *perfect* for my work laptop, so I picked it up, dragged it upstairs, and realized that I have NO WHERE TO PUT IT.  I don't even have a corner to shoehorn it into.  I have no idea what I'm going to do with this thing, but it's so perfect!
I keep thinking, over and over, 'It'll fit in great *there*, but then what do I do with what's in that space already?
Help me!

Amara

« Reply #377 on: June 03, 2014, 12:45:12 PM »
Where do you use your work computer now? If it's on your lap maybe a lap desk would work better. Then offer the desk up on Freecycle again.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #378 on: June 03, 2014, 01:37:00 PM »
Where do you use your work computer now? If it's on your lap maybe a lap desk would work better. Then offer the desk up on Freecycle again.

I don't have a lap.(I'm a very large woman)  Usually I set up my work computer on my sewing table, since I'm not sewing when I'm working.  That's still probably the best place to set it up for now.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #379 on: June 03, 2014, 01:39:42 PM »
I took a step backwards this weekend.  *hangs head in shame*   Someone on Freecycle was offering this nice little computer desk, which would be just *perfect* for my work laptop, so I picked it up, dragged it upstairs, and realized that I have NO WHERE TO PUT IT.  I don't even have a corner to shoehorn it into.  I have no idea what I'm going to do with this thing, but it's so perfect!
I keep thinking, over and over, 'It'll fit in great *there*, but then what do I do with what's in that space already?
Help me!

First off, be kind to yourself.  :-)  If you can't use it as a nightstand or telephone table or something, then definitely send it on its way.  Nothing wrong with giving it a try.

Carotte

« Reply #380 on: June 05, 2014, 12:43:49 PM »
I've made a dent!
I came back to my parents' place to try and tidy up my old room (I've left it 1 year ago and did not move a lot of stuff beside clothes and a tenth of art/craft supplies), two days I've been at it, mostly to try and 'centralize', test and discard/keep things like markers, put all the pencils in one place, all the X in one place...
It's gone from 4/5 shoe boxes of "stuff" (some of it not even mine) to being neatly organized in a big Rubbermaid bin.
I've tested all the batteries I found along the way, put the good ones in a box and the others in a "to discard appropriately" box.
I've tested spray paint cans, the empty or too old ones in the box to the recycling center.
Knickknacks of the toy or plushy persuasion went in a box, along with kiddy coloring markers I don't mind passing kids using (because the parents, and me, would not like them to be handed the alcohol markers  ::)).

I'm a bit bothered by the 100+ Cd's I still have, I don't listen to them or care for them anymore, but I think my only solution is to take a handfull at a time back to my place to take them to a second hand shop, and I'm not sure they'll even take all of them. Hopefully it's enough to cover the price of transportation  ::).

Tonight and the next time I'm here I'll take care of the papers I still have, like the big pile of diploma paper research that I'm pretty sure I'll never consult again.

Something that added some difficulty with all this is that my parents have (understandably) used my room to stock things, like tons of fabric (I'm not even sure where my mother had the room to have that much fabric, boxes and boxed that I don't see fitting anywhere else.).

What I learned from all this:
- I, sadly, doesn't need to buy another pencil for the next ten years.
- Too much stuff! Argh! I'll be trying to live zen and clutter free as much as I can, meaning no cute vase or decorative bowl just for the sake of it  :( but maybe instead gourmet chocolate  ;D.
- One in, one out. Since I don't like trowing things out, it'll cut down on the in part anyway  :D

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #381 on: June 05, 2014, 01:14:52 PM »
My work has a "donate clothes & shoes" box and for the last two days, I've brought at least a couple of items of clothing/shoes that I never wore (or wore once & still look brand new). It feels so good to get things out of the house.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

gmatoy

« Reply #382 on: June 05, 2014, 07:48:20 PM »
My work has a "donate clothes & shoes" box and for the last two days, I've brought at least a couple of items of clothing/shoes that I never wore (or wore once & still look brand new). It feels so good to get things out of the house.

I swear that sounds like a great job perk to me! Not have to go out of my way to get rid of things? Oh, yes, job perk!

Celany

« Reply #383 on: June 06, 2014, 11:15:43 AM »

I swear that sounds like a great job perk to me! Not have to go out of my way to get rid of things? Oh, yes, job perk!

It has been so amazingly helpful. I had dragging stuff off to donate, so I usually only go when I have 1-2 of those big blue ikea bags worth of stuff to take, since I have to go by subway to the nearest location and it is EXTREMELY annoying and time-consuming to get to. And of course, when I have that much stuff, I will frequently go through it "just one last time" to make sure I'm OK with everything I'm getting rid of. And we know how that often ends...  ??? ::)

But now, I decide to get rid of something, I take it to work the next day, and it's gone. The difference that has made is big. I know longer have a corner in my bedroom that is nearly perpetually filled with "to donate" clothing!
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #384 on: June 06, 2014, 12:22:42 PM »
I'm going through my shirts to donate the ones that are too big now. Usually I test the shirt by wearing it to work all day. Of course then as soon as I decide I want to donate it, I feel this urge to rip it off right then and there, which I don't think my co-workers would appreciate! Then I like to wash things before I donate them, so I have to remember which items go and which stay until I've had a chance to do laundry. That is their chance to creep back into the closet when I'm not paying attention.

I'm getting rid of the shirt I'm currently wearing. The weird thing is, I wore one exactly like it, except in a different color, earlier in the week and I thought it was fine. ::)
~Lynn2000

Celany

« Reply #385 on: June 06, 2014, 12:31:34 PM »
I'm going through my shirts to donate the ones that are too big now. Usually I test the shirt by wearing it to work all day. Of course then as soon as I decide I want to donate it, I feel this urge to rip it off right then and there, which I don't think my co-workers would appreciate! Then I like to wash things before I donate them, so I have to remember which items go and which stay until I've had a chance to do laundry. That is their chance to creep back into the closet when I'm not paying attention.

I'm getting rid of the shirt I'm currently wearing. The weird thing is, I wore one exactly like it, except in a different color, earlier in the week and I thought it was fine. ::)

I just did that with a ton of black leggings! I wanted to get rid of all the pairs that don't stay up over my expanded buns, but then to do that, I have to WEAR them, and then WASH them and then who can tell two pairs of black leggings apart?

So what I started doing with putting black sharpie on the labels. I know to check the label, & then I can donate the ones with a black slash on the label as soon as I wish them.

Black sharpie is generally permanent, & isn't such a big deal if it isn't, when I do a load of darks. If you have lighter colored things, you might want to do what I do for my pants with different inseams (that I have a collection of for different heels heights): I just handstitch a thread of a different color for each inseam into the label, so it's easy to check. You could even see if any of your shirts have a label that's loop-shaped & knot a white thread around it, so you know to toss the white-threaded ones.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #386 on: June 06, 2014, 01:31:29 PM »
I just did that with a ton of black leggings! I wanted to get rid of all the pairs that don't stay up over my expanded buns, but then to do that, I have to WEAR them, and then WASH them and then who can tell two pairs of black leggings apart?

So what I started doing with putting black sharpie on the labels. I know to check the label, & then I can donate the ones with a black slash on the label as soon as I wish them.

Black sharpie is generally permanent, & isn't such a big deal if it isn't, when I do a load of darks. If you have lighter colored things, you might want to do what I do for my pants with different inseams (that I have a collection of for different heels heights): I just handstitch a thread of a different color for each inseam into the label, so it's easy to check. You could even see if any of your shirts have a label that's loop-shaped & knot a white thread around it, so you know to toss the white-threaded ones.

This has nothing to do with donation, since very few of my clothes get donated (I make them), but if I notice that something needs a repair (especially one of my 15 pairs of black pants), I put a safety pin in the hem before throwing them into the washer.  Then, when I take them out, the ones with safety pins get tossed onto the sewing table until I find the time to repair them.  Which could take awhile.....you know how it is....the cobbler's kids go barefoot....

GratefulMaria

« Reply #387 on: June 06, 2014, 01:36:01 PM »
Checking in here for some motivation.  I'm at the point where I can't put off the paper decluttering any longer, and we're at over twenty years' worth.  Working my way to a more comfortable home one flimsy receipt at a time . . .

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #388 on: June 06, 2014, 01:55:17 PM »
I knew you guys would have some good ideas for marking clothes I want to donate! :) I might try knotting something through the tag. The shirts are light-colored and somewhat delicate--I thought about a safety pin but worried it might get snagged on something and tear in the washer or dryer. I don't know if that's reasonable or not.
~Lynn2000

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #389 on: June 06, 2014, 02:03:47 PM »
I knew you guys would have some good ideas for marking clothes I want to donate! :) I might try knotting something through the tag. The shirts are light-colored and somewhat delicate--I thought about a safety pin but worried it might get snagged on something and tear in the washer or dryer. I don't know if that's reasonable or not.

Perfectly reasonable, Lynn.  I wouldn't put a safety pin into anything delicate.  Tying a ribbon through the tag would be a good alternative, just make sure it's knotted tightly so it doesn't come undone in the wash.