Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 33858 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #390 on: June 06, 2014, 03:53:08 PM »
I'm packing to go home after a five week stay.

It's looking like I may need to leave a few things behind (I come back in a bit over five months for another, longer stay - so I can pack lightly & take them back then).  Or, in the case of a purse with a tear - it may just hit the trash can before I leave.  Sometimes things are worth repairing when you're home - but not when you're traveling!

I do not donate torn or worn out items.  There were too many hand-me-downs in my closet growing up...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #391 on: June 07, 2014, 04:05:27 PM »
I knew you guys would have some good ideas for marking clothes I want to donate! :) I might try knotting something through the tag. The shirts are light-colored and somewhat delicate--I thought about a safety pin but worried it might get snagged on something and tear in the washer or dryer. I don't know if that's reasonable or not.

Perfectly reasonable, Lynn.  I wouldn't put a safety pin into anything delicate.  Tying a ribbon through the tag would be a good alternative, just make sure it's knotted tightly so it doesn't come undone in the wash.

Even though I've washed safety pins by accident a ton of times (usually using them to do a quick temporary pants hem) & never had a problem, I always worry that it will eventually snag, which is why I try to use the thread or sharpie.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

audhs

« Reply #392 on: June 08, 2014, 09:51:47 AM »
I went through my 7 year olds room yesterday with her help.  We threw out a large garbage bag of junk, and filled a mid sized box with stuffed animals to give away.

She still has more stuff than I can deal with, so much little junkie items that kids collect.  I blame birthday party goodie bags and school prizes for good behaviour.  And my husbands brother, I don't want their kids hand me down toys we have enough of our own.  I'm finally putting my foot down and saying no instead of letting the kids bring things home from their place.

I did my 9 year olds room a few weeks ago, I've discovered that my older daughter has trouble getting rid of paper stuff, school assignments, greeting cards, crafts, etc.   and my younger one has trouble giving away stuffed toys she loves them all.

I've also given up explaining why I'm not keeping all their hand me down clothes and toys for my youngest.  She's 6 and 8 years younger than my other two, I'm not keeping all that stuff for that long in hopes she'll either like or be able to wear them.  Just not doing it.

magicdomino

« Reply #393 on: June 10, 2014, 11:33:10 AM »
Wish me luck.  I've been concentrating on the outside this spring (and apparently goofing off all winter).  As a result, the kitchen counters are a rumor, my dining table is a big pile of Stuff, and the living room is full of boxes.  My nephew is coming up for a few days this summer, maybe as soon as late June, and would like to stay with me.   :o  At least the guest room has only (only?) the Christmas wrapping stuff.

demarco

« Reply #394 on: June 22, 2014, 07:04:23 PM »
I started shredding bank statements this weekend. I have them going back to '94. I'm beginning there and working forward.  My shredder  is supposed to take 8 sheets at a time but I can only do 4 sheets of bank statements at a time because the paper stock is thicker than the usual. It's always something....

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #395 on: June 22, 2014, 07:47:57 PM »
I notified my boss back in April that, come the new year, I only want to work two days a week.  So then I'll have time to do a lot of the sewing I've planned to do...I hope.  I went to an estate sale yesterday and bought some more fabric, but this fabric has the potential for being made into clothing, whereas most of the fabric I got from my late aunt's house was all quilting material and, as such, couldn't be used for clothing as it's 100% cotton.  One of the pieces is a sky blue and apple green print T-shirt weight fabric, and I'm planning to make a tank top out of it because there isn't enough for a T-shirt.  There are also large enough pieces of gabardine to make skirts and slacks from.  Most of my clothes are so old that they're wearing out or fading, which usually isn't an issue since I work at home, but I'm thinking of volunteering at a library that's only two blocks from our house so I'd need something decent to wear.   

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #396 on: June 22, 2014, 08:36:44 PM »
I went through my 7 year olds room yesterday with her help.  We threw out a large garbage bag of junk, and filled a mid sized box with stuffed animals to give away.

She still has more stuff than I can deal with, so much little junkie items that kids collect.  I blame birthday party goodie bags and school prizes for good behaviour.  And my husbands brother, I don't want their kids hand me down toys we have enough of our own.  I'm finally putting my foot down and saying no instead of letting the kids bring things home from their place.

I did my 9 year olds room a few weeks ago, I've discovered that my older daughter has trouble getting rid of paper stuff, school assignments, greeting cards, crafts, etc.   and my younger one has trouble giving away stuffed toys she loves them all.

I've also given up explaining why I'm not keeping all their hand me down clothes and toys for my youngest.  She's 6 and 8 years younger than my other two, I'm not keeping all that stuff for that long in hopes she'll either like or be able to wear them.  Just not doing it.

My mother was so happy to have two girls 14 months apart and two boys 21 months apart.  She was expecting that clothes would get handed down & get a lot of extra use - like her and her two younger sisters did (granted, the youngest was 15 years younger and styles had changed way too much by the time they fit her). 

My sister was shorter, rounder, and hit puberty six years older than I did.  The clothes Mom saved for years...might have fit her in her late thirties - but by then they were hopelessly outdated in style and color.  High school clothes don't work for engineers working in an office - she never even tried them on as a possible Halloween costume...

Baby Brother turned out to be tall & skinny (until he started managing a restaurant in his college years) while Older Brother (#3 of 4 kids) was somewhat shorter at the same age, more muscular, and very few things that fit one survived to be worn by the other (boys playing football, going hunting with BB guns, riding bikes, and doing stuff outside with Dad wear their clothes out faster than the two of us girls did).

Hand me downs came from Mom's baby sister for me - but they didn't fit Lil Sis, either.  My brother's clothes, that survived, did end up going to various cousins...with nine on one side about the same age and six on the other also about the same age, there were boys and girls that had a better chance at anything that survived...

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #397 on: June 23, 2014, 11:12:10 AM »
I'm doing a staycation next week, and along with decluttering, I'm hoping to get some major cleaning done, the stuff that you think you want to do, but simply never have time for. I bought new shelf liner for my kitchen, the spongy kind that doens't have adhesive, so i'm going to pull everything out of my cabinets, clean them, and put this down, and hopefully get rid of some things, or at the very least,pack away some stuff I don't use, but wnat to keep

I am so looking forward to my week off at home! something I never get to do.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #398 on: June 24, 2014, 10:07:27 AM »
Well, that nice computer desk that I had no room for went back out via Freecycle last night.  I hope it gets a good home.  I wish I'd had room for it (without giving up any of my current stuff, of course!).  lol

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #399 on: June 24, 2014, 11:24:43 AM »
The larger L shaped computer desk went out, free, on both Freecycle & Craigslist - and got picked up, I think it was the Craigslist post that they responded to, but it went quickly.

A newer, smaller Ikea Flarke desk ($10 off Craigslist) replaced it - for the computer.  A sewing machine desk ($20 - it has an area that raises & lowers to the left of the machine for flat bed & free arm sewing) from the Goodwill (labeled as an "eating desk" for some reason) will be holding that sewing machine next to the computer table (it's an embroidery machine that uses a computer to run the embroidery software).  I have enough tables for the other machines (serger, cover hem, sewing machine, and treadle sewing machine - I don't hoard, they each do something that the rest of the machines don't do - the treadle machine works when the power is off). 

I'm trying to get the sewing room set up to work more efficiently - one machine may get moved downstairs to a larger office desk while I use it as a quilting machine with accessories (baby quilt or two to finish for a three year old DGS - how did he get so big so fast? and a second for my sister - possibly a third, if I have time).  The desk upstairs is about 20" by 40" (.5m x 1m) and the downstairs one is easily four times larger - much more space for the quilting frame & rollers for the quilt to move around the sewing machine.

http://flynnquilt.danemcoweb.com/shop/product/flynn-multi-frame/

This one, just an older model.  I have the parts - I do need to do a little assembly...there will be more decluttering as I finish the baby quilts, as I will use the quilt batting & backing fabric out of my stash!

dlws92

• My Blog
« Reply #400 on: June 24, 2014, 02:54:30 PM »
Whew....glad to read here and get inspiration!  Recently my inlaws both passed within 6 months of each other and I spent 3 days bagging and hauling stuff from their three walk in closets.  That resulted in 48 bags to be donated.  There are also 3 storage units to be gone through as well.

That made me come home and look at my own stuff and decide stuff has to go!  I'm getting past holding onto strange random things....like the single leg warmer my late mother crocheted back in the 1980's, a collection of 30 of my late dad's flannel shirts..but I'm still having trouble letting go of projects.  You know what I mean...those things you're going to fix/use/upcycle.   

What's the strangest thing you've held onto and why?  Want to know if anyone can beat my single leg warmer.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #401 on: June 24, 2014, 02:58:32 PM »
a collection of 30 of my late dad's flannel shirts

I'd be tempted to have these made into something, if they were really important.  Like a quilt or a blanket or something.

I'm hoping to tackle some of my mountain of paperwork this weekend.  I need to find some receipts to get reimbursement and some receipts to be able to return a couple of things under warranty that no longer work.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

otterwoman

« Reply #402 on: June 24, 2014, 03:29:08 PM »

What's the strangest thing you've held onto and why?  Want to know if anyone can beat my single leg warmer.

When I was in college as an art major, I mailed my father a high heeled shoe. No box, just the shoe. I wrote a nice note on the upper and wrote his address on the sole and paid for postage. It was delivered safely to his house. He kept that shoe until he dies. My stepmom may still have it.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #403 on: June 25, 2014, 08:02:29 AM »
a collection of 30 of my late dad's flannel shirts

I'd be tempted to have these made into something, if they were really important.  Like a quilt or a blanket or something.

I'm hoping to tackle some of my mountain of paperwork this weekend.  I need to find some receipts to get reimbursement and some receipts to be able to return a couple of things under warranty that no longer work.

Yeah, flannel shirts like that would make an awesome patchwork flannel blanket.  I'd love one of those. 

gmatoy

« Reply #404 on: June 26, 2014, 08:26:49 PM »
Flannel shirts also make great pillows. Not too much work in those and, if I had my father's shirts, I would make them for everyone in the family. Unfortunately (or, for the sake of my house, fortunately) I have nothing of my dad's things.

I have been trying to get the sewing area in a manageable condition. To do that, I have been cleaning shelves and trying to clear out stuff. So I have been sewing, reading books, clearing out duplicate patterns, etc. It is taking much too long to get done! But I'm sticking to the plan and hope that by the end of summer, I'll have it somewhat contained.