Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 36723 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #405 on: June 27, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »
Even though my staycation doens't start until 4pm today, I've begun my decluttering. I emptied out, and cleaned the big cabinet below my counter I keep my pots and pans in. And discovered I have not one, not two, not three, but four coffee/makers pots. For one person.

I'm keeping the vintage Farberware perculator that was my mom's since it still works and is awesome. Getting rid of two others, and also keeping the Chemex one I got for Christmas.

I also found 2 Farberware pot lids, circa 1960's or 70's. I'm not quite sure why since the pots are gone! 

And finally, and I need to figure out what to do with it, a mandolin slicer, professional grade, I think, and rather pricy, that was my dad's. After he died, my mom gave it to me, where its sat in the box, for the last 7+ years. I'm either going to try and sell it, or ask one of my friends who love to cook, and would put it to good use! its too nice and pricy to simply donate.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #406 on: June 28, 2014, 01:43:45 PM »
Continuing on with the kitchen cabinets. And amazed at how much really outdated food I am chucking. My strategy lately has been to but much less but maybe a little more frequently so I don't waste as much. Buts it's a hard habit to break! I am however, finding I have leftover room in each cabinet!

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #407 on: June 30, 2014, 12:23:03 AM »
I worked on one room this weekend. It ended up being more organizing than getting rid of stuff, but I did find some old magazines to recycle and a few broken items to toss. At least I can walk through it without tripping on stuff anymore. But now that I can see the walls I have to get out the long duster to reach the cobwebs in the corners.  :P
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #408 on: June 30, 2014, 01:36:13 AM »
Another kind of decluttering here-began in earnest to unpack from the move.  Kitchen and baths were already pretty well set, now it's the rest of the house.  Happy was I when I broke down my first box, and hopefully I can sell the boxes back to the box company this week.  I'm trying to reclaim my dining room, aka the "Put everything in there" room.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #409 on: June 30, 2014, 03:22:09 PM »
Another kind of decluttering here-began in earnest to unpack from the move.  Kitchen and baths were already pretty well set, now it's the rest of the house.  Happy was I when I broke down my first box, and hopefully I can sell the boxes back to the box company this week.  I'm trying to reclaim my dining room, aka the "Put everything in there" room.

I have one of those - I call it my hoarder room.  As soon as I get the hats I need by Friday done, that's my next project.  As well as organizing my yarn stash.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

EveLGenius

« Reply #410 on: June 30, 2014, 04:52:56 PM »
I started what I hope will be a chain-reaction of decluttering.  I have a long tray that holds about 20 orchids in a west window.  I bought a very nice (for a thrift-store find) cabinet to put under them.  First, I repotted all of the orchids.  Then DD put all of the board games into the cabinet, which both organized them and gave her some room in her bedroom.  Then I took the old cheap plastic shelves that had been under the orchids down into the furnace room.

In the (hopefully) near future, the cheap plastic shelves will be set up in the furnace room.  Then I will organize various tools either onto the shelves or onto the pegboard next to the shelves.  This will give me space and incentive to go through all of the little boxes of misc. tools and crap in the furnace room.  Then I'll expand into the shed, and hopefully even the garage.  I don't expect all of this to take place in the next few days, you understand; I'll be happy if I get as far as the shed before snow flies.  Fortunately, all of the areas in question are at least 50% organized, so it's just a case of concentrating on the unorganized spots.

My reward for doing all of this was the discovery that one of my favorite orchids has two buds.  It's a purple-and-orange Cattaleya, and I can't wait to see it!

gmatoy

« Reply #411 on: July 03, 2014, 10:27:47 PM »
Another day of trying to get the sewing room under control...The good news is that I found some scarves that I bought to use while making doll clothes. Even better is the fact that they are the color that I'm planning on using next, so they will get used quickly.

Still more in the "get it organized" stage than the "decluttering" stage. Although I will say when you get everything where it  belongs, you can see the duplications!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #412 on: July 10, 2014, 11:47:14 AM »
I got my 'hoarder' room cleared out.  All the kitchen stuff is back in the closet.  I still have to go through all the papers and get them filed or shredded but at least I can get in the room now!

I have a pile of stuff to be donated or recycled.  I'm going to post the babyfood jars and the Costco Mixed Nut Jars on kijiji and see if anyone wants them, for free, before I recycle them.  I'll do that this weekend and if no one messages me before garbage day on Wednesday, I'll recyle them.  Then I'll box up the stuff I have for donation and wait until I get another one of those, 'We have a truck in your neighbourhood' calls.

There is still a little more work to be done in that room but at least now, it is usable and I can hopefully make myself file bills and stuff as they come in, rather than letting them pile up.  I've said that before, though...   :-[
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

gmatoy

« Reply #413 on: July 11, 2014, 02:22:42 AM »
I was cleaning today and realized that cleaning will only get me so far. I need to start get ruthless in the decluttering department! So, I filled 5 bags to go to the thrift store, got 3 more bags out to a friend, and waded through a batch of sewing magazines and took out the "timeless" how-to articles and recycled the rest. Plus , all floors and the bathrooms are clean and the dining area is almost ready for our company tomorrow! (I'm exhausted, but I really feel good about what I got done.)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #414 on: July 11, 2014, 10:20:47 AM »
Not quite through with the decluttering the sewing room - but I did do something to let me get rid of part of my four cubic feet of magazines - I bought the sewing magazine archives on DVD so that I could do something else with the paper copies - I just haven't finished gathering them up from the various Unfinished prOjects (UFOs) that they are stored with, in some cases.  The pattern for that project came from the magazine and the instructions are in the magazine, so the magazine is with the fabric & cut out fabric pieces.

Articles could also be scanned to the computer & saved for reading on screen - filing the paper copies as a back up might or might not be needed (copyright issues change from country to country).

The Japanese craft books from an aunt's overseas trip are going to be sorted through after summer vacation.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 10:22:25 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #415 on: July 11, 2014, 10:31:09 AM »
My final act of decluttering will be next weekend. Right now, in my DR I have a set of short wire shelves. which go from the wall to just before the window. And outside my door, in the little recessed area i have a vintage, metal, utility cabinet wiht shelves. I used to use it as my pantry, but kept forgetting i had stuff in there.

so the shelves are being dismantled, and the cabinet will now go in the corner of the DR. they can hold more than the shelves, and will be out of sight!

magicdomino

« Reply #416 on: July 15, 2014, 04:22:35 PM »
Wish me luck as I go forward into the breech, or something like that.  I have houseguests coming at the end of July or early August.  The guest room still has all the Christmas wrapping stuff scattered around, plus some sewing stuff from making a Halloween prop last year.  The dining table is piled up.  The living room is full of boxes.  The kitchen counters have only small spaces available for cooking.  Oy.  Oh well, I've been meaning to work on decluttering for months, and now I have an incentive.  At least the guest bathroom only needs to have the cat litter dust washed off.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #417 on: July 16, 2014, 10:45:30 AM »
I have a confession to make. At the last minute, I pulled the one coffee pot out of the bag for Goodwill. As in, as I was taking it out of my trunk to bring into them! But if that's all I kept, I guess its not all bad.

demarco

« Reply #418 on: July 16, 2014, 01:49:54 PM »
I have a confession to make. At the last minute, I pulled the one coffee pot out of the bag for Goodwill. As in, as I was taking it out of my trunk to bring into them! But if that's all I kept, I guess its not all bad.

Not bad at all. I've done that a lot. I'll put a bag in the garage and leave it there until I'm going near the drop box or wherever else I'm taking it. I'll have second thoughts at the last minute and pull something out. Overall we're making progress and that's what counts.

gmatoy

« Reply #419 on: July 16, 2014, 03:15:07 PM »
So, I've decided that I am not going to buy stuff without a plan of action: what will it be used for and how soon, where will it go, what will leave to make that space available. The last one is there because there is no room anywhere in my house! I'm not good at decluttering as I always have a use for it or DH bought it for me and would be crushed if I gave any of his gifts away. (He would be dismayed to know that I have a reoccurring dream in which I watch him drive away and immediately pack up hundreds of his gifts and give them away.)