News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 18, 2017, 09:22:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 227504 times)

siamesecat2965

Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #420 on: August 12, 2014, 12:02:06 PM »
My own place isn't getting decluttered but I've been doing a lot of work on my Dad's place in preparation for him moving to an apartment and putting his house on the market.

Oh, my deity, the paperwork!  Gathered up from all over the house but now all organized in one file box with everything else that was out of date getting burned or recycled.  It was insane.

It really doesn't look like we've done very much but it's coming along.  He gets the apartment on Friday and we're hoping to get him mostly moved in this weekend, finishing on Labour Day weekend with the final clean up of the house to put it on the market.

I'm so tired...

I feel your pain. I helped my parents clean out 30 years worth of stuff when they  moved from NJ to VA, and then a couple years later, after my dad died, my mom from the bigger house to a smaller one. Her final move, so I'm told now, will be in the next year or two, to an independent living facility closer to me. Bit huge PITA to do that, but happy she will not be 8 hours away, and will have less "stuff" for me to eventually deal iwth.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #421 on: August 12, 2014, 12:04:20 PM »
We already took a dumpster worth of stuff out of the basement.  We could probably use another one but we may make do with just a couple of dump runs.  We'll see how it goes...

This coming weekend will be the first weekend my brother has been down.  If he says that it doesn't look like I've done anything, I might need bail money on Monday...
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Bijou

« Reply #422 on: August 12, 2014, 12:24:55 PM »
WHY OH WHY do I get the decluttering urge at 8pm??   Last night I just Could. Not. Sleep until I'd moved a bunch of stuff and sorted, and honestly, I sat on the bed and stared at the shelves on the opposite wall of the bedroom for a good 20 minutes, thinking about where I was going to move *that* to, and what would I move into that spot, and how could I arrange that better??   I couldn't calm down until after 10pm, and I had a pile of old pillows and boxes by the front door to be taken out and tossed in the dumpster on my way to work.
And I get up at 4am.  That alarm was a killer. 

But there are some lovely, glorious empty SPACES.......
Sometimes I get that same thing happening to me at weird hours.  I love it because when I get up the next morning the house is neater. 
I did just that thing a couple of weeks ago.  I have one dresser and have trouble fitting my trousers and shirts into it because the drawer is too small.  I sat there staring at the dresser in the middle of the night and suddenly, after having the dresser for 5 years or more, noticed that the undies drawer, which has a lot less in it was in the biggest drawer, while I struggled to fit my outer clothes into the skinny drawer.  Hello?   I switched them around right then and there!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #423 on: August 12, 2014, 01:05:57 PM »
We already took a dumpster worth of stuff out of the basement.  We could probably use another one but we may make do with just a couple of dump runs.  We'll see how it goes...

This coming weekend will be the first weekend my brother has been down.  If he says that it doesn't look like I've done anything, I might need bail money on Monday...

Got you beat. My parents had three :)

siamesecat2965

« Reply #424 on: August 12, 2014, 01:06:48 PM »
WHY OH WHY do I get the decluttering urge at 8pm??   Last night I just Could. Not. Sleep until I'd moved a bunch of stuff and sorted, and honestly, I sat on the bed and stared at the shelves on the opposite wall of the bedroom for a good 20 minutes, thinking about where I was going to move *that* to, and what would I move into that spot, and how could I arrange that better??   I couldn't calm down until after 10pm, and I had a pile of old pillows and boxes by the front door to be taken out and tossed in the dumpster on my way to work.
And I get up at 4am.  That alarm was a killer. 

But there are some lovely, glorious empty SPACES.......
Sometimes I get that same thing happening to me at weird hours.  I love it because when I get up the next morning the house is neater. 
I did just that thing a couple of weeks ago.  I have one dresser and have trouble fitting my trousers and shirts into it because the drawer is too small.  I sat there staring at the dresser in the middle of the night and suddenly, after having the dresser for 5 years or more, noticed that the undies drawer, which has a lot less in it was in the biggest drawer, while I struggled to fit my outer clothes into the skinny drawer.  Hello?   I switched them around right then and there!

Isn't is amazing how all of a sudden the light bulb goes on and you wonder how it was you never thought to do that thing before? It's happened to me as well. And then I wonder where my brain has been all this time!

Bijou

« Reply #425 on: August 12, 2014, 01:38:07 PM »

Isn't is amazing how all of a sudden the light bulb goes on and you wonder how it was you never thought to do that thing before? It's happened to me as well. And then I wonder where my brain has been all this time!
It is amazing.  I makes me wonder what else I am overlooking!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

demarco

« Reply #426 on: August 12, 2014, 06:54:20 PM »
I had eight file boxes of "dead files" in my basement when I started my file weeding project months ago. I am down to six boxes now. Today I started scanning some paperwork that I do not need to keep but cannot bring myself to part with. Once I get through it I can shred the originals and eliminate another box. Baby steps but it's all I can manage as far as paperwork goes. I am irrationally attached to paperwork.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #427 on: August 12, 2014, 07:43:10 PM »
I got my Dad's down from a four drawer filing cabinet, desk drawers, various piles all over the house to one file box.  And since I'm the one who does his taxes, it's set up in the way it works best for me, with clear labels for Dad to file stuff as it comes in.

My own stuff is in one little two drawer cabinet.  The bottom drawer is the previous 6 years, required to be kept for tax auditing purposes.  The top drawer is all the current stuff.  I've been good about filing everything after my hoarder room clear out a month or so ago.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Lady Tempest

« Reply #428 on: January 10, 2015, 12:09:47 AM »
Bumping the thread for motivation and because Christmas brought out my hard nosed side.  For various reasons the apartment has not been well looked after for the last year or so, and I was very stressed about hosting Christmas dinner. 
So I picked a weekend just before Christmas and started tackling things I've been putting off for a long time.  Before I was done I had four bags of garbage, another four of recycling, and two boxes and two bags for Goodwill, and the place is much cleaner.  I feel much lighter now, and I actually had room for the Christmas tree. 
I'm going to keep going now that the holidays are over; no more Ms. Nice Guy.  As OutdoorGirl has recommended, if it has been more than a year, it's outta here!

crella

« Reply #429 on: January 10, 2015, 02:07:39 AM »
Good for you! It feels good to make progress!

YummyMummy66

« Reply #430 on: January 10, 2015, 05:05:27 AM »
My poor husband.  He always says that if he is not used, he will be outta here!  Lol....

I am not a pack rat.  He very well could be, but lucky for him, he has me. 

That being said, we have been in our home now for nine years.   We do get rid of stuff from time to time, but it is now time for another major declutter.

I started with Christmas stuff.  This was pretty much well done from previous years, but I bought new Rubbermaid tubs at Wallyworld and now everything Christmas is in red/green tubs all nicely stacked in a corner in our basement.  I want to go thru the rest of our stuff in there and re-tub and organize. 

I have six huge Lowe's cardboard boxes of things that I have to give away or get out of the house. I am going thru an extra bedroom which I have to finish this weekend.  Gave the queen bed to my son and we are getting a daybed from an FB yard sale sight tomorrow.

My goal is to major declutter by Spring and get this stuff out of the house.  I will take pictures and put them on our local FB yard sale sight for free.  I have done too many yard sales. I am not pricing.  Just come get it and we are good.  Anything left over, will go to Goodwill.

Then our Spring project is my husband's garage.   We need a good week to do that.  He can never find anything and he knows I am good at organizing.  After that, he had better not complain he cannot find anything!

AvidReader

« Reply #431 on: January 10, 2015, 10:37:20 AM »
When we moved into our home 22 years ago, I thought we'd never acquire enough stuff to fill it.   Right......   Well, sometime within the next 10 years or so, we will likely downsize...hopefully later rather than sooner.  I don't want to face a massive shedding program before the stress of a move, nor do I want to move stuff that I really won't want or need.  Not that we are running a clutter-o-rama here.  My almost-a-packrat of a DH describes my decorating style as "Spartan." 

That all said, I've started going room by room in order to reduce the size of my heap.  Three cartons of books went to the library for their Friends' fundraising sale...with more to come.  Untold numbers of bags and cartons of stuff went for a charity pickup...with more to come.  Going through the kitchen drawers was a revelation of tools and implements that go back to the 70s.  Metals went to recycling and the rest got tossed.  As we put up and took down the Christmas tree, I ruthlessly edited ornaments past their prime.    My mantra is that it is OK to have an empty shelf in a closet.   And my other mantra is that no one gets to reduce the size of their heap by increasing the size of mine. 

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #432 on: January 10, 2015, 11:36:55 AM »
My vertigo has improved enough that I can do a limited amount of things and we decided about a month ago (me, my SO (Don), and his other SO) that our bedroom situation needs to be changed around.

Long story short: Jenny (Don's other SO) has a lot anxiety issues and needs to have a room that she can have entirely to herself and shut out the world when she needs to be alone. When Don & Jenny moved into my place, we had 2 bedrooms to use. One we made a communal bedroom, & one is the spare bedroom (because we don't all sleep (and I do mean sleep) together every night. We all sleep together some nights of the week, and Don & Jenny sleep together some nights and Don & I sleep together some nights, so we need 2 bedrooms). Because I'd already been living in the apartment, and we didn't do a good enough job of mixing our stuff up, the bedroom I'd been using remained sort of my room/the spare bedroom, and the communal room became Jenny's hide-out room. But since it's also supposed to be the communal bedroom, that has caused some issues (very very long story). So we decided to pull ALL the furniture out of both bedrooms this month, repaint both rooms, make the spare bedroom into Jenny's room, and rearrange the furniture in a way that works better for both rooms AND get rid of stuff that we don't need.

Whew!

In cleaning out the spare bedroom, I have already found a TON of stuff I don't want/need. And I'm doing that thing - ya'll know The Thing? Where you want to get rid of stuff, but if it still works/is good you want to donate it, but donating things involving finding places to take them, and then schlepping them when the place is open (and I have to tell you, this is one of the rare times when I miss owning a car & living outside of NYC. Taking things piecemeal on public transit when you have a bad arm, chronic pain and vertigo instead of putting EVERYTHING into a car & making one trip...ugh, five magnitudes harder), hoping that they really WILL be open until 7 like they said when they called...so things end up sitting in your home for months (or maybe even years) in the To Be Donated stack, which turns into a pile, which turns into a mountain...

Yeah, I'm going to try really hard not to do The Thing.

Clothes I can donate easily (hurrah!). Everything else? I'm going to do a little looking to donate it, and if it's not easy to do, it's going to go by our garbage for the building with a "Free/Still Works" sign, & if nobody grabs it, I'm tossing it. The part of me that's super environmentally conservative is very unhappy with that, but I've got to get crap out of here.

And doing it while we're in the middle of rearranging two bedrooms...that's prime crap-tossing season...
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

JoW

« Reply #433 on: January 10, 2015, 11:57:57 AM »
Celany - some charities will pick-up donations if you have enough to make the trip worthwhile.  I won't hurt to call and ask.

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #434 on: January 10, 2015, 12:58:49 PM »
Celany - some charities will pick-up donations if you have enough to make the trip worthwhile.  I won't hurt to call and ask.

I've tried before, and I'll try again, but my experience in NYC is that they're more likely to suggest that you rent a car yourself or get a taxi or figure it out on you're own. It's been a number of years since I called inquiring, and maybe the change in economic climate would make a difference, but last time, I was met with incredulity that I've even ask.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine