Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 38568 times)

LadyJaneinMD

Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #435 on: July 24, 2014, 11:44:19 AM »
WHY OH WHY do I get the decluttering urge at 8pm??   Last night I just Could. Not. Sleep until I'd moved a bunch of stuff and sorted, and honestly, I sat on the bed and stared at the shelves on the opposite wall of the bedroom for a good 20 minutes, thinking about where I was going to move *that* to, and what would I move into that spot, and how could I arrange that better??   I couldn't calm down until after 10pm, and I had a pile of old pillows and boxes by the front door to be taken out and tossed in the dumpster on my way to work.
And I get up at 4am.  That alarm was a killer. 

But there are some lovely, glorious empty SPACES....... 

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #436 on: July 28, 2014, 10:19:58 AM »
That happens to me sometimes, too. Especially the staring part. I like to think that my brain is sort of defragmenting and planning and emotionally accepting getting rid of some things.

Last night I also had the urge to start cleaning out a particular space under the bed--after I was already supposed to be asleep! Sometimes you have to harness that energy and use it whenever it appears. Though last night I just told myself to get over it and go to sleep. ;)
~Lynn2000

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #437 on: August 11, 2014, 04:57:35 PM »
So, this past weekend I finally cleaned out under the bed! It was quite a trial. My bed is built-in to the bedroom and it has this cavity carved out underneath it that you can only access from one-half of the foot of the bed. And the designers felt two feet was a perfectly good amount of space to leave between the foot of the bed and the wall. So, just getting into a position to reach under there and drag something out requires a certain amount of gymnastic ability.

I got all my blank notebooks out and sorted them, chose about a dozen to get rid of, then packed them back up. I learned that 1) I have enough notebooks to last the rest of my life; and 2) I will apparently buy anything that has the Eiffel Tower on it.

In the end my bedroom really doesn't look any different to the eye. But, I know that many things have been thrown out or piled up for donation, other things moved into those places, and thus other places are freed up.

Next I will be tackling a stack of plastic drawers which contains a lot of receipts and stuff like that. I've emptied out the two easiest drawers so far. I want to get rid of the whole thing as there's something else I'd like to get that would be stored there.
~Lynn2000

magicdomino

« Reply #438 on: August 11, 2014, 05:38:33 PM »
What is it about dining tables and Stuff?  As part of a major house cleaning for house guests, I cleaned off most of the stuff on the dining table.  One corner was still occupied, but at least more than one person could eat on it.  That was last week.  Yesterday, I realized that most of the surface was covered again.  Granted part was the Sunday newspaper, and some stuff was from cleaning off a small table, but you'd think it would stay clear a little longer! 

gmatoy

« Reply #439 on: August 11, 2014, 11:37:38 PM »
Worked on my sewing desk; got rid of old thread on a wooden thread rack, moved some to the other rack and took down the first rack altogether! If anyone else walked into that room, they would not see what I got done. But I do and it makes me happy!

I planned that decluttering my sewing room was going to be, in large part, using up stuff I had. I know that will take longer, but I can not stand to waste the money I spent on those things, especially since I would just have to buy them again! So far it has been working out as planned, except at a slower rate. I helped DGD to make 4 skirts with fabric I already had. :)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #440 on: August 12, 2014, 08:46:20 AM »
My own place isn't getting decluttered but I've been doing a lot of work on my Dad's place in preparation for him moving to an apartment and putting his house on the market.

Oh, my deity, the paperwork!  Gathered up from all over the house but now all organized in one file box with everything else that was out of date getting burned or recycled.  It was insane.

It really doesn't look like we've done very much but it's coming along.  He gets the apartment on Friday and we're hoping to get him mostly moved in this weekend, finishing on Labour Day weekend with the final clean up of the house to put it on the market.

I'm so tired...
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #441 on: August 12, 2014, 01:02:06 PM »
My own place isn't getting decluttered but I've been doing a lot of work on my Dad's place in preparation for him moving to an apartment and putting his house on the market.

Oh, my deity, the paperwork!  Gathered up from all over the house but now all organized in one file box with everything else that was out of date getting burned or recycled.  It was insane.

It really doesn't look like we've done very much but it's coming along.  He gets the apartment on Friday and we're hoping to get him mostly moved in this weekend, finishing on Labour Day weekend with the final clean up of the house to put it on the market.

I'm so tired...

I feel your pain. I helped my parents clean out 30 years worth of stuff when they  moved from NJ to VA, and then a couple years later, after my dad died, my mom from the bigger house to a smaller one. Her final move, so I'm told now, will be in the next year or two, to an independent living facility closer to me. Bit huge PITA to do that, but happy she will not be 8 hours away, and will have less "stuff" for me to eventually deal iwth.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #442 on: August 12, 2014, 01:04:20 PM »
We already took a dumpster worth of stuff out of the basement.  We could probably use another one but we may make do with just a couple of dump runs.  We'll see how it goes...

This coming weekend will be the first weekend my brother has been down.  If he says that it doesn't look like I've done anything, I might need bail money on Monday...
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #443 on: August 12, 2014, 01:24:55 PM »
WHY OH WHY do I get the decluttering urge at 8pm??   Last night I just Could. Not. Sleep until I'd moved a bunch of stuff and sorted, and honestly, I sat on the bed and stared at the shelves on the opposite wall of the bedroom for a good 20 minutes, thinking about where I was going to move *that* to, and what would I move into that spot, and how could I arrange that better??   I couldn't calm down until after 10pm, and I had a pile of old pillows and boxes by the front door to be taken out and tossed in the dumpster on my way to work.

Sometimes I get that same thing happening to me at weird hours.  I love it because when I get up the next morning the house is neater. 
I did just that thing a couple of weeks ago.  I have one dresser and have trouble fitting my trousers and shirts into it because the drawer is too small.  I sat there staring at the dresser in the middle of the night and suddenly, after having the dresser for 5 years or more, noticed that the undies drawer, which has a lot less in it was in the biggest drawer, while I struggled to fit my outer clothes into the skinny drawer.  Hello?   I switched them around right then and there!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #444 on: August 12, 2014, 02:05:57 PM »
We already took a dumpster worth of stuff out of the basement.  We could probably use another one but we may make do with just a couple of dump runs.  We'll see how it goes...

This coming weekend will be the first weekend my brother has been down.  If he says that it doesn't look like I've done anything, I might need bail money on Monday...

Got you beat. My parents had three :)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #445 on: August 12, 2014, 02:06:48 PM »

Sometimes I get that same thing happening to me at weird hours.  I love it because when I get up the next morning the house is neater. 
I did just that thing a couple of weeks ago.  I have one dresser and have trouble fitting my trousers and shirts into it because the drawer is too small.  I sat there staring at the dresser in the middle of the night and suddenly, after having the dresser for 5 years or more, noticed that the undies drawer, which has a lot less in it was in the biggest drawer, while I struggled to fit my outer clothes into the skinny drawer.  Hello?   I switched them around right then and there!

Isn't is amazing how all of a sudden the light bulb goes on and you wonder how it was you never thought to do that thing before? It's happened to me as well. And then I wonder where my brain has been all this time!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #446 on: August 12, 2014, 02:38:07 PM »

Isn't is amazing how all of a sudden the light bulb goes on and you wonder how it was you never thought to do that thing before? It's happened to me as well. And then I wonder where my brain has been all this time!
It is amazing.  I makes me wonder what else I am overlooking!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

demarco

« Reply #447 on: August 12, 2014, 07:54:20 PM »
I had eight file boxes of "dead files" in my basement when I started my file weeding project months ago. I am down to six boxes now. Today I started scanning some paperwork that I do not need to keep but cannot bring myself to part with. Once I get through it I can shred the originals and eliminate another box. Baby steps but it's all I can manage as far as paperwork goes. I am irrationally attached to paperwork.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #448 on: August 12, 2014, 08:43:10 PM »
I got my Dad's down from a four drawer filing cabinet, desk drawers, various piles all over the house to one file box.  And since I'm the one who does his taxes, it's set up in the way it works best for me, with clear labels for Dad to file stuff as it comes in.

My own stuff is in one little two drawer cabinet.  The bottom drawer is the previous 6 years, required to be kept for tax auditing purposes.  The top drawer is all the current stuff.  I've been good about filing everything after my hoarder room clear out a month or so ago.
Ontario