News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 22, 2017, 10:37:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 213143 times)

Ereine

Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #435 on: January 10, 2015, 01:21:51 PM »
I've been doing a decluttering project lately. I usually go through everything every few years and get rid of stuff and organize the rest and it will always be as bad the next time. My living area isn't usually too bad (though not at all spartan) but my closets are embarrassing. The worst is a walk-in closet that you can't often really walk into, I live in a studio apartment and it's the main storage. I'm a bit of a back rat and have hobbies that require a lot of supplies and that isn't a good combination with a smallish apartment. My goal is to go through all my closets and I started with the walk-in closet. My plan was originally just organize my clothes and I got some new storage and laundry bins from Ikea for it. Now it looks so nice that I want to go through the rest of the closet, it's full of boxes of all sorts of things. Some of it has nostalgic or practical value but there are lots of things that I don't really need or want. Like a box of knitting swatches, with no idea of the yarn or needle size. Or a box of used padded envelopes, I used to do craft and book swapping and so they were useful but now they just take space. I also have a box of things I got from the craft swaps, cards and crafts and I don't really know what to do with them. They don't have much sentimental value but just throwing them out seems wrong. There's also a box full of papers from the six months I spent studying abroad ten years ago, maybe I'll just save the most interesting ones.

One thing I managed to after years of planning was to take expired drugs to a pharmacy. I don't know why it took so long, I even moved some of them with me a few times. I felt embarrassed by it, but my mother had just gotten rid of her expired drugs and apparently there were some that were my father's (they divorced 15 years ago) and possibly my great aunt's (she died in 1908s). So it's either not as uncommon as I thought or it's just genetic. I still need to get rid of broken electric things, there's recycling place reasonably close but I don't have car either and though my town is like a tiny village compared with NYC it still takes quite a lot of time and effort on public transport.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #436 on: January 10, 2015, 01:38:52 PM »
I finally took down my tree and decorations today. A couple years back, I really declutter ex my Christmas stuff, but I took a page out of moms book this time. She and I went through all her ornaments, tossed some, and brought back a partially filled shoebox with others. Some from childhood that I refuse to part with. I then went through mine, doing the same thing, and using the same shoebox to gather some to take back to my mom, for her church's annual sale,which they call "Attic Treasures" they're too nice to simply donate but not too many, and they will benefit the church.

I also went around and organized and put away all the little piddly things that seem to breed overnight between my purse and work tote, I had 4 small makeup bags, which I organized, including 7 lip balms. Really????? Now all I have to do is take a ton of trash out tomorrow, and then clean from top to bottom. If I do it this weekend, I'm off all of next so I can play!

faithlessone

« Reply #437 on: January 10, 2015, 01:57:24 PM »
Tomorrow, I've decided, I'm going to declutter my wardrobe. Anything I didn't wear in 2014 is going to get put in a pile, and then I will decide on a case by case basis. Hopefully I can clear enough that I'll be able actually see what's in there again!

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #438 on: January 10, 2015, 11:23:18 PM »
Today my husband decluttered the utility room. I think he was inspired by how tidy the rest of the house is after my nesting phase. He said it had needed doing but I have no idea what tipped because that has been true for years.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #439 on: January 11, 2015, 07:20:18 AM »
I just have to say how nice it was to come home rom work last night and see all surfaces clean and clutter free!

Ms Marple

« Reply #440 on: January 11, 2015, 08:08:31 AM »
I have been decluttering since September. It started out with books and then it started snowballing. I have never been a packrat but we have been living in this house for 9 years and both sets of parents died during this time. In September, I first went through books and magazines,  which was followed by opening other cupboards. Everything which was not used, was put on the dining table, boxed up and taken to goodwill. I asked certain people if they wanted certain things. If yes, I gave it away. If not, I took it to Goodwill.  I decluttered my wardrobe several times, followed by the linen cupboard, shoes, handbags, bathroom, etc. In December I had reached the attic. There not much clutter there, but I got rid of other decorative items, my wedding dress and anything I got my hands on.

Then we got 2 kittens, better known as the demolition squad. They have been doing their own decluttering thing with my stuff, when not playing with their own toys... I still want to get rid of my mother's best china dinner service, but I am looking for suitable place. However, when I run out of patience, it might still end up there.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #441 on: January 11, 2015, 01:28:50 PM »
My house looks like the attic threw up. I'm usually out of the house M-F from 6am to 6pm. Which makes the declutter project harder.

Yesterday, I pulled out the microwave cart, installed a shelfe and a wall-mounted pot rack, cleaned the floor of the cart's location, cleaned the microwave, cleaned under the microwave, dumped the crumbs from the toaster, and pushed the cart back into it's place.

I removed my RevereWare pots and pans from the small, crowded lower cabinet, and used hooks to hang them from the rack. I put some pieces of vintage pottery on the shelfe, freeing up part of the counter top. I put the basket of food storage bags in the place where the pots and pans used to be.

A whole bunch of small steps will eventually get the job done.

gmatoy

« Reply #442 on: January 11, 2015, 08:00:15 PM »

A whole bunch of small steps will eventually get the job done.

Thank you for reminding me of this! I get discouraged!

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #443 on: January 11, 2015, 08:26:34 PM »
This thread has inspired me to start decluttering.  The house isn't at the 'little tracks through' stage, but just too much stuff, not put away, and groups of Things getting together and multiplying.  I'm hoping to make it feel a lot more clutter-free, and added bonus make it easier to keep clean. 

Over the past few months I've reorganised and decluttered the kitchen (twice), making it much more user-friendly.

Last month I decluttered my wardrobe, and gave away two enormous bags of clothes - most with labels still on  :-[ - darn inconsistent sizing!  The friends who received the bags kept all but a couple of shirts.  These friends also scored my fabulous Silver Star saucepan set that I can no longer use (doesn't work on the induction cooktop) and they love it.  I also got rid of old quilts and pillows beyond their use-by, they went to some pet owners.

Next step was a thorough clean-up of the bedroom. 

The week after that I reorganised my bedroom - moved furniture, the works.  It looks much bigger now, even with the same amount of furniture in it.

Yesterday I started on the 'office' aka that room where everything lands...   ::)  It's bad.  So far I've managed to get rid of a heap of books that I will not read again, or that I have on Kindle.  As I replace more, more will be going.  I have a massive box now filled with books to go.  The bookshelves have been cleaned and reorganised.  The mostly empty one after the great book purge will be to house my yarn/craft/fabric stuff.  I managed to empty the Last Box from when I moved 4 years ago - fabric, patterns, bits and bobs of sewing stuff.  Still to go is the desk clean up, move furniture, rationalise the extra seating and get all the 'shed' stuff to the shed.  It's a really big room, and it could look great.  It wouldn't be a huge problem except that you must pass through this room to get from the front door to the lounge room.

Next jobs after this are to reorganise the garage and clean/reorganise my wine rack - which is also covered by shed stuff.   ::)  And a few billion dust bunnies. 

After reading this list, I think I need to visit the wine rack sooner rather than later...

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

Bales

« Reply #444 on: January 11, 2015, 09:10:30 PM »
Anyone have any advice for when you get "stuck?"  By that I mean, I try to declutter and where I get hung up is trying to figure out the best WAY to organize what I have.  Basket? Bin? Oh, let me go to Home Goods to see what they have... no, let me look online to see what's out there... oh, look at this on Pinterest!... and then before you know it, things are just still in piles and not organized because I can't find what I think is perfect to organize it. 

I know I have to just "make do" with what I have (which is plenty - I'm don't have any shortage of bins/baskets/boxes!) and make a separate list of things to be on the look out for, but look for them at a separate time.  Any words of wisdom here?  It's like I can't move forward unless the end result is clear in my mind.

GreenBird

« Reply #445 on: January 11, 2015, 10:53:03 PM »
I get stuck trying to figure out the "best" way to organize stuff too.  What I've heard is
"Don't let perfect stand in the way of progress".  Don't set your goal to make things perfect - set your goal to make things better than when you started.  You'll never actually make things perfect, and if that's your goal, you end up paralyzed before you even start.  Focus on making things better, and it's easier to move forward.  I've found that organizing is kind of a learn-as-you-go process anyway.  As you learn what works well for you and what doesn't, your organizing systems will need to change and adapt.  So you never can really reach perfection, but you can reach "works well for me" and "works better than it used to". 

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #446 on: January 12, 2015, 07:24:44 AM »
To whomever got this thread revived, thank you! I have been doing some interesting declutter on our clothing. My dh keeps wearing his jeans until he's nearly R-rated (too many holes!) and his t-shirts til the neckbands are raggedy.  So I chopped the legs off the jeans, cut them into strips and knitted myself a nice bathroom rug!  The legs from three pairs of jeans made about a two foot square mat that is cushy and very washable.  I then got hold of some of our old, stained, tattered t-shirts and other knit shirts, stripped them and the rug I got from that (nicely striped in our favorite colors) is three by two feet! So the nasty, thin rugs that are about ten years old are out, and "new" cushy ones are in! This only took about three days of spare time, I was happy.
Yesterday, I started reading this thread, then went and got my kitchen cupboards (well, half of them) cleared out and the counter below that half. Wow, space.  I have a penchant for cookie tins and plastic storage containers, but when the lids go AWOL, I need to identify and pitch.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #447 on: January 12, 2015, 10:41:07 AM »
To whomever got this thread revived, thank you! I have been doing some interesting declutter on our clothing. My dh keeps wearing his jeans until he's nearly R-rated (too many holes!) and his t-shirts til the neckbands are raggedy.  So I chopped the legs off the jeans, cut them into strips and knitted myself a nice bathroom rug!  The legs from three pairs of jeans made about a two foot square mat that is cushy and very washable.  I then got hold of some of our old, stained, tattered t-shirts and other knit shirts, stripped them and the rug I got from that (nicely striped in our favorite colors) is three by two feet! So the nasty, thin rugs that are about ten years old are out, and "new" cushy ones are in! This only took about three days of spare time, I was happy.
Yesterday, I started reading this thread, then went and got my kitchen cupboards (well, half of them) cleared out and the counter below that half. Wow, space.  I have a penchant for cookie tins and plastic storage containers, but when the lids go AWOL, I need to identify and pitch.

I mentioned upthread, I think, that I did this in July when I took a week's "staycation" I also kept and found in another cabinet, some of the disposable containers, which I now use for stuff I put in the freezer, esp anything tomato based, since it bugs me to see my nice matching ones get discolored. And I'm happy to report that 6 months in, i haven't lost any containers or lids, and the cabinet where I put them so nicely is still very nicely organized.

I'm planning on taking another week this summer, and will try and tackle the misc stuff in my living room closet. Living in an apt, I have that, a pretty dcent sized linen closet, and a bit walk-in in my bedroom. so the LR one holds all the misc stuff. My mom is giving me a larger plastic container, which I think i can use to condense the contents of one box, and a smaller container. i hope so.

sylviatexas

« Reply #448 on: January 12, 2015, 10:51:49 AM »
' You'll never actually make things perfect, and if that's your goal, you end up paralyzed before you even start.'

absolutely!

& it's so easy to get sidetracked onto something fiddley.

Yesterday I couldn't find my keys, looked through the bathroom shelves...
organized my earrings!

siamesecat2965

« Reply #449 on: January 12, 2015, 12:45:50 PM »
Anyone have any advice for when you get "stuck?"  By that I mean, I try to declutter and where I get hung up is trying to figure out the best WAY to organize what I have.  Basket? Bin? Oh, let me go to Home Goods to see what they have... no, let me look online to see what's out there... oh, look at this on Pinterest!... and then before you know it, things are just still in piles and not organized because I can't find what I think is perfect to organize it. 

I know I have to just "make do" with what I have (which is plenty - I'm don't have any shortage of bins/baskets/boxes!) and make a separate list of things to be on the look out for, but look for them at a separate time.  Any words of wisdom here?  It's like I can't move forward unless the end result is clear in my mind.

I've gone about it in two different ways. I'll start cleaning a room, say my LR. I will either go around and pick up everything that goes in another room, like the kitchen, and take care of those things. Then everything that goes in the bedroom, and put them away, and so on.

Or, I'll start with an area, say my coffee table, and put everything on it where it belongs, and move onto everything on teh floor, on the couch, and so on.

As far as trying to organize, sometimes I will do really well, and get to the end, with a bunch of misc papers i want to keep, and sometimes they just end up right back in the bag they came out of. Everything else, items to be shredded, tossed, etc. are done, but sometiems you have to just admit defeat, and go back at a later date.