Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 34577 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
DECLUTTERING
« on: August 10, 2013, 06:00:47 PM »
I wish we had an ongoing thread on decluttering.  I think quite a few have been started, but I couldn't find one, sooooo...

I'm bragging!  I started again on a decluttering binge and am doing so well!  I have been able to let go of a lot of things that I couldn't before.  I have lots of art books and supplies and I have passed quite a few of my most important ones (translates to things I was holding on to for dear life, in case i ever decided to paint, do colored pencil work, etc.).  I fortunately have quite a few people with artistic bent in the family who are happy to take them off my hands.     
I am also mercilessly throwing things into the thrift store box.  I put quite a few things in a box to be stored, and went through it again this morning and was able to pull out some items and put them where they really belonged...in the thrift store box.  Ahhhhh,  what a relief!
Not only that, I got a few pictures that had just been displayed by leaning them against the walls, up on the wall. 
What I find myself doing most of the time is just rearranging all the knick-knacky kinds of things I have filling every space instead of reducing the visual noise by getting rid of the ones that are not that important to me.  I have rocks crystals, stones, etc coming out my ears.  They are all safely in a box going into storage.  I love how they make me feel, but in the midst of all the mess they are just annoying.  I know where they are so when I get a handle on things I can get them out again. 
I'm going to be getting some plants to put here and there for the freshness and life they bring to the space.   
I'm feeling pretty good about this!  And feeling good keeps me going.
Anyone else on the decluttering wagon?
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 06:18:28 PM »
Congratulations! My biggest joy as a professional organizer is to see my clients have the experience you are having! It does get easier, doesn't it? It is also an ongoing process  - as you've found out, this time around, you've decluttered items you weren't able to part with last time.

I tell everyone that Done Is Better Than Perfect.

Step back, admire your hard work and reward yourself!

daen

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 06:23:06 PM »
I wish we had an ongoing thread on decluttering.  I think quite a few have been started, but I couldn't find one, sooooo...

I'm bragging!  I started again on a decluttering binge and am doing so well!  I have been able to let go of a lot of things that I couldn't before.  I have lots of art books and supplies and I have passed quite a few of my most important ones (translates to things I was holding on to for dear life, in case i ever decided to paint, do colored pencil work, etc.).  I fortunately have quite a few people with artistic bent in the family who are happy to take them off my hands.     
I am also mercilessly throwing things into the thrift store box.  I put quite a few things in a box to be stored, and went through it again this morning and was able to pull out some items and put them where they really belonged...in the thrift store box.  Ahhhhh,  what a relief!
Not only that, I got a few pictures that had just been displayed by leaning them against the walls, up on the wall. 
What I find myself doing most of the time is just rearranging all the knick-knacky kinds of things I have filling every space instead of reducing the visual noise by getting rid of the ones that are not that important to me.  I have rocks crystals, stones, etc coming out my ears.  They are all safely in a box going into storage.  I love how they make me feel, but in the midst of all the mess they are just annoying.  I know where they are so when I get a handle on things I can get them out again. 
I'm going to be getting some plants to put here and there for the freshness and life they bring to the space.   
I'm feeling pretty good about this!  And feeling good keeps me going.
*raises hand timidly*
Me.
Well, soon.

We're finishing out our contract and going home in about two months, and we're going to try to fit everything into two suitcases and a carryon apiece. We've been trying not to accumulate stuff, but things sort of collect in the corners over time.
Next month I plan to get serious about weeding through the stuff I want to take back and the stuff that belongs to our furnished apartment, to see what can stay, what can be donated or trashed, and what can be packed.
I also plan on starting the cleaning process early in the less-used corners of the apartment, so I'm not frantically cleaning and packing the day before we leave. Been there, done that, used the Tshirt to clean the windows on moving day.

I suspect that when we get back, we will do some decluttering as well. There's a ton of stuff that's been stored for a year, and aside from my books, I haven't really missed most of it...

JoW

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 07:06:49 PM »
I'm trying.  Oh how I'm trying.   I got rid of a 30-year old stereo 2 weeks ago.

The next big item I need to get rid of is a set of encyclopedias from the early 60's.  Gorgeous books.  They haven't been opened since about 1970.  No one has any use for them.  They belong in the recycle bin.  But it hurts to pitch them. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 07:39:58 PM »
Congratulations! My biggest joy as a professional organizer is to see my clients have the experience you are having! It does get easier, doesn't it? It is also an ongoing process  - as you've found out, this time around, you've decluttered items you weren't able to part with last time.

I tell everyone that Done Is Better Than Perfect.

Step back, admire your hard work and reward yourself!

When I'm sick of my day job, I want to go work for a professional organizer. In the middle of a career crisis a few years ago, I almost did.

My problem right now is that I get all sort of great "swag" from my day job. I need to man up and toss it.

My favorite way to declutter is to "Toss Ten."

("toss" meaning "send out of my house by trashing, recycling, donating, whatever")

I count to ten based on how I'm feeling. If I'm feeling energetic, the one of the "things" I toss might be "all the pens on the dresser." If I'm feeling low, I count each pen individually.

But usually I start a Toss Ten fortnight by making sure I get rid of ten things every night.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 08:23:18 PM »
Toots, this is my "side business." I keep my full-time gig for the steady income and insurance. I am a professional (member of NAPO, incorporated, etc.). From your name, I gather you're in NYC. Check out the NAPO.net site for POs in your area to contact if you're really interested. Feel free to pm me for more info. I do love it.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 08:38:37 PM »
I have severe packrat tendencies, so I force myself to declutter regularly to keep a handle on it. I keep a box in my closet, so any time I try something on and realize it doesn't fit, isn't flattering, or I just don't like it, I immediately put it in the box. When the box is full, it goes in the garage. When I have two or three boxes, I make a run through the rest of the house finding any other knickknacks and such that I can add to the stack, then take it to Goodwill. It really helps keep things under control.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 08:49:28 PM »
DD and I went through her closet and donated five (5!) huge bags of clothes to Goodwill.  There's still a "bag in progress" as well.

Syfygeek

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 09:12:14 PM »
The other day, my DS came over, I pointed out what I wanted gone from the deck, left for work and hauled stuff to the dump.

That way I couldn't change my mind and keep anything ;D
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 09:15:48 PM »
My housemate is moving out of state, and is packing/sorting/discarding stuff.

My boy is going through the summer growth spurt(s) and outgrowing a lot of his clothes.

And I'm having another round of 'Get Rid Of ALL THE THINGS!!', prompted by ATT accumulating in my bedroom, so they're out of the public areas of the house. Now my bedroom is cluttered and making me crazy.

There is an epic thrift store donation trip in my immediate future. I'll report back.

gmatoy

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 09:57:30 PM »
Well, my version of decluttering is a little different...I sew and my sewing "goodies" have outgrown the "sewing/guest room." So, my summer project is to sew, organize,  and/or donate as much as possible since I have the summers off of work. (Except, of course , the unpaid babysitting that we do for our granddaughter.) There is now a path in the sewing room now and I have sewn every day for a week. Not all day, but for at least some time each day. I'm trying to stay strong!

lisat

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 10:09:01 PM »
I am working on our basement. It seemed to be the catchall of everything that the girls wanted saved. Old blankets, disgust junk. I have found all kinds of things that I had been looking for-but no longer need. Stuff ordered that never got used. Stuff stuff stuff. Couldn't stand it anymore. I have the girls go through their stuff and either get rid of it-do something with it but not leaving it here etc. What is left is going either to the dump-recyle or thrift store. They had their chance. Then there is/was the hubby's " I 'm going to fix that" but never did and it is now so rusty-ruined that there is no reason to even have it. I want my basement cleared!! Of course some of that stuff is mine-old material-bird feeders-old glasses etc. It is quite a chore and it is taken me quit awhile but it does feel good to be able to go down there and actually see space-walls. Still a work in progress but it is progress.

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »

Me! We have some renovations going on and so have been decluttering as we go to make room for the supplies. We've cleared out a patio that was holding furniture that was just not worth saving, the garage, most of the basement and I'm working on the main floor. I'm hoping to make major progress on this once school starts again.

I have to say, I LOVE Bagster! It can handle a lot and at least in our area, it's not much more than a trip to the dump. We're getting our fourth bag soon. Things would be taking a lot longer if we had to keep running to the dump ourselves to get rid of things. I've been donating to Goodwill and on Freecycle if things are still in good shape, but unfortunately it's not as much as I was hoping.

Also filled up a cardboard recycling dumpster just with what we had in the garage. Some boxes were from two Christmases ago! lol I didn't realize how much we actually had in there...we'd just keep adding to the cardboard pile with the intention of recycling at some point. Feels good to have it all out.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 11:23:24 PM »
Well, my version of decluttering is a little different...I sew and my sewing "goodies" have outgrown the "sewing/guest room." So, my summer project is to sew, organize,  and/or donate as much as possible since I have the summers off of work. (Except, of course , the unpaid babysitting that we do for our granddaughter.) There is now a path in the sewing room now and I have sewn every day for a week. Not all day, but for at least some time each day. I'm trying to stay strong!

Ugh. I need to do that with my scrapbook room soon. It's getting desperate.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 01:19:35 AM »
It's good to know others are doing some decluttering and organizing, too, and all the ideas and tips help, a lot.  I was going to say, "misery loves company", but it feels so good to be doing this, I don't find it at all miserable!

I did get two Spider plants today and the living room already feels fresher and nicer. I love those.  Each of them had tons of little baby plants on long stems.  I cut them off and will probably give them to my daughter to make starts she might be able to sell at her craft fair booth.  She does nature photos so it seems like plants would fit right in.

I am definitely celebrating this breath of fresh air being breathed into the house by paring down all that stuff that keeps staring at me from every surface and corner.   :)

Oh, and I was going to say, something that is kind of spurring me on to keep at it is this:  I tend to not open the drapes on the big windows in the living room, mainly because it puts a glare on the TV when I watch it  :-[.  Even though they are light in color, it makes for a gloomy room, so I am trying to open them every morning.  I'm beginning to think it makes me feel better, or more energetic, to have them open.  Has anyone experienced this?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 01:25:14 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.