Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 37646 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2013, 07:59:37 PM »
I love all the tips and information in this thread, plus it is so motivating for me. 
Today I went through and organized and cleaned three rooms that sorely needed it.  Boy, did that feel great!  And my husband pulled out the fridge and vacuumed what ever it is he vacuums when he cleans it, and he cleared off the top.  The trouble with the top of the fridge is that it's too high for me to clear off without climbing on something and I'm just too clumsy to climb up on stuff.   
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2013, 08:25:42 PM »
I took on the crazy task of clearing out my closet this weekend.

I've lost a significant amount of weight and cleared out every article of too big clothing I owned.  I have a semi walk-in size closet and I couldn't fit any of the stuff I bought the past two weeks in until somethings were cleared out.  My closet looks naked. 

The lady who runs the thrift shop I donate to is going to be thrilled  when I go to drop off stuff.   She said the last batch of stuff didn't last a day when it was put out.  I have several bags worth of really nice clothes to donate.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2013, 08:32:13 PM »

I've lost a significant amount of weight and cleared out every article of too big clothing I owned.  I have a semi walk-in size closet and I couldn't fit any of the stuff I bought the past two weeks in until somethings were cleared out.  My closet looks naked. 

The lady who runs the thrift shop I donate to is going to be thrilled  when I go to drop off stuff.   She said the last batch of stuff didn't last a day when it was put out.  I have several bags worth of really nice clothes to donate.

That IS fun, though having to pay for replacements isn't as much fun! I filled four boxes of clothes for a donation drive a few weeks ago, and I gave several more boxes away a few months ago. It's easier for me to do it in stages. It's actually a lot of fun to go through my closet and just try stuff on, seeing what doesn't fit anymore, and what used to NOT fit but does now. :D

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2013, 08:48:20 PM »

That IS fun, though having to pay for replacements isn't as much fun! I filled four boxes of clothes for a donation drive a few weeks ago, and I gave several more boxes away a few months ago. It's easier for me to do it in stages. It's actually a lot of fun to go through my closet and just try stuff on, seeing what doesn't fit anymore, and what used to NOT fit but does now. :D

I actually only spent about $100 total (some of that was on new underwear, everything else was thrift store purchases).  There were a lot of things I found that still had the original tags, just those finds added up to over $400 retail...I think I made out really good.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2013, 04:59:46 AM »

I did exactly the same thing this weekend! The only difference is that I am scared of putting all the weight back on again so I've stored most of the clothes. There was a whole closet full in the spare room.

Fat ladies don't donate stuff because it's so horribly hard to find that we have to hang on to everything. At least, that's my theory. One of the things I like about being slimmer is being able to find things in charity shops.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2013, 07:22:34 AM »

I did exactly the same thing this weekend! The only difference is that I am scared of putting all the weight back on again so I've stored most of the clothes. There was a whole closet full in the spare room.

Fat ladies don't donate stuff because it's so horribly hard to find that we have to hang on to everything. At least, that's my theory. One of the things I like about being slimmer is being able to find things in charity shops.

I noticed the serious lack of plus sized women's clothing at some places.  I wasn't sure if it was because people don't donate a lot or if it just gets scooped up as soon as it hits the sales floor.  I am having a much easier time finding stuff now that I've hit misses size.

My DH joined me in the purge (with some mild nudging) and I have a HUGE amount of stuff from his side of the closet.  My closet is looking seriously naked and big.  Who knew I had that much room available?

GreenHall

« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2013, 08:48:34 AM »
This is a tip for dealing with paper, that works for me.

I keep all my papers - bills, credit card and bank statements, credit card receipts, etc. for the 6 years plus the current tax year that Revenue Canada requires in case of audit.  You only need to keep tax related stuff, though.  So when I do my taxes, I shred the oldest year of the 6.  These 6 years of records live in the bottom drawer of my two drawer filing cabinet.

The top drawer has all the manuals from various appliances and electronics, as well as 'current' files for all of my bills and statements.  The plan is that I file everything as I receive it.  Yeah, that part doesn't work so well.  I end up filing two or three times a year but at least I don't get completely overwhelmed.

THis year I have a box...anything I should file, goes in the box.  At some point, I will file normally. ...Really I will before it's shredding time...

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2013, 09:22:08 AM »
^That's a good idea - I should get a box that I keep where I open my mail.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

magicdomino

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2013, 11:14:33 AM »
I use one of these to store paperwork:

http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Stanton_6_1_Drawer_Wide_Storage_Cart/410/

The top drawers are labeled Taxes, Receipts, and Statements.  Once a year at tax time, I sort out any unneeded stuff and shred it.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2013, 02:20:19 PM »
I use one of these to store paperwork:

http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Stanton_6_1_Drawer_Wide_Storage_Cart/410/

The top drawers are labeled Taxes, Receipts, and Statements.  Once a year at tax time, I sort out any unneeded stuff and shred it.

Yes, I have something like this too, only it's cheap plastic and two of the wheels have come off.  ::) And, I must admit I do tend to stuff things in it without carefully sorting or going through it on a timely basis. But, considering the amount of stuff it holds, I can't imagine what I did before I got it--the stuff must have been piling up all over my apartment. Theoretically it works well for organizing, if you have a little more discipline than I do... :)
~Lynn2000

shygirl

« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2013, 02:43:13 PM »
I'm moving next week, so I've slowly been going through all of our stuff and throwing things out or donating things.  I have to do it on the sly though, because if my husband knew everything I was donating, he would be upset.  He has some hoarding tendencies.

When we first met, about 10 years ago, he had a printer.  He still has that printer, and it doesn't work.  He refuses to throw it out, thinking someone will find it useful.  So I said "okay, give it to that person who will find a 10+ year old printer useful".  But, he has not given it away, probably because no one in their right mind would find a 10+ year old printer useful.  Usually, when something like this comes up, I just wait a year and get rid of the item, since he's long forgotten about it.  But, we've talked about this stupid printer so many times, he would definitely realize that it is missing.  Siiigh...so we're going to move an obsolete printer to the new house, where it will most definitely collect ever more dust.  I think he's just being stubborn about it now.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2013, 02:44:22 PM »
I've found a milk crate with casters makes a good mobile filing cart.  I use color-coded hanging files (health records, car, insurance, etc.) and go through it when I just feel "fiddly". 

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2013, 02:50:37 PM »
I'm moving next week, so I've slowly been going through all of our stuff and throwing things out or donating things.  I have to do it on the sly though, because if my husband knew everything I was donating, he would be upset.  He has some hoarding tendencies.

When we first met, about 10 years ago, he had a printer.  He still has that printer, and it doesn't work.  He refuses to throw it out, thinking someone will find it useful.  So I said "okay, give it to that person who will find a 10+ year old printer useful".  But, he has not given it away, probably because no one in their right mind would find a 10+ year old printer useful.  Usually, when something like this comes up, I just wait a year and get rid of the item, since he's long forgotten about it.  But, we've talked about this stupid printer so many times, he would definitely realize that it is missing.  Siiigh...so we're going to move an obsolete printer to the new house, where it will most definitely collect ever more dust.  I think he's just being stubborn about it now.

Shygirl, if he just doesn't want it to go to waste, Best Buy will take and recycle old electronics. We took both of our old printers there.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2013, 05:57:59 PM »
Somewhere, we have a fifteen year old laser printer - a very large one.  I may have to take it by Best Buy one of these days....

We never bought more toner for it (original cartridge) but after being in storage for several months while moving (house being built) - it had to run two pages through to clear the static charge on the drum that left a mark on the page....and running three pages of everything that you printed took too long, even back in 1998. 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2013, 09:10:56 PM »
We have a lot of stuff that needs to be thrown out or donated, but with a 6 week old baby now, it's getting hard to do a whole project at once.  When I was about 6 months pregnant I decided to purge my closet.  No idea why that sounded like a good idea, but I tossed out anything that didn't fit or I didn't wear before I got pregnant.  I can find all of my clothes now, I just don't fit into them  ::)  Next up might be DH's closet, but I also got him to agree to let me clean out his office, which is full of broken and obsolete computer parts.  A bit easier to do might be my desk.  I have papers in there that are more than 10 years old, so I think I'll start a burn pile (much easier than shredding for me) and get some of that cleaned out.  It would be so nice to have a drawer for the manuals and papers that I actually need!