Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 38530 times)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2013, 04:06:59 PM »
DH wonders why I hold onto things, but inevitably, when we need a costume, or a prop, of whatever, I have it, and can get to it!

Once when sorting the garage, he wanted to toss a few boxes, not even looking inside.  I looked, and while 90% did get tossed, we kept the silver cup that was his as a kid, and our son also used. 

Just a few days ago, was purging books, and found, from a few b-days ago of DH's, a $100 bill in a b-day card, used as a bookmark.  (the card, he did not realize/remember the money was in there)

As much as I would like to grab and toss, I know I cannot, because "there be gold in them thare hills!" 
(well, silver and cash)

I am meeting with a teen and her dad who have set up their own ebay store to sell yardsale finds.  He does more electronics and gadgets, but I have some great NWT clothes, and even a couple of Longaberger baskets I have found for pennies on the dollar.

We donate to two different charity stores, but why not also get some cash? :D

Ok, back to the thread.

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2013, 07:10:28 PM »
I was off all last week, and while I didn't get everything done I needed to, I'd say I got about 90% done. I took two old printers to Best Buy to recycle, and have the bohemouth monitor in my trunk, to do the same with. I also pulled the hard drives out of my two dead desktops, and duct taped the cases back together. Those too I will take to recycle. I took stuff to Goodwill, and also cleaned and organized. Still need to go through and straighten and hopefully purge my LR closet, but its never really that bad.

I really could use some more time off, but I'm out of days. Darn. hopefully I can finish up what I need to do next weekend!

JustCallMePat

« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2013, 07:51:06 PM »
Our decluttering project was a success.  Unlike some who seem to have not enough space, we have the opposite problem.  Too much space in the unfinished part of our basement which became an unmanaged junk room.  It's now sorted with everything either being trashed, donated, sold, or kept.  Broken stuff that DH always meant to fix is now being fixed or has been tossed.  He did insist that we make this a net zero cost project, and selling some stuff (baby clothes & toys) have paid for two shelving units, a buttload of plastic bins from Costco, and a boxful of tapes for our p-Touch label printer.

Before I declare victory, DH's Mom and uncle show up today with a bunch of boxes from MIL's basement that she says she's been meaning to give us.  First glance it looks like stuff from DH's grandmother and great-grandmother's house! (MIL is something of a hoarder, so her parting with it is not a bad thing.) Eeek!  I know what we're doing next weekend!

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2013, 10:27:14 AM »
I was looking at my magazines I'm reading through and then tossing, and I reminded myself how much progress I'd made so far and how proud I was of that, and how even though I still have a ways to go--probably won't be done before the end of the year--there IS an endpoint, and I'm going to reach it.

I think that's really important to remember. Sometimes when I'm decluttering I get frustrated because I don't feel like I'm making a dent or getting much done during any one session. If you have a decluttering project where you can measure the progress, try doing that--maybe take some "before" pictures and "in the middle" pictures to remind yourself when you get to the end how far you've come. I think I'm going to try that on my next project, because that kind of positive reinforcement is really important to me.

JustCallMePat, good luck with the older relatives' stuff! If you find anything like old letters or photos, maybe think about trying to save those somehow, even if you personally aren't interested in them. I've gotten interested in family history in the last couple of years and have recently been scanning some photos that are over 100 years old! They were just in a box someone got from their grandma.

On the other hand, I never know what to do with 3D objects--photos and letters I can scan, and then give the originals back or maybe put them in a nice box somewhere. But I'd have no idea what to do with Great-Grandma's silverware collection! Honestly if no one else in the family wanted it I'd try to sell it, rather than just store it forever, because I don't think I'd use it. Maybe if it was already a bit of a jumble I would keep a spoon or something.
~Lynn2000

m2kbug

« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2013, 11:38:23 AM »
Have you heard about FlyLady?  This can be a really good tool to help with some of our clutter and cleaning issues.  There is a forum and some email groups, if this group would work for you.  I think a declutter group or thread here at eHell would be great too!

My clutter has gotten a bit out of control.  I've been in my home for many years, and a lot of things have come in, but not a lot have gone out.  When I was younger and moved house more often, I tended to get rid of things cuz I was tired of moving them.  :)   Part of my problem is I don't have a lot of money to work with.  I don't want to go and get rid of something that isn't really used all that often, only to find I need it later.  I can't just run out and replace things.  What if that thing turns out to be really importan?  Even things that are broken or can be fixed up, I always think to myself, I can deal with that later, except "later" really never shows up, and I have this thing just taking up space.  I tend to be a "saver" by nature, sentimental value, it's hard to part with certain things.  It has been a challenge determining what to keep and what to pass along or trash. 

So I am diligently working on decluttering as well and getting things organized.  :)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2013, 01:26:15 PM »
m2kbug, I sympathize! I know sometimes "I might need it later" or "I'm going to fix that someday" can be mere excuses for keeping stuff, but other times they are legitimate reasons. I think the key is, as you say, to be organized and be able to 1) know that you already have something; 2) find it when you need it; 3) have it be in good working order when you need it. To me, it becomes problematic when those rules are broken--yeah, you might indeed need something someday, but when that day comes, if you can't find the thing or, once found, it's so broken/dirty it can't be used, there was really no point in you keeping it, was there?

I am setting a goal this weekend of going through my closet and trying to get rid of some things. My closet is TINY and packed with stuff, and poorly designed so that some things are really hard to get to even though they shouldn't be. I've gone through it before, but maybe I'll find more stuff to get rid of or at least move this time...
~Lynn2000

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2013, 01:33:51 PM »
I love going thrifting. The Sweetie says she understands the thrill of the hunt, but has adopted the houseboat policy: if you bring something in, you're going to have to get rid of something to make room for it. 

I've been focusing on hostess equipment  - ice bucket, serving platters, things like that. To make room, I built a spice rack inside the pantry door, which freed up an entire kitchen shelf (I have a *lot* of spices).
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2013, 06:54:03 PM »
I just got back from my annual camping trip, but I have tomorrow booked off.  I'd planned to do some decluttering in the the crawl space where the camping gear goes and to start on the craft room/office.

But the air con has just gone on my car and it is the straw that broke the camel's back.  I'll be starting my car shopping tomorrow, instead.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

m2kbug

« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2013, 11:11:37 PM »
Lynn2000, you are exactly right.  Some of those things could be fixed, but you need the time, the resources, the equipment, the tools, none of which may actually happen, and you really have to make a choice to let that one go.  "Pee or get off the potty."

One of my biggest nightmares right now is the cords and cables that belong to various electronics, but I have no idea what they belong to.  I'm pretty sure these things breed and multiply and then tangle themselves up just to annoy me.  Despite the fact that these cords have been deemed useless, I know the second I throw one away will be the second I really need it!  Gah!  What to do?  I am presently getting all those cords organized in one spot and using Post-it notes and masking tape to date them, so a few months from now, a year, if they are still unused and unknown, I can toss them...still that's when I'm sure it will become important, but I guess I'm just going to have to take my chances. :) 

I dread dealing with the closet under the stairs,  Big well wishes on accomplishing your problem closet.  Return and report with any good finds!  ;D

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2013, 11:43:29 PM »
I keep all my random cables, cords, power boards, double adapters and extension cords in a big plastic storage tub.  So far, it has proven invaluable when changing TVs (needed an HDMI cable, there was one in there), always being able to locate a double adapter or extension cord, or random 'who knew I had it' connectors, adapters etc.

My declutter at the moment is the yarn stash.  I have decided I'm going to finish off what I have, and build up a stash of finished items for the markets.  I've sorted, got projects lined up...  and the past two weekends I've gone out and bought more yarn.  Hi, my name is Julian, and I'm a yarnaholic...   ::)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2013, 10:23:29 AM »
I keep cables and stuff in one bin, too. I usually wind them up and secure them with twist-ties or masking tape. At work we do this all the time or the cables would take over the desks! We often fold a piece of tape over the cord and put the sticky ends together so it makes a flag stuck to the cord, and then write on the flag what the cord goes to. It's a little thing, but I tell you, it feels so good to grab a cord and tie it up! So empowering, like taming a snake or something. ;D

I think it's important to realize that "decluttering" does not have to mean "throwing stuff away." Of course it can, but I think it can also be that as you go through those anonymous heaps in the corner you've been avoiding for years, you realize it's actually good stuff, and that if you just sort it out and store it properly, you'll be able to get value out of it.

Another decluttering thing I've been doing is digitizing a lot of my writing. I like to write by hand, but then I want it typed so it's easier to copy and preserve. I have tons of stuff I've written over the years, going back to childhood and teen years, when paper was the default anyway. I try to type and organize the random bits I find, and if something is especially interesting or unbelievable I scan it, too. But 98% of the originals I eventually trash. Artwork-type things, I keep the originals; but a story I'll type and maybe scan the first page, and then throw away the original. It was a big step for me to do that at first, and now I feel good about it. I remember when I was a kid I had a big cardboard box full of all my art projects and school papers and other stuff from elementary school, and it was stored in the garage and when I was 12 or so it got wet and moldy and ruined. :( I would rather take control of my stuff now, preserve it in the way that's most convenient for me, and then not burden myself or anyone else with storing the physical objects any longer.

On the lighter side, I'm constantly ::) as I read stuff I wrote a long time ago. Like, when I was old enough to know better, like a teenager. All I can say is 1) I read way too many romance novels; and 2) I'm so glad I didn't have to make any important decisions as a teenager, because my value system was WAY off.  :P
~Lynn2000

LibraryLady

« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2013, 04:04:27 PM »
There was a person upline who had lost a lot of weight but didn't want to get rid of her "large" cloths and was going to store them. 

Dr. Phil would tell you that you are giving yourself permission to gain the weight back; that by getting rid of them, you are committing yourself to your new "self" and won't backslide to the previous "self".

So take those big clothes to Goodwill/Salvation Army and celebrate your new self with cute, well-fitting clothing!!!

lilfox

« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2013, 06:59:41 PM »
DH recently applied the Houseboat Policy to some things we changed.  I really wanted a treadmill and the only place it would fit is our room, right where my beloved but rarely used sofa was.  So, he brought home his parents' castoff treadmill and I sold the sofa on CL (surprisingly easy! No weird responses and it sold in <24 hrs).  In turn, he really wanted to expand his home office area so finally parted ways with his (rarely used) workbench, also via CL and also no hassle.

I store shred-able documents in a large-ish shoebox until the box is full, then it's sorting/shredding time - happens about once a year.  Ideally I would shred as I go but honestly, even taking the 10 seconds to do that is not a priority, so annual shredding time it is.

I also went through some clothes recently and had to be brutally honest about a) the style - if it doesn't work on my body type, it got donated, and b) the fit - even if "the dryer shrank it!" if it doesn't look good, why keep it?  That applies to anything I routinely try on because it looks cute on the hanger and then immediately remove when the mirror says nope, sorry.  I don't need closet decorations, I need clothes I can trust to fit right and look good.

And the big one - since I'm back in maternity clothes, I'm finally donating the pieces that are still in good repair but just do not fit me right.  I kept them from the last time around just because, and that isn't a good enough reason.  A lot were originally hand-me-downs from friends, but I have no one to hand off to so Goodwill gets 'em.  Bonus - it frees up some big storage bins for incoming baby supplies!

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2013, 08:32:03 PM »
There was a person upline who had lost a lot of weight but didn't want to get rid of her "large" cloths and was going to store them. 

Dr. Phil would tell you that you are giving yourself permission to gain the weight back; that by getting rid of them, you are committing yourself to your new "self" and won't backslide to the previous "self".

So take those big clothes to Goodwill/Salvation Army and celebrate your new self with cute, well-fitting clothing!!!

I do keep some things, when it's something that it doesn't matter if it's super baggy. My comfy lounging t-shirts, for example. But otherwise I make sure to get rid of things when they're too big. I keep a donation box in my closet. Whenever I try on something and realize it's too big, a bad style on me, or whatever, I put it in the box instead of hanging it back up and trying to remember later what didn't fit right.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2013, 10:13:46 AM »

I store shred-able documents in a large-ish shoebox until the box is full, then it's sorting/shredding time - happens about once a year.  Ideally I would shred as I go but honestly, even taking the 10 seconds to do that is not a priority, so annual shredding time it is.

I also went through some clothes recently and had to be brutally honest about a) the style - if it doesn't work on my body type, it got donated, and b) the fit - even if "the dryer shrank it!" if it doesn't look good, why keep it?  That applies to anything I routinely try on because it looks cute on the hanger and then immediately remove when the mirror says nope, sorry.  I don't need closet decorations, I need clothes I can trust to fit right and look good.

I put my shredding into a bag, which sits on TOP of the shredder, which is in a corner of my bedroom. when it gets full, i hault it all out, and shred away.  As far as keeping other paper, i do most of my bill paying etc. online, and while I do geta  couple bills via snail mail, mainly to remind me to pay them, I don't keep copies of anything, aside from my lease, any car repair bills, and and receipts for things I buy, big ticket items. If I need any statements, I can always go and print them out.

As for clothes, about twice a year i go though. if something is iffy; say in the spring i keep a summer dress, next time around, if I didn't wear it at all, it goes. I have to say, and maybe its due to the fact I have a ton of clothes, I really can't think of anything specific I got rid of that I actually miss.