Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 38619 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2013, 12:15:05 PM »
I bought a new car last night.  I should be excited but I'm not; I'm totally stressed about money.  So I spent a good portion of last night, wide awake, doing a mental inventory of my possessions to figure out what I can sell.    ::)

The thing is, I have a good job, no dependents, not a huge amount on my mortgage and I'm on track to retire in 11 years when I'm first eligible.  Why is the money thing stressing me out??

I have been having the same issues. I too had to buy a new car, and I had gotten used to the "extra" income I had after paying my last one off. Add to that a $40 a month increase in my rent, and my car insurance going up several hundred dollars, I still feel like oh carp, I'm broke.  even though I had to dip into my savings for a couple things, I still have a decent amount left, and put a small amount in each pay period.

And I'm still planning on a cruise next spring, come ehell or high water!  I can do it all, its just a matter of planning and budgeting. My first step? this month is the "no frivilous spending" month. No more Kindle books, no more makeup, clothes, etc. nothing unless its absolutely necessary. Its tough but i can do it.

lilfox

« Reply #136 on: September 04, 2013, 07:32:22 PM »
My mom was just sharing her stories of decluttering their basement while they prepare to move for the first time in 3 decades.  Now, I haven't been down into that basement in probably 5 years or more and the few times I ever did, it was motivated by a very specific search, no 'browsing'.  Anyway, among the things my parents kept: all my brother's trophies from elementary school sports, ski gear they can't even donate because it's so old, some plastic and yarn faux cross-stitch kit I finished when I was probably 7 (predating when they moved into that house!), and she said no fewer than 30 (thirty) winter coats, most of which belong to my dad.

I have in the past accepted hand-offs of these types of "treasures" just so I could ensure that they end up donated or trashed.  I really hope this decluttering exercise is cathartic for them, since obviously the last several decades had been spent avoiding the abyss that is their basement.

What really gets me though, is how Mom complains that my grandmother (dad's mom) hangs on to crazy junk in *her* basement, like old rolled up carpet and light fixtures from when she and my grandfather had a decorator do their house in 1965.  Then in the same conversation she'll say how she doesn't want to part with some lamps that haven't been used since before they moved into the current house because the shades were crushed in the move!

On my own home front, while DH was gone for the weekend, I organized our two linen closets and cleaned out expired and never-used/no longer good medicines, cleaning supplies, and other junk that was just taking up space.  Things look much nicer now that I've put stuff into clear plastic tubs.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2013, 07:40:54 PM »
I pick up the car on Friday so I tonight, I took everything out of the garage and swept the entire thing out then put back most of the stuff, throwing a bunch of stuff out and moving some stuff to the shed.  I did a little gardening, too, and I was working for almost 2 hours!  Earned my dinner tonight, I did.

I organized the metal I have to go to the recycler and I have some electronics to go, too.  I'm going to ask my buddy to take me with him the next time he makes a run to the recycler.

Once gardening season is over, I'm going to get busy, in earnest, and clear out stuff.  I'm going to sell things that are worth selling, like some of my clothes and my snow tires for the old car.  There might be some camping gear I can get rid of, too.  I'd be thrilled if I could get a few bucks to help me stop stressing about a large purchase.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #138 on: September 05, 2013, 08:32:36 PM »
Wish me luck!  This weekend my goal is to clean out the garage <shudder>.  :P
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

JustCallMePat

« Reply #139 on: September 05, 2013, 08:47:17 PM »
We clean out the garage about twice a year.  In the Spring to get out all the dirt and muck that has fallen off the cars during the winter, and in the fall so we have a clean spider-free floor on which to drop dirt and muck through the winter. Everything comes out, Simple Green is sprayed and scrubbed, and a rinse chases it all down the driveway.  It smells really nice too after that!  :D

Specky

« Reply #140 on: September 06, 2013, 01:37:56 AM »
We're having a case of Clutter Crisis here.  We had a recent rash of Sudden Fan Death, including 2 ceiling fans (grinding noises, electrical smell, not working, circuit breakers, etc.) and three regular move-them-around fans.  DH replaced both ceiling fans and, while in the process, used the regular stand/floor fans for circulation.  He managed to run into and kick over the three fans to the point that they also stopped working, and they joined the fan graveyard.

The fan graveyard is located in the living room.  Yesterday, I said we needed to get rid of the fans.  I'm tired of navigating around them, tripping over fans, and having to look at them.  My annoyance quotient is rising.

Me:  We need to get rid of these fans.
DH:  What?!  You mean get rid of them?
Me:  Yep.
DH:  WHY?!?
Me:  They're broken.  They don't work.  They are taking up room. I can't walk through the living room for the fans.
DH:  You mean just throw them away?
DH:  But, we may have to replace them! 
Me:  Yep, with fans that work.  These are broken.  They don't work.  We already replaced the ceiling fans because these stopped working.
DH:  We may need more fans some day. The little fans could be fixed.  I broke the same part on all of them when I knocked them over.
Me:  Can you get that part?
DH:  No, I looked and can't find it.  I called one of the companies and they don't sell it.
Me:  So?
DH:  You want to just throw them away.
Me:  Do they work?
DH:  No, but we paid money for these fans, and I don't think we should just throw them away.
Me:  THEY'RE BROKEN!

I'm not sure what the heck got this going, but at this rate, we will have our own episode on Hoarders.  Wish me luck.  His whole FOO is like this.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #141 on: September 06, 2013, 05:00:02 AM »
We're having a case of Clutter Crisis here.  We had a recent rash of Sudden Fan Death, including 2 ceiling fans (grinding noises, electrical smell, not working, circuit breakers, etc.) and three regular move-them-around fans.  DH replaced both ceiling fans and, while in the process, used the regular stand/floor fans for circulation.  He managed to run into and kick over the three fans to the point that they also stopped working, and they joined the fan graveyard.

The fan graveyard is located in the living room.  Yesterday, I said we needed to get rid of the fans.  I'm tired of navigating around them, tripping over fans, and having to look at them.  My annoyance quotient is rising.

Me:  They're broken.  They don't work.  They are taking up room. I can't walk through the living room for the fans.
Me:  Yep, with fans that work.  These are broken.  They don't work.  We already replaced the ceiling fans because these stopped working.
DH:  We may need more fans some day. The little fans could be fixed.  I broke the same part on all of them when I knocked them over.
DH:  No, I looked and can't find it.  I called one of the companies and they don't sell it.
DH:  No, but we paid money for these fans, and I don't think we should just throw them away.

I'm not sure what the heck got this going, but at this rate, we will have our own episode on Hoarders.  Wish me luck.  His whole FOO is like this.
Oh, gads.  It's a funny conversation, but not a funny reality.  Recycling might be a way to go so he won't feel that they're such a loss.  Or sell them for scrap metal, so you realize some kind of return. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2013, 08:02:07 AM »
Well, thanks to all of this discussion, I finally got my butt in gear and cleaned out clothing.  I actually threw away a whole bag of stuff that wasn't even good enough to Freecycle (and not cotton enough to be turned into cleaning rags), and gave away 2 full garbage bags to a lovely lady who is very happy with her stuff!   
And now there's ROOM in my closet and on the shelves!  Room where I can put other stuff that doesn't have a home yet.   Stuff that my cleaning lady won't have to clean around, now!

Keep up the good work!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #143 on: September 06, 2013, 08:31:58 AM »

Oh, gads.  It's a funny conversation, but not a funny reality.  Recycling might be a way to go so he won't feel that they're such a loss.  Or sell them for scrap metal, so you realize some kind of return.

My friend's ILs are like this. they go to garage, rummage, and other kinds of sales and bring home carp that they already have a hundred of, and don't use.  This would drive me nuts; to me, if something doens't work, or I don't use it, I give it away, or chuck it. I am ruthless. My cousin has half of a good sized 2 car garage full to the brim, and is slowly trying to de-clutter that, and her house. I told her, bring in a dumpster, and I'll come down and do it for you!  She hasn't yet taken me up on my offer, since she KNOWS I'll leave very little. hahahaha

what would happen if you just took them and chucked them when he's not around?

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #144 on: September 06, 2013, 09:50:07 AM »
Or throw away one fan at a time - would he notice?
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2013, 12:01:08 PM »
Suggest he use parts from one fan to fix another - if that isn't possible, then out they both go.  I am so glad my husband isn't that bad; with my CLEAN OUT THE CLUTTER personality, this behavior would be a dealbreaker for me.  Good luck.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2013, 08:04:08 PM »
I'd experiment with the fans.  Remove one from out of his sight.  If he doesn't notice it's gone, in say a week, trash it.  Repeat as necessary.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Kaypeep

« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2013, 09:13:51 PM »
My mom is a hoarder so I try not to hang on to things.  Last weekend I was going through the closet and found a framed photo that I took from work when our office moved.  It is a long frame, and matted, and I took it with the intention of re-using the frame.  The photo is a scenic view of NYC skyline at night, with some printing on it promoting the tv station I work at, and the name of a show that we used to have. I've had the frame 3 years now and realize I'm never going to use it. I went to throw it away but BF won't let me because "the World Trade Center is in the picture."  Sigh....  I'm from NYC, I work in NYC.  there are no shortages of TWC photos.  This isn't even solely of TWC, and I'll never hang it up as-is since it's a promo poster for a TV show, NOT NYC.   I said "fine" but really I'm going to just wait for when he's not around and bring it down to the garbage anyway.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #148 on: September 06, 2013, 09:53:49 PM »

Then the fans become HIS problem.  If you can move any of them, a fan goes on Mr. Specky's side of the bed.  A fan goes in his favorite recliner (even pour it a beverage  ;D).  A fan goes in his place at the dinner table.  I had to laugh, but five (5!) broken fans in my living room would be intolerable, even if my living room was Buckingham Palace.

Seriously, I like selling them for scrap metal.  Maybe he can get something for them.  Or enter them as a modern art sculpture  ;D.

I had a Specky-like confrontation with my husband when we were first married, over his dishes.  His mother would not stop going to garage sales and buying him really awful mismatched dishes, plus she saved margarine tubs and jelly jars for her grown son  ::).  He did finally tell his mother to stop, as he had more than enough, but he would not let me replace them with a matched set we could easily afford, plus a set of glasses, because they "worked just fine and that's a waste of money!"   Eight months after our wedding, while he was at work I tossed the tubs, donated the dishes and bought the set and glasses.  He never said anything for years  ::).

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #149 on: September 07, 2013, 07:57:27 AM »
<snip>
Seriously, I like selling them for scrap metal.  Maybe he can get something for them.  Or enter them as a modern art sculpture  ;D.

I just had this flash visual of Bedazzling or hot glue gunning seashells or something on a broken fan and nearly laughed myself out of the chair. I just woke up and am a little punchy, I guess.   :P