Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 39091 times)

LibraryLady

Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #165 on: September 13, 2013, 03:38:50 PM »
I'm sorry  :-[  .  I should have know better than to rely on a guru like Oprah's Dr. Phil.

I apologize, Bethalize.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #166 on: September 14, 2013, 08:22:38 AM »
I'm sorry  :-[  .  I should have know better than to rely on a guru like Oprah's Dr. Phil.

I apologize, Bethalize.

I think we all want to believe that anyone can lose weight and keep it off. It gives us hope.  The sad reality is very few can.  It's practically 0%, I think the highest estimate is 5% after the 2 year mark.  The only people I personally know who managed to keep the weight off had surgical intervention...and honestly, not even all of them managed it, some regained 50% to all their excess weight plus more (granted that is two people I know out of over a dozen that had gastric bypass or lap band done).
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #167 on: September 14, 2013, 08:53:35 AM »

I apologize, Bethalize.

Thank you. I am touched by your apology as it didn't occur to me that one was possible, let alone necessary. I don't think you have anything to apologise for, and I appreciate you not taking my post as personal attack. We're all learning, all the time.

magicdomino

« Reply #168 on: September 16, 2013, 03:10:39 PM »
We're having a case of Clutter Crisis here.  We had a recent rash of Sudden Fan Death, including 2 ceiling fans (grinding noises, electrical smell, not working, circuit breakers, etc.) and three regular move-them-around fans.  DH replaced both ceiling fans and, while in the process, used the regular stand/floor fans for circulation.  He managed to run into and kick over the three fans to the point that they also stopped working, and they joined the fan graveyard.

The fan graveyard is located in the living room.  Yesterday, I said we needed to get rid of the fans.  I'm tired of navigating around them, tripping over fans, and having to look at them.  My annoyance quotient is rising.

Me:  We need to get rid of these fans.
DH:  What?!  You mean get rid of them?
Me:  Yep.
DH:  WHY?!?
Me:  They're broken.  They don't work.  They are taking up room. I can't walk through the living room for the fans.
DH:  You mean just throw them away?
DH:  But, we may have to replace them! 
Me:  Yep, with fans that work.  These are broken.  They don't work.  We already replaced the ceiling fans because these stopped working.
DH:  We may need more fans some day. The little fans could be fixed.  I broke the same part on all of them when I knocked them over.
Me:  Can you get that part?
DH:  No, I looked and can't find it.  I called one of the companies and they don't sell it.
Me:  So?
DH:  You want to just throw them away.
Me:  Do they work?
DH:  No, but we paid money for these fans, and I don't think we should just throw them away.
Me:  THEY'RE BROKEN!

I'm not sure what the heck got this going, but at this rate, we will have our own episode on Hoarders.  Wish me luck.  His whole FOO is like this.

And this is why my mother had every single TV she had ever owned.  In fact, she had every single electical appliance she had ever owned.  Our conversations about dead appliances were so similar to you and your DH.  The only saving grace is that she didn't like to buy new ones if she could help it, so there only 5 broken TVs (and one that worked).

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #169 on: September 16, 2013, 03:52:23 PM »
We're having a case of Clutter Crisis here.  We had a recent rash of Sudden Fan Death, including 2 ceiling fans (grinding noises, electrical smell, not working, circuit breakers, etc.) and three regular move-them-around fans.  DH replaced both ceiling fans and, while in the process, used the regular stand/floor fans for circulation.  He managed to run into and kick over the three fans to the point that they also stopped working, and they joined the fan graveyard.

The fan graveyard is located in the living room.  Yesterday, I said we needed to get rid of the fans.  I'm tired of navigating around them, tripping over fans, and having to look at them.  My annoyance quotient is rising.

Me:  We need to get rid of these fans.
DH:  What?!  You mean get rid of them?
DH:  WHY?!?
Me:  They're broken.  They don't work.  They are taking up room. I can't walk through the living room for the fans.
DH:  You mean just throw them away?
DH:  But, we may have to replace them! 
Me:  Yep, with fans that work.  These are broken.  They don't work.  We already replaced the ceiling fans because these stopped working.
DH:  We may need more fans some day. The little fans could be fixed.  I broke the same part on all of them when I knocked them over.
Me:  Can you get that part?
DH:  No, I looked and can't find it.  I called one of the companies and they don't sell it.
Me:  So?
DH:  You want to just throw them away.
Me:  Do they work?
DH:  No, but we paid money for these fans, and I don't think we should just throw them away.
Me:  THEY'RE BROKEN!

I'm not sure what the heck got this going, but at this rate, we will have our own episode on Hoarders.  Wish me luck.  His whole FOO is like this.

And this is why my mother had every single TV she had ever owned.  In fact, she had every single electical appliance she had ever owned.  Our conversations about dead appliances were so similar to you and your DH.  The only saving grace is that she didn't like to buy new ones if she could help it, so there only 5 broken TVs (and one that worked).

I have to confess my last bit of clutter is my old tv. which is on the floor in my LR, in a corner. but ONLY beacuse its too heavy for me to carry down the stairs, out to my car, and somewhere to be recycled. and its only a 20". i shudder to think how i will get my 27" when it dies or i replace it. i'm serioulsy considering taking it apart, and recycling the pieces. no way i'd get it out otherwidse.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #170 on: September 16, 2013, 03:56:14 PM »
Decluttered a bunch of apps on my smartphone.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #171 on: September 16, 2013, 04:14:48 PM »
I managed to get through my accumulated paperwork from about March and got it all filed.  This is also of financial benefit because I get to claim my internet costs for side job I'm doing so I'm going to get a nice cheque next week!

I still have more stuff to go through in the office - magazines I was keeping for recipes, and the like - but that'll now have to wait until my gardening stuff is done.  I have a pile of bulbs to plant!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #172 on: September 18, 2013, 07:03:38 PM »
I managed to get through my accumulated paperwork from about March and got it all filed.  This is also of financial benefit because I get to claim my internet costs for side job I'm doing so I'm going to get a nice cheque next week!

I still have more stuff to go through in the office - magazines I was keeping for recipes, and the like - but that'll now have to wait until my gardening stuff is done.  I have a pile of bulbs to plant!
I did this a couple of years ago (has it been that long?) and it was so much easier to find things.  I need to do it again and go through my filing system to get rid of some old unnecessary stuff.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #173 on: September 18, 2013, 07:22:27 PM »
I've got a question:  When I closed out my aunt's estate, I ended up with about a gazillion old pictures.  After giving copies to other relatives and passing around the ones of unknown people for clues as to who/what the pictures are, I've now got a half gazillion old pictures.  One problem is that my forebears were big on having copies of pictures made, so I found tons of copies of some of the pictures.  There was something like 10 copies of a picture of my grandfather in his Army uniform during WWII - enough for everyone who wanted one plus some left over. 

Any ideas what I can do with these pictures?  I was thinking of sending the ones that were of the house in the town where my aunt lived to the local museum in that town, as members of my family lived in that area from 1881 until my aunt passed away in 2012.  However, after that, I have no idea what to do with those pictures, and I've still got almost a whole big plastic bin full.     

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #174 on: September 18, 2013, 08:30:36 PM »
Sell them on eBay or Etsy, to people who will use them for paper crafts.

Or just toss them. It may seem like heresy, but it isn't. If there aren't people who want them, they have no value.

gmatoy

« Reply #175 on: September 18, 2013, 08:42:48 PM »
I figured out a way to organize some of my fabrics; I used clip hangers and hung them up. Now I can see them and there is more floor space cleared. (And I'm up to 263 Barbie gowns!)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #176 on: September 19, 2013, 10:34:05 AM »
Family photos: Personally, I would scan them and save them digitally, which takes up far less space than the actual photos and won't deteriorate over time. It's also a lot easier to send digital copies to relatives who might be interested in them later, perhaps someone in the next generation.

If the actual photos are too much for you to keep safely, I would check local museums and historical societies first. Even if they don't want them, they may know of other people/groups who do. Although I must admit I shuddered a little at TootsNYC's suggestion of tossing them ;) there is certainly nothing inherently wrong with that option. Personally, I would make some effort to see if anyone else wanted them for their historic value first. Also, around here there's a number of antique shops and used bookstores that sell vintage photographs and postcards, I guess for people to do crafts with or use as curios. You could also look into that before tossing them in the trash.

And, if you have multiple copies of the same photo, you could certainly keep just the one in the best condition, and toss/give away the others. If that reduces the amount of photos to a reasonable number for you, great. Specialty photo shops can usually make good prints of old photos from the original, should the day come that you wish you did have more copies.
~Lynn2000

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #177 on: September 19, 2013, 11:25:20 AM »
Ok I finally got my grandma on the decluttering bandwagon. A few years ago she and my grandpa moved from a large 3 bedroom house, to a much smaller 2 bedroom house that suited their needs better. In the old house the garage was so filled with stuff, they couldn't fit even one car in, let alone two. Well...they still can't fit any cars into the new garage. So grandpa had a enough and insisted grandma start figuring out what she really wants to keep and what she's just hanging onto just because.

Now, when ebay first started my grandma ran a nice little business going around to yard sales and estate sales, picking up items, fixing them up, and reselling them. She made decent money doing this, but eventually when ebay became big business she lost interested. But she didn't loose the stuff and this is what is primarily in the garage. So we helped her by dragging in some of it to the house so she can sort through it all (rather then her be in a hot garage). Yesterday I get a phone call that she's started going through some of the clothes and found something that might be very intresting to us. So we headed over to check it out.

In the process of decluttering my grandma found a wedding dress. Not only a wedding dress, but a wedding dress exactly in the style that Partner wants her dress to be in. And it fits her! Needs a few alterations, a little fixing up, and Partner says there are a few details she's going to add but I don't get to know about that.

See why decluttering is important? Never know what you'll find. Grandma is now keeping an eye out for me as she know she has a few more dresses, including her's from her second marriage, which would be the style I want (I've seen pictures, I love it).

gmatoy

« Reply #178 on: September 22, 2013, 10:10:40 PM »
Today we put up a new closet rod and I hung much of the organza and polar fleece that I had laying around. We also put up an Ikea CD Shelving unit, think floor to almost ceiling. I am just about organized!

gmatoy

« Reply #179 on: September 23, 2013, 02:12:10 AM »
Got rid of 8 bags of stuff. Four more will go out tomorrow and 3 more on Friday. Starting to see more floor daily!