Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 39069 times)

Margo

Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #180 on: September 23, 2013, 07:12:21 AM »
I got rid of another 4 bags on Friday - clothes, this time.  A good friend who is thinner than me got first pick of the good stuff  (and was really pleased as she now has a 'new' dress to wear when she attends a wedding next weekend, plus some nice skirts) then the balance of the good stuff  went to a charity shop, with the not-good stuff going for recycling.

My next goal is to thin out my chest of drawers (I shall have to admit that those odd socks are never going to show up..) and to go through the kitchen cupboards and sort out what I actually use and is worth keeping, and what I should ditch.

My initial burst of decluttering obviously worked, as I have had an offer on my house  :) Which of course does mean I can now look at stuff with "do I want to pay to move this to a new property?"  in my head, which is quite the incentive!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #181 on: September 23, 2013, 07:15:52 AM »
I had to pick up some new to me thrift store clothes over the weekend, so I'm planning on purging my closet again.  I'm going to try the "bring something home, must get rid of equal amount" method and see how that goes.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

daen

« Reply #182 on: September 23, 2013, 10:45:44 AM »
Today is packing day, and I'm getting rid of a bunch of books, some clothes, and some knick-knacks.

It surprises me how much I've accumulated in a year where I tried not to accumulate things.

Once the current load is out of the dryer, I can more-or-less finish packing, and we can start weighing to see how we need to redistribute the heavy stuff across our bags.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #183 on: September 23, 2013, 01:21:31 PM »
I cleaned off the counter this weekend. I'd been accumulating papers there mostly--important stuff that I need to keep, but just hadn't gotten around to filing yet. Found something from a year ago. ::) So I sorted it all and filed it, then wiped off the counter and put back the stuff that lives there. Somehow, there was much more free space. Funny how that works!
~Lynn2000

gmatoy

« Reply #184 on: September 24, 2013, 11:00:34 PM »
Does it count if I'm reading the stacks of books so that I can donate them without guilt? (Four books down and hundreds to go.) ;D

scotcat60

« Reply #185 on: September 25, 2013, 07:32:29 AM »
Hoarding is, from what I've seen personally, a deep-seated irrational fear of getting rid of things, even absolute junk in bad condition--it almost seems to cause physical pain when you suggest or try to make a hoarder throw something away.

I had a next door neighbour who was a hoarder. He was Hungarian and had been a prisoner in a labour camp during World War II. For him I suppose, possessions were security, and power, and having control of his life, which he had not had in the camp. He was not as bad as some people you see on the TV programmes about hoarders. Stuff wasn't piled up to the ceilings, he could for example walk upstairs, his bathroom and toilet were clutter free, but his bedrooms were full of stuff, his loft, his shed, and the garden had lots of furniture under tarpaulins. Wehn he died it all got thrown away,save for some stuff that went back to his family in Hungary, and a cup and saucer and a bowl which my Mum and I chose as mementos.

The only trouble with givng away clothes is that sometimes I do it, and then find that I want womething, and I haven't got it. I did this with a corduroy overshirt recently, and it would have been just nice to wear on a day that was not freezing, but not cold enough for a woolly cardigan.

As for family photos, scan them by all means, but make very sure that no one else in the family would like the originals. My SIL is still spitting blood about her aunt who got rid of all the family photos without asking if anyone was interested. And she did not scan them first, so no copies are available at all.

faithlessone

« Reply #186 on: September 25, 2013, 10:29:04 AM »
As for family photos, scan them by all means, but make very sure that no one else in the family would like the originals. My SIL is still spitting blood about her aunt who got rid of all the family photos without asking if anyone was interested. And she did not scan them first, so no copies are available at all.

Gosh, I wasn't aware you were my aunt! ;)

My mother is still completely furious about a couple of her family members who threw away a large group of old photos without copying them / consulting her. She's a keen genealogist and every bit of family evidence like that is incredibly precious to her.

gmatoy

« Reply #187 on: October 05, 2013, 03:22:05 AM »
I am planning an attack on the kitchen tomorrow. (And I'm up to 385 Barbie dresses!)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #188 on: October 18, 2013, 08:16:28 AM »
Reporting on my uncluttered room...
A while back ( a long while back) we had some work done on our bedroom and had moved into the computer room (which is also a junky storage room) until we would move back into our 'real' bedroom.  Last night was the first night back in the old room.  It is spare to say the least, with nothing on the walls, no clutter, no excess stuff in there.  Just the bed, 2 dressers and a table.  It was Heaven!  There are no curtains on the windows, just some brown craft paper that I taped up to cover the peeping tom viewing areas.  I could see the apple tree limbs outside the window and the shadows they made on the wall.  I felt like I was in a monastery or convent.  I slept for about 4 hours and then just lay there for a few hours enjoying the peace.  Ordinarily I would be chomping at the bit with restlessness for not being able to sleep, but I didn't feel that, at all. 
I had slowed down miserably on my decluttering efforts, but today I have renewed enthusiasm for the projects I put on the back burner.   

I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

EveLGenius

« Reply #189 on: October 18, 2013, 10:34:58 AM »
I'm not sure if this counts as decluttering or just finishing a project.  In April, DH and I decided to use our tax refund to update our kitchen.  We found new countertops first, and got them installed.  Then we got new linoleum installed.  Then there was a significant break while we looked for tiles for the backsplash.  We finally found some, and for various reasons they just gathered, along with the various tools of the trade, in the garage.  Well, last weekend we put in the backsplash, put away all of the tools, and generally tidied the garage.  It hasn't been swept, so I don't consider it "clean," but both the kitchen and the garage now look much better!

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #190 on: October 18, 2013, 11:02:16 AM »
I have a new decluttering project to investigate. I need to get rid of my old laptop computer. It's about 7 years old (at least!) and I haven't used it at all for about four years. It's just been hanging around in its ginormous carrying case. Well, I could really use that space for other stuff. As we know from the "paper, pens, and office supplies" thread my paper notebook collection is growing and needs a home. Computers being pushed out by paper! That's the sort of craziness that goes on at my house. Anyway, I need to research computer shops in town and see if any of them will destroy the hard drive and take the rest of the body away.
~Lynn2000

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #191 on: October 18, 2013, 03:55:06 PM »
I have a new decluttering project to investigate. I need to get rid of my old laptop computer. It's about 7 years old (at least!) and I haven't used it at all for about four years. It's just been hanging around in its ginormous carrying case. Well, I could really use that space for other stuff. As we know from the "paper, pens, and office supplies" thread my paper notebook collection is growing and needs a home. Computers being pushed out by paper! That's the sort of craziness that goes on at my house. Anyway, I need to research computer shops in town and see if any of them will destroy the hard drive and take the rest of the body away.

There are programs (CCleaner from Piriform.com) that will write random zeros and ones on the hard drive once, three times, seven times, or the government standard of 35 times...then you grab the original recovery disk set (if you can find it) and tell it to format the hard drive and install the original factory image on the hard drive.

There should be no problem with anyone recovering anything off of it, for all practical purposes.   

And you can donate it or contact a recycler on Freecycle to take it away at that point.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

demarco

« Reply #192 on: October 18, 2013, 04:36:42 PM »
We had community electronics recycling last weekend and we got rid of a car trunkload. It felt really good to get rid of that stuff but we still have more....  I also took three more bags of clothes to the Goodwill. 

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #193 on: October 18, 2013, 04:46:45 PM »

There are programs (CCleaner from Piriform.com) that will write random zeros and ones on the hard drive once, three times, seven times, or the government standard of 35 times...then you grab the original recovery disk set (if you can find it) and tell it to format the hard drive and install the original factory image on the hard drive.

There should be no problem with anyone recovering anything off of it, for all practical purposes.   

And you can donate it or contact a recycler on Freecycle to take it away at that point.

This just reminded of me of my mother. She'd been shleping around a computer from 1999. Didn't use it or anything, just kept moving it from one place to another. When we were moving her Partner looks at this thing and says "Are you seriously taking this with you?" and mom says "Well, I need to get the hard drive cleared. But I don't trust those computer places, those techs could copy it and steal my info", I roll my eyes, I've told her everything VorFemme said to do a few times over but she's convinced that still won't work. So Partner sits down, gets it opened and yanks out the hard drive. Then she hands it to my mom and says "There, now you have the hard drive", we took the computer to be recycled.

Cutenoob

« Reply #194 on: October 18, 2013, 10:16:43 PM »

Just physically remove the hard drive, drill some holes in it and toss in the garbage. Put the case/rest of it on curb as FREE, done!