Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 36733 times)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #195 on: October 18, 2013, 11:11:02 PM »
I have to admit that I am almost as bad as GlitterIsMyDrug's mom.  I have about 10 hard drives somewhere around here.  I know I could do something to them.  Or they are so old that even if I tossed them, there wouldn't be anything personal on there.  But, still ...   It is easier to just keep them. 

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #196 on: October 18, 2013, 11:28:10 PM »
I have to admit that I am almost as bad as GlitterIsMyDrug's mom.  I have about 10 hard drives somewhere around here.  I know I could do something to them.  Or they are so old that even if I tossed them, there wouldn't be anything personal on there.  But, still ...   It is easier to just keep them.

I have an old laptop I haven't gotten rid of yet, but that's mostly because I'm saving it for when I get really, really frustrated with an electronic device and need to smash something.  >:D

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #197 on: October 19, 2013, 08:56:03 AM »
If you're close to a Best Buy, they'll recycle electronics for free. I think they do charge $10 for items with a screen tho. Keeps stuff out of the landfill.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #198 on: October 19, 2013, 02:38:50 PM »
If you do take an old, beat-up computer to Best Buy, don't smile and say you have a return. 
Apparently they have heard that joke a few times.   ;)

A distant friend of DH's reclaims the metals from electronics.  So, when we see him next, we will have a load for him. 

I might take apart the hard drives though.  Playing with hard drive magnets is a fad at work (lots of geeks)

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #199 on: October 19, 2013, 03:13:26 PM »
I just removed 9 bags of trash (mostly empty boxes that got soggy when my humidifier fritzed out and flooded the basement) from downstairs.  So.  Many. Spiders.

Anthony has an extremely irritating habit of throwing boxes downstairs instead of throwing them away and it drives me nuts, moreso because there's been a lot of complaining from him about all the junk and boxes downstairs when probably about 90% of it is his.  I told him yesterday that I was cleaning out the basement today and to go through his stuff down there if there was anything he wanted to keep.  He didn't, so all of it (with the exception of a few things I KNOW he would never want me to throw out) has gone.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #200 on: October 19, 2013, 08:19:52 PM »
We moved over the summer, so managed to declutter a bit there (although we still need to go back to the old house at some point in the next month or so to get rid of the stuff that needs to be donated).

Since moving, SO finally got rid of the 6 year old laptop and more electronic junk, I took another pass through our paper clutter, and have the DVD box slated for tomorrow. Also, we fully unpacked within a month of moving in. That is awesome, considering that I found unpacked boxes from when we moved into our house two years ago when we started packing up the house for this move.

After the DVDs, I need to tackle the dressers. My wardrobe is pretty sparse. SO has an overflowing dresser, and clothes in my drawers as well, but only wears a handful of it. He had one and half drawerfulls when we moved in together 6 years ago, so I don't even know how it amassed so quickly. I think it's the free t-shirts he's somehow managed to be a magnet for. He realized that the weight of the clothes is breaking the drawer mechanisms, so I think he'll be willing to let go of some stuff finally. Yay!

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #201 on: October 19, 2013, 10:09:32 PM »
I was at Best Buy today (didn't ask about my old laptop though) and I saw in the foyer they have a collection box with lots of different holes in it where they will take batteries, cables/wires, gift cards (presumably empty, to recycle), plastic bags, even DVDs/CDs and their cases. Might have been a couple other small things, too. So that might be an outlet for some pesky items people have. My mom got super-excited about it, which made my dad kinda nervous.  >:D
~Lynn2000

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #202 on: October 20, 2013, 08:54:45 AM »
I need to make a pass on the house this week sometime. 

I just can't do it when DH is home.  He has an unnatural attachment to junk, so I have to clear it out when he's not here.  The funny thing is, he doesn't notice when it's gone, he just can't seem to SEE me throw it out.  I still can't believe I got him to go through his side of the closet for clothes donations...granted, he should have gotten rid of about 3X what he did, but it was still a great improvement.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #203 on: October 20, 2013, 11:47:42 AM »
I need to make a pass on the house this week sometime. 

I just can't do it when DH is home.  He has an unnatural attachment to junk, so I have to clear it out when he's not here.  The funny thing is, he doesn't notice when it's gone, he just can't seem to SEE me throw it out.  I still can't believe I got him to go through his side of the closet for clothes donations...granted, he should have gotten rid of about 3X what he did, but it was still a great improvement.
My DH also has an attraction for junk.  I'm not brave enough to go through those boxes of things I don't recognize but yesterday I got overwhelmed to the point of sputtering.  I think it scared him into going through one of the six disgusting industrial shelving units that line the walls in our computer room.  What bothers me is that when he goes through things with me in that state, he says things like, 'I want to keep the Nikon stuff..." He should know that I don't mean to toss our camera equipment.  :o   But what about those 50 and more obsolete computer books that are forcing one of the units into submission.   >:(  Anyway he did go through one of the units and now we know what is there and have a bunch of stuff to take to the electronics class at the high school.  The instructor is a wonderful computer whiz and he welcomes donations of things. 
I sounded like my mother when I thanked him for going through the shelf and said, "Now,  if we do one of the units and go through one of the bins every day we can get it cleared out".   >:D
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #204 on: October 21, 2013, 12:35:22 PM »

Partner has 3 hard drives she's been keeping. Her plan is to copy them and get them onto an external hard drive, get what she wants off and then get rid of everything else. Or something like that. But honestly, the hard drives are small enough that I can't fault her keeping them around...for now. Then entire computer on the other hand...

My mom can't figure out what to do with her hard drive now that it's out. But at least she has it. And it's much easier to pack up and move then the old computer was.

Amara

« Reply #205 on: October 21, 2013, 03:34:17 PM »
My mom can't figure out what to do with her hard drive now that it's out.

Drop it in some vinegar for a day or so. That will take care of it.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #206 on: October 21, 2013, 03:43:15 PM »

Power drill!  Or take it to a shooting range.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #207 on: October 21, 2013, 03:45:08 PM »

Power drill!  Or take it to a shooting range.

Lol, she does like her drill! I meant to say she can't decide if she wants to get the information off of it. Though what could be on there from 13 years ago that she'd need now but hasn't needed in the past oh...10 years since we've used that computer, I don't know.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #208 on: October 21, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
I think I'm gonna try to remove the hard drive from my laptop tonight. You guys have inspired me. I don't really care if I damage it as I made sure to copy what I needed from it when I switched over to my current computer; I just want to make sure no one else can read it. Then, even if I can't bring myself to part with the hard drive yet (I really want to find one of those places that will destroy it in front of me, like someone else mentioned), that will be a smaller thing to store, and I can find a way to get rid of the rest of it.
~Lynn2000

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #209 on: October 21, 2013, 04:26:32 PM »
I think I'm gonna try to remove the hard drive from my laptop tonight. You guys have inspired me. I don't really care if I damage it as I made sure to copy what I needed from it when I switched over to my current computer; I just want to make sure no one else can read it. Then, even if I can't bring myself to part with the hard drive yet (I really want to find one of those places that will destroy it in front of me, like someone else mentioned), that will be a smaller thing to store, and I can find a way to get rid of the rest of it.

There are youtube videos on how to do it! And after watching Partner do it...it looks so easy!