Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 40020 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #210 on: October 21, 2013, 04:44:51 PM »
I have installed the original factory image back to back three times (formatting the hard drive as part of the factory image recovery), then run the CCleaner (Piriform.com) drive wiper three times (random zeros & ones) on the unused space.

Then I tried the EASEUS Partition Manager's recovery mode (Iobit.com) and didn't get anything.  Granted, it was all share ware, but the websites I researched indicated that this was enough for anything smaller than a country with LOTS of resources and a good reason to try to get stuff off your hard drive to give up (I am not a terrorist, a pervert, an assassin, nor did I steal billions and try to hide it off shore). 

Granted, one of them didn't need all that, as I had to replace the hard drive with a larger one (40gb hard drive computers do NOT sell very fast) to get any use from it myself and I don't do our taxes!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #211 on: October 21, 2013, 09:34:21 PM »
I hit the coat closet last weekend and washed/aired/oiled all the coats.  I then filled a whole garbage bag with coats we don't wear and took them to the Salvation Army.
Next, Winter Shoes!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #212 on: October 21, 2013, 09:58:19 PM »
I just posted some too small Halloween costumes to Craigslist - I am debating adding a too small Renn Faire costume to the list - but it is better made than the (commercial) costumes and might be worth looking at with an eye to altering.  Or at least making a larger chemise that isn't sorta semi-sheer to wear under it...

Not that I object to wearing comfortable clothes - but I tend to save the ones that you can see shadows of ME through if I am standing in front of a light source for more private locations than the local Renn Faire or handing out candy at the door on Halloween....I might feel more like showing off my figure if I was still in my thirties and a few sizes slimmer...

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #213 on: October 23, 2013, 04:58:19 PM »
Okay, still haven't gotten around to dealing with my old hard drive/laptop yet. :P Soon, though.

However, I've been digitizing my old stories/creative works and that has been going really well. I took about a month to go through one folder, which was about an inch thick. This including sorting the items in it, typing them into Word files, and then I just did about four days of scanning so as to retain a flavor of the original documents. Then I threw out almost all the paper. I think I only saved three or four paper things. I work on it about 45min several days a week.

I have a serious goal of digitizing ALL of my creative works from the last... 30 years... which is a big job especially as I keep adding to the stack. But working on it a little bit at a time for several days a week has allowed me to part with some large notebooks and stacks of paper over the last couple of years. Just gotta keep going.
~Lynn2000

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #214 on: October 23, 2013, 05:02:32 PM »
I picked my brussel sprouts.  They are sitting outside my patio door, ready to come in and be prepped for cooking.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #215 on: October 23, 2013, 05:35:40 PM »
I spent Monday taking all of the stuff off of the shelving unit and sorting it.  My basement looks like there was a minor explosion, but it's merely step 1 in the reorganization process.  Yesterday I cleaned out my desk, including two paper bags of papers going out (one is straight junk to be recycled, the other will be burned).  Hopefully if I can get a place for everything then I'll start doing things like tossing the junk mail as it comes in so that my counters stay clear.

gmatoy

« Reply #216 on: October 24, 2013, 03:17:11 AM »
Today I finished making the Barbie dresses! 500 to donate and about 50 more to give as gifts to the children of friends and family. Then we packed up everything that we are donating to the same place and got it loaded, ready to deliver tomorrow. My "extra daughter" came over and I got several bags of clothing for her children out of the house. Between sewing up my stash and reading the books, I am slowly making a dent. Several bookcases look like they are full; however, they are no longer double shelved and no longer have books stacked flat on the top of the upright books! (I take joy where I can find it!)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #217 on: October 24, 2013, 08:52:24 AM »
I now have motivation for going through my kitchen and 'hoarder' room!  I was chatting with the girl who bought my snow tires last night.  She's military, just moved into her own place and has no kitchen stuff.  So if I have any stuff I want to get rid of, she's interested!  The weather looks crap for doing outside work this weekend so I might just be tackling this project and sending her an email to see if she wants anything.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

JustCallMePat

« Reply #218 on: October 27, 2013, 02:48:08 PM »
Next decluttering project - the file cabinet!  We keep a fireproof locking file cabinet in the office/den/used-to-be-a-bedroom.  I've not been good at filing lately and had a pile of stuff to organize.  I also had one of the boxes Mom brought which was full of papers.  I've sorted, re-organized, digitized, and shredded until my shredder gave up!  Interesting finds from Mom's box: a lock of my grandfather's baby hair (c.1909), the original deed to the family plot at the church cemetery (c.1891), burial records from 1910, baptismal certificates (1873, 1898, 1923, 1933).  All have been scanned and the originals stored in archival boxes with notes on what I knew or learned about the people involved.

I also found the cemetery papers for the plot where Mom wants to be buried - not in the family plot above.  DH thinks it morbid that I showed such interest in it but I countered that someday we'll need this information and to have it reviewed and in good order now can only help then.

So everything's been sorted and categorized.  The stuff currently useful will go back into the file cabinet.  We're getting a second fireproof file in which to store the 'archive' files in the basement storage.  Some of this old stuff is just irreplaceable and while the scans are good to have, the originals are even better.  And the old tax records, property records, security forms from work, etc. need to be kept and protected.  Copies of all the scanned material is on DVDs in the bank security deposit box along with the really critical papers like wills, deeds, and such.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #219 on: October 27, 2013, 04:22:51 PM »
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 04:24:32 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #220 on: October 27, 2013, 04:31:32 PM »
Did I say we finally moved into our remodeled bedroom from that horrible and cluttered computer room?  That and the bathroom are the only uncluttered rooms in the house.  Talk about peaceful sleeping, now (in the bedroom, not the bathroom).  How do I work so hard at decluttering but never finish the job?
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

JustCallMePat

« Reply #221 on: October 27, 2013, 05:10:33 PM »
How do I work so hard at decluttering but never finish the job?

For me, I think it's like the crew who paints the Golden Gate Bridge.  As soon as they finish at the far end, it's time to start at the near end again!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #222 on: October 27, 2013, 07:52:44 PM »
I think you're right.  I also think it's because I don't get rid of enough stuff when I do a decluttering sweep.   :-[

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #223 on: October 27, 2013, 08:15:26 PM »
I'm listing some older costumes for sale in Craigslist (can't get much interest in them the rest of the year). 

If they don't sell, well, one or two might work for the Renn Faire (gypsy & pirate) and I'll see what happens.  If all else fails, they will be loaned to some of VorSon's friends to wear when we go to the Faire after Thanksgiving (30 November). 

They are being cleaned, repaired, and can be washed again after the Faire & put away.  At the moment, VorGuy isn't into dressing up and they are a bit short for VorSon, who is just enough taller than his dad that it is a bit awkward.

I might take them to Ambrosia Hino's house in the spring - to see if any of her friends want to wear them to the Atlanta Renn Faire, if they don't sell...

There's always a use for a costume, even if it doesn't fit you just this minute....

If all else fails, my dressmaking dummy might end up wearing one!

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #224 on: October 28, 2013, 01:24:50 PM »
Found another spot to declutter. (Still need to get rid of the old laptop!) I have about 1/3 of a shelf filled with small notebooks and folders that are basically scrap-paper notes from over the years. I used to write little notes on scrap paper, then I'd lose them or throw them away only to find I needed them again, so now I have small notebooks that I write everything in, and when it's full I put it on this shelf. Well, surely some of them, from years ago, could be tossed! And if I find something important, I can always tear out just that page and keep it. If I could get it down from 1/3 of a shelf to maybe one folder, that would be... more space for me to put other things. ;D

It's so funny how I look at this thing every day and it's only recently occurred to me that I could go through it and change it. You just get so used to looking at things sometimes.
~Lynn2000