Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 37121 times)

gmatoy

Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #225 on: October 28, 2013, 11:29:38 PM »
Two more bags out of the house on next Wednesday! Still decluttering, but starting to lose steam! Need to take a break from cleaning or going to work! Guess which one I'd LIKE to do! >:D

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #226 on: October 29, 2013, 10:34:25 AM »
As promised, decluttered the 1/3 of a shelf filled with old notes. It was fun flipping through the notebooks and seeing what I was working on. I saved about 1% of the pages. Mostly they were just temporary lists of things that would have been thrown away a long time ago if they were on loose scrap paper, nothing too exciting. Let me tell you, though, there is nothing to inspire fear for one's sanity than encountering pages of notes from a "room escape" game and not realizing what they are at first... ;) After that I was able to move several blank notebooks to this shelf from the cranny where I had originally stored them. Next up: A box on the same shelf, filled with... ??
~Lynn2000

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #227 on: October 29, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
A pile of boxes & used but not abused padded mailers to Freecycle today.  (The eBay seller was very happy to have them.)

A pile of women's clothing (cool & warm weather clothing) two sizes too small - if you go by numerical sizes instead of letter sizes (which span two numbered sizes), then they might have been either four or five sizes too small...to two women who are starting exercise programs.  One is in that size range and the other will be "soon" she said.  So the one is getting clothes that the other can no longer wear and neither is having to come up with a whole new wardrobe every three or four months...

I do need to go through the closet and pack away the summer clothes - or at least the shorts, it is "fall" in Houston (and I have varicose veins) so shorts are probably not going to be something that I need to wear until it gets back to the range of "hotter than normal human body temperature" again.  Probably not before Easter...or not more than once or twice, at least, before Easter!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 08:18:23 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

gmatoy

« Reply #228 on: October 31, 2013, 01:27:16 AM »
We have two, yes two, magazine racks. As of last night, the biggest one is empty and we are offering it to DD and SIL. Hope they want it and can get it before it gets filled! (Baby steps, but that is all I can do while working and keeping up the charity work that I do.)

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #229 on: October 31, 2013, 08:49:33 AM »
I was searching for some embroidery stuff that I *know* I have somewhere in my apartment, and found a whole LOT of stuff that can be put on Freecycle.   On the one hand, yay for Freecycle!  On the other hand, I still haven't found those embroidery projects.   :-[

It's going to be a busy busy weekend.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #230 on: October 31, 2013, 10:19:26 AM »
I was searching for some embroidery stuff that I *know* I have somewhere in my apartment, and found a whole LOT of stuff that can be put on Freecycle.   On the one hand, yay for Freecycle!  On the other hand, I still haven't found those embroidery projects.   :-[

I think your embroidery projects are in the bottom shelf of my big armoire in the living room. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #231 on: October 31, 2013, 10:58:11 AM »

I think your embroidery projects are in the bottom shelf of my big armoire in the living room.

LOL  Probably.   

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #232 on: November 04, 2013, 08:04:03 AM »

LOL  Probably.   
;)
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #233 on: November 04, 2013, 09:21:45 AM »

LOL  Probably.   
;)

I found *some* of my embroidery projects, but not all of them. They are now in a box together.  Then I put up so much stuff on Freecycle that a friend emailed me and asked me if I was moving.  LOL
No, I'm not moving, but it sure looks like it!
It was a very productive weekend.  I'm proud of myself.   :D

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #234 on: November 04, 2013, 10:40:56 AM »
Every time I read this thread I think, "Have I decluttered something recently that I can mention?" Well, I cleaned out the fridge this weekend and threw some stuff away, but I don't keep much extra in there. It was mostly about actually cleaning it, and rearranging things so I could find what I wanted easier. I also vacuumed under the couch cushions, so I have harvested approximately a pound of dust bunnies if anyone wants those! ;D

I'm next eyeing the shelf that holds my binders of financial records, and the bins where I stuff receipts etc. I haven't dealt with yet. Big job, that. Not so much decluttering as organizing, then culling the oldest stuff.
~Lynn2000

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #235 on: November 04, 2013, 04:54:08 PM »
I *hated* the various organizing shows - if they walked into a house where someone sewed, made jewelry, or otherwise was a serious crafter AS THEIR HOME BASED BUSINESS - they made them add about half their stuff to the garage sale to get rid of "clutter".

Wait one hairy minute - would you walk into a store or any business and tell the owner to "get rid" of half his stock of inventory?  I don't think so!  So why are you making someone get rid of half their "inventory" just because they work out of their home instead of a store or office?  (((grumble, mumble, possibly rude things under my breath))). 

Then they would gush about how much money the person made at the garage sale, with half their inventory being sold off at less than 25% of original "value" to make empty space.  Yeah, right....

I went to a (brief) class at the Quilt Festival (it was free - worth every penny I didn't pay and even more for a Boeing engineer's tips).  One of her comments is that anyone who starts "organizing" your stuff by making you get rid of at least half of it is CHEATING!  Read a different article, watch a different show, or buy a different book of tips - because if you are a quilter (seamstress, make your own jewelry, and especially if that is your BUSINESS/job) then they are cheating you out of half your "tools" (for artist's, half your supplies) to make it easier on themselves by reducing the amount of things that have to be organized.  I liked her....and her tips, too!

I will admit that if you've got damaged goods (flood, pests, broken drain, etc.) that there are legitimate reasons to get rid of "stuff" that is no longer useable - but you'll have to sort & organize ALL your stuff to find the things that no longer will be a part of your "inventory".  Size 2 patterns from when you were 14, half your current weight, and three inches shorter - put in a box to sell or donate - depending on whether or not that is an uncut pattern (or at least has all the pieces) or see if you have clients that want to dress in authentic vintage patterns and will PAY you to use if for them.

But trash it?  (((shudder)))  Ebay, Amazon, or even donate it to the local charity thrift store - where someone can use it.  Maybe a theater group is doing a revival of a play set in that time?   You never know...

I now have an idea on how to get my danged shelves sorted and organized (she was out of her stock in trade acrylic folding rulers - I'll have to improvise for now)...  And see how much space that leaves me for other things.

I'm also debating between a computer spreadsheet for patterns or a loose leaf notebook (possibly a combination) to make it easier to see if I have a given pattern without running to the store...again...

I sold six duplicate patterns last month and gave away one more to a visiting friend who sews. 

I've also got a link to a vintage pattern collector - who wants a chance to LOOK at the ones I want to sell (not current patterns - OLD ones).  It might not raise lots of money - but any chance to get some of my "investment" in my "inventory" and "supplies" is nothing to sneeze at! 

Not to mention being able to *find* the cloak clasps I spent money on for VorSon's new cloak...before next summer (Renn Faire at the end of the month).  There is also a project for VorDaughter - more usually referred to as Ambrosia Hino - for a chemise and over dress that she designed before she got married.  WonderfulGrandSon is now three...so it's been...let's leave it at "a few years longer than that" (and if she sees this, she'll tell everyone what the date is on the fabric store receipt - I just know it - because the fabric, pattern, etc. are at HER house).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #236 on: November 07, 2013, 02:27:44 PM »
I took a decluttering step today that I had not even thought about before.  Just wanted to pass this on in case anyone else is interested in it.  I got 4 catalogs in the mail today.  I must have contacted a business who sells their mailing lists to others   >:(   because I have been getting tons of them from  places i have never heard of, in the mail lately, several a day sometimes.  So, I called the 800 number on each of them and told them to take me off of their mailing lists.  Yay!  Maybe a baby step, but I do think it will make a difference.   I think there is a place online to go and ask them to stop sending, but I don't know what it is.  I think there is a general junk mail one, too, but I'm not sure about that. 

My husband just told me that he got one in his name today, too, and 'took care of it'.  I asked him if he called them and he said, "No, I just tossed it." 

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #237 on: November 07, 2013, 02:46:27 PM »
I've decluttered my computer! Which sounds odd, cause it's just virtual clutter, but still, it's very nice. I have two businesses I run and I have various documents and other such things saved for them. I started putting everything on USB drives awhile ago so that I could move between my laptop and desktop easily. Expect my collection of USB drives got a little nutty, and I'd pretty much just grab whichever was near by and throw what I needed onto. Which meant I had 14 USB drives to sort through to find what I wanted. Not exactly efficient. No more!!

I still have 14 drives, but they are all clearly labeled for their intended purpose and store information only for that purpose. Then I have one drive that I call my "travel drive", this is for if I need something different from each of the other 14, I can load copies onto this one and have it with me so I don't have to schlep around all 14 and then when I'm done with it I can clear it off and store it for "travel" again.

I also went and got two external hard drives. One for business stuff, and one personal stuff, clearly labeled and Partner has safely stored them away in our safe, she says we'll just update them from time to time with new stuff. This way if anything happens I'll have my stuff.

I love having nice clean computers and easy to find information. So nice. Now I just gotta figure out how to organize my USB drives. Right now they're just in a basket thing on my desk, not bad, but I think I can do better.

lilfox

« Reply #238 on: November 07, 2013, 02:52:10 PM »
Forgot to post this success from last month - I was forced to go through a bunch of my old financial documents looking for something that I never found anyway.  But that inspired me to shred several pounds' worth of documents and clear out most of my filing "system."  I did keep a fraction of the stuff for personal reasons, but most of it had been hauled around for way too long.

And I'm very much looking forward to donating all of these darn maternity clothes and reclaiming space in my closet and drawers, but that'll be next month's success story.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #239 on: November 07, 2013, 04:37:45 PM »
I took a decluttering step today that I had not even thought about before.  Just wanted to pass this on in case anyone else is interested in it.  I got 4 catalogs in the mail today.  I must have contacted a business who sells their mailing lists to others   >:(   because I have been getting tons of them from  places i have never heard of, in the mail lately, several a day sometimes.  So, I called the 800 number on each of them and told them to take me off of their mailing lists.  Yay!  Maybe a baby step, but I do think it will make a difference.   I think there is a place online to go and ask them to stop sending, but I don't know what it is.  I think there is a general junk mail one, too, but I'm not sure about that. 

My husband just told me that he got one in his name today, too, and 'took care of it'.  I asked him if he called them and he said, "No, I just tossed it."

www.catalogchoice.org

I did what you did a few years ago - amazing how much it helps!