Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 23208 times)

oogyda

Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #240 on: November 07, 2013, 07:23:10 PM »
My latest decluttering project has been forced upon me.

Our newish (6 years old) house has a lovely walk-in closet.  It's 8ft.x8ft.  On one side there is a single shelf and rod running the length of the closet.  On the other is two shelves/rods running the length, designed to hold shorter clothing such as shirts.  All very basic contractor grade wire shelving.  I figured I'd get around to upgrading it "someday" since it's very few people besides us see the inside of our closet.

Last weekend, I heard a loud crashing noise and ran around the house searching for it's location.  I found it when I could not open my closet door.  The top shelf/rod on the side with two had fallen off the wall!  We damaged the door a bit trying to get in but that will be easy enough to repair.  It looks like I'll be redoing the closet right after Thanksgiving.  In the meantime, I've sorted through everything in there.  I donated 3 big garbage bags of clothing and 2 comforters and organized everything else that I'll be keeping.  Some of it finally got packed up to go out in the garage. 

It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #241 on: November 07, 2013, 08:24:03 PM »
I did something in the way of replacing a plain wooden rod (one) in a small closet with the wire shelving in a kit for a two & one split.  VorGuy had that closet and his uniforms "shared" the larger walk in closet (two closets in the master suite).  It was a good idea - but he kept moving things from the overcrowded small closet to the shared closet...and I was running out of space for MY clothes.

Increasing the hanging space by 60% by going with a double set of rods on one side and one rod on the other made it possible not to have my clothes crowded out to another bedroom's closet (maternity clothes, before baby clothes, and after baby clothes - I was pregnant twice in that house).

It was a rental - so I chose to update ONLY the one closet - but the owner had no problem, as he'd been thinking of doing that before they got orders to move (military family) and we got orders to go there & contacted him about whether or not the house was currently rented out.  We were in it for four years - I think that the $50 or so was worth it some twenty years ago! 

I've been looking at updating our current master bedroom closet - but it is much larger and is going to run a lot more than $50 to do properly!  The other one was about five feet wide - this one is more like six feet deep and ten feet wide - so I'll need a lot more "parts"! 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 02:16:35 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #242 on: November 08, 2013, 09:41:23 PM »
My latest decluttering project has been forced upon me.

Our newish (6 years old) house has a lovely walk-in closet.  It's 8ft.x8ft.  On one side there is a single shelf and rod running the length of the closet.  On the other is two shelves/rods running the length, designed to hold shorter clothing such as shirts.  All very basic contractor grade wire shelving.  I figured I'd get around to upgrading it "someday" since it's very few people besides us see the inside of our closet.

Last weekend, I heard a loud crashing noise and ran around the house searching for it's location.  I found it when I could not open my closet door.  The top shelf/rod on the side with two had fallen off the wall!  We damaged the door a bit trying to get in but that will be easy enough to repair.  It looks like I'll be redoing the closet right after Thanksgiving.  In the meantime, I've sorted through everything in there.  I donated 3 big garbage bags of clothing and 2 comforters and organized everything else that I'll be keeping.  Some of it finally got packed up to go out in the garage.

I have the same setup, only mine is about 8 feet long, but only 5 or so wide. came home from being away, and my whole shelf/hanging rack had fallen. but because it was never hung on teh wall studs! and when they replaced it, they put the brackets incorrectly. so at some point i have ot remove everything and get them to come in and re-do it. (I live in an apt)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #243 on: November 09, 2013, 09:16:36 AM »
I went through several plastic bins yesterday and made a nice trip to the thrift store.  I finally parted with all that yarn that has been holding me captive and is of no use to me.  I stored some things upstairs in the storage rooms.  I have a real hard time not keeping everything that someone gives me out in sight, but there just is NO room! 
This morning was the biggie, though...I went through some of my beading things and reduced the keepers from a gigantic bin to a much small one.  I still love beading and all the stuff that goes with it, but just not at my house, anymore.  It's a start.  It's hard for me to part with those things. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #244 on: November 10, 2013, 11:41:41 AM »
I went through several plastic bins yesterday and made a nice trip to the thrift store.  I finally parted with all that yarn that has been holding me captive and is of no use to me.  I stored some things upstairs in the storage rooms.  I have a real hard time not keeping everything that someone gives me out in sight, but there just is NO room! 
This morning was the biggie, though...I went through some of my beading things and reduced the keepers from a gigantic bin to a much small one.  I still love beading and all the stuff that goes with it, but just not at my house, anymore.  It's a start.  It's hard for me to part with those things.

I've done that with all my scrapbooking stuff. I never have any time anymore, and I had so very much it was annoying me. I got it down to a manageable level, i.e. can be hidden in drawers etc. So I'm very happy about that.

My next project, but probably won't happen until after the holidays, is not quite decluttering, but scanning photos onto my computer. I want to make a photo book for my mom, but have to get them scanned first.

Lynn2000

« Reply #245 on: November 11, 2013, 02:25:51 PM »
My next project, but probably won't happen until after the holidays, is not quite decluttering, but scanning photos onto my computer. I want to make a photo book for my mom, but have to get them scanned first.

Scanning can be such a pain at the time, but I find it so worthwhile later, when I can organize, backup, and share photos so much more easily, and not worry about keeping the originals easily accessible.

One thing I do is put as many photos onto the scanner as will fit and then scan them all at once. Then, keeping them in the same place, I flip them all over and do one big scan of the backs (if there's anything written on the backs). Then later I can crop this group of pictures down into individual ones. My scanner is rather old and makes horrible noises as it's scanning, so I like to keep the number of passes as low as possible.  :P
~Lynn2000

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #246 on: November 11, 2013, 02:51:03 PM »

Scanning can be such a pain at the time, but I find it so worthwhile later, when I can organize, backup, and share photos so much more easily, and not worry about keeping the originals easily accessible.

One thing I do is put as many photos onto the scanner as will fit and then scan them all at once. Then, keeping them in the same place, I flip them all over and do one big scan of the backs (if there's anything written on the backs). Then later I can crop this group of pictures down into individual ones. My scanner is rather old and makes horrible noises as it's scanning, so I like to keep the number of passes as low as possible.  :P

Good idea! I hadn't thought about that. I don't want to do all of them, and I have done quite a few already. I jsut bought a new printer that scans. I also want to take some of my mom's photos, many of which I don't have, and scan those. 

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #247 on: November 12, 2013, 07:31:14 AM »

I've done that with all my scrapbooking stuff. I never have any time anymore, and I had so very much it was annoying me. I got it down to a manageable level, i.e. can be hidden in drawers etc. So I'm very happy about that.

It does feel good to get that sort of thing under control, to me.  I've pretty much decided to make paper my project basis.  Paper-cutting, collage and origami.  And I love my wire and tools so that stays.  Everything else is going away.  I have given away all of my paints and think I might take my books up to my son's on Thanksgiving (we host at his house) and let the family just take what they want.  My family really enjoys art/craft stuff and I think they'll all find good homes.  I might do the same with my beads.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Coralreef

« Reply #248 on: November 12, 2013, 09:39:41 AM »
I went through my clothes, with my sister's help and moral support.  Close to 3/4 of it did not fit anymore.  They are piled up on the guest bed, waiting for DIL to stop by and check if she wants anything.  I give it about 2 or 3 more weeks, then it will go to the thrift store.  It will make someone happy, a lot of it is designer clothing and pretty much looks like new. 

Now I have a huge empty closet and I will not buy new stuff, unless it is to replace something worn out. 

[/right

GratefulMaria

« Reply #249 on: November 12, 2013, 01:36:27 PM »
My mother moved in with us at the end of the summer, so we're combining furniture and household goods.  It's going nicely for the most part -- she and I can both agree on what to keep when there are duplicates.  There are knick-knacks, though, that she'd just love to have me curate for her.  She wants them, but not badly enough to find space for them in her room.  I've taken quite a few of her things already and purged a lot in anticipation of absorbing them, but there are still some items that just won't find a home here.  I guess I'm in the middle of decluttering plus pre-decluttering at the same time.

Amara

« Reply #250 on: November 14, 2013, 11:35:05 AM »
Fellow readers and booklovers know how hard it is to get rid of books. While I am not nearly as bad as I used to be I still probably own several hundred books. But I have been thinking about paring down even more.

Yesterday I had a discussion with one of my best friends, Lynn. She is a passionate reader too and a Vine reviewer so she often gets books that way. But as she is now a devoted Kindle user she rarely buys books. Still, she had so many that their house was stuffed--her husband collects valuable record albums--that they had a storage unit to house about two thousand of her books along with some other things. That storage unit was costing them $600 per year.

Last week they decided to get rid of it so she called a couple of book dealers, two of whom bought her more valuable items. Then the guy from the famous Bart's Books of Ojai came out and took all the rest. They ended up about $2,600 richer, and now she is considering pruning her home's bookshelves out.

So am I. I have pared before and feel as if every book I now have I love. And I do. But I no longer feel the need to keep many. For me, the library is fine. But because I don't have any dead weight, so to speak, I haven't really had the motivation to begin. Until I saw this post from The Improvised Life, an e-newsletter to which I subscribe, this morning: http://www.improvisedlife.com/2013/11/13/lighten-look-shelves-filled-books/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+improvisedlife+%28The+Improvised+Life%29

Now I am motivated. I have seen shelves like this before but somehow her post has infused me with a new sense that this is right at this time. I don't have many "objects" since I object to mindless clutter--and I won't go out and buy any just to fill space--but I have a strong sense that this look is exactly what I want. More simple. Airier. More artistic while remaining readable. Just kinda neat, ya know?

I know what I am going to be starting tonight.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #251 on: November 27, 2013, 06:18:39 AM »
This week I went through a bunch of boxes of old papers and ended up with a huge black trash bag full of shredding.  I also ended up with a huge trash bag full of papers that don't need shredding, envelopes, newspapers, etc.  Gosh.  I couldn't believe it...and that's not the bottom of the paper pit.  All those trees!  I've been contacting the catalog stores that somehow got my name when I ordered something online, and am telling them to stop sending, already! 
I have more to go through, but I sometimes don't know what I need to keep and what to throw out, and when. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #252 on: November 27, 2013, 10:10:10 AM »
This week I went through a bunch of boxes of old papers and ended up with a huge black trash bag full of shredding.  I also ended up with a huge trash bag full of papers that don't need shredding, envelopes, newspapers, etc.  Gosh.  I couldn't believe it...and that's not the bottom of the paper pit.  All those trees!  I've been contacting the catalog stores that somehow got my name when I ordered something online, and am telling them to stop sending, already! 
I have more to go through, but I sometimes don't know what I need to keep and what to throw out, and when.

I live alone and am AMAZED at the amount of trash I have. Mainly paper. shredding, catalogs and other stuff that gets chucked. Simply amazing. its never ending!!! 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #253 on: November 27, 2013, 11:10:49 AM »
I'm really good about sorting my paper as it comes in and the stuff that can be recycled goes back out regularly.  But the shredding pile?  Builds up.  I do get to it at least once a year at tax time because when I file the documents on which the taxes were based, I pull out the oldest folder of tax documents and shred those, as well as any other shredding hanging about.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #254 on: November 27, 2013, 11:39:37 AM »
This weekend is when I have decided to work on my kitchen. It has become the dumping ground for the stuff (from other rooms) that is to be shredded, recycled, or donated.

My Mom and Dad gave me a nice wooden kitchen base cabinet he made years ago. I have to declutter to make room for this cabinet.