Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 36693 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #255 on: November 27, 2013, 12:32:52 PM »
I am also cleaning my kitchen this week.  Mine is also a catch all.  It drives me mad.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #256 on: November 30, 2013, 06:30:09 PM »
I had to change a light bulb over the sink today.  Decided it would be easier to change light bulbs in future if I switched the fixture 180 degrees, so that I can access all three little screws holding the milk glass cover in place. 

The resulting shower of grossness is also going in that thread (let's leave it at "bug dust" in this thread) - but on THIS thread, I am now mightily motivated to clean the kitchen counter and get rid of some of the clutter.  I may "enjoy" the collection of various glass & ceramic containers lined up with a basket or two - but they are "just" out of reach unless I stand on a ladder & lean way over...

Everything is going through the dishwasher - as I want to get things CLEAN.  If I had a steam sterilizer like my mother used to use when canning fruits & vegetables at home or the autoclave that she used at work...I'd be shoving everything into it.  But the closest appliance I have is the dishwasher.

But the danged light fixture got rotated 180 degrees and it got CLEANED, too.

My "collection" of cute kitschy things is going to get smaller....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #257 on: November 30, 2013, 07:38:30 PM »
Well, my decluttering plan is going to be put into high gear.  I have someone coming on Tuesday to give me a quote on cleaning and I want her in before Christmas.  And then once a month hereafter.

I don't have a lot of time so I think my plan will be to toss everything into rubbermaids that I can stack in a corner in my craft room.  Then, as I have time, I'll go through a rubbermaid or two.  I wouldn't normally do it this way but with Christmas coming, I don't have the time to do it the way I'd like.

I do not clean before the cleaner comes but I do tidy so she can find the floor to vacuum and mop.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #258 on: November 30, 2013, 08:40:46 PM »
Yeah - finding the floor is a good thing...I need to work on that in the sewing studio.  I cleared the storage area due to a leaking drain - and it shows.  My sewing room looks like a before shot on one of the home makeover shows.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #259 on: November 30, 2013, 08:53:11 PM »
Yeah, my craft room is affectionately known as the hoarder room right now.  It is also my kitchen overflow room, where I keep all my cake decorating stuff and all the cake pans and muffin tins.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #260 on: December 02, 2013, 12:01:41 PM »
I do not clean before the cleaner comes but I do tidy so she can find the floor to vacuum and mop.

Ah, but that *is* exactly what 'cleaning for the cleaning lady' is supposed to be!  I never understood it before I got my current cleaning lady.  I have to keep my crap picked up and put away so she can actually *clean*.  The more stuff I have out of her way, the better she can clean.   Having her come over once a month actually forces me to be neater overall.  It's a symbiotic relationship.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #261 on: December 02, 2013, 12:05:29 PM »

Ah, but that *is* exactly what 'cleaning for the cleaning lady' is supposed to be!  I never understood it before I got my current cleaning lady.  I have to keep my crap picked up and put away so she can actually *clean*.  The more stuff I have out of her way, the better she can clean.   Having her come over once a month actually forces me to be neater overall.  It's a symbiotic relationship.

This is what I'm hoping.  When you life alone, it is too easy to 'carp where you land', as my mother would have said.  Only she didn't say carp.  If I can get it sorted and have her coming on a regular day each month - or every 4 weeks - me and my OCD will be much happier.  Chronic illness and OCD are not a good combo.  The carp drives me nuts but I don't generally have the energy to deal with it, which just stresses me out.  If I can take cleaning off my plate, I can expend my energy on the stuff I like doing, like baking, knitting, gardening, skiing, softball...
Ontario

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #262 on: December 02, 2013, 01:58:05 PM »
I added some more "things" to my tiny apartment after celebrating my birthday this weekend.  :P I also brought home some more folders of my old stories from my parents' house, which I am typing up and then tossing to reduce clutter. I already have a huge backlog so I didn't really need to bring more, but sometimes I'm just in the mood for certain things and typing goes so much faster when I'm inherently interested in the content.

I am really going to get rid of the old laptop this week. I'm going to remove the hard drive and then take the old housing to Best Buy. Actually it's the carrying case that takes up so much room and my mom was like, why don't you just put other stuff in it, once the laptop is gone? Well, duh.

On the bright side I am making really good progress with reading my backlog of magazines. I think before the end of the year one of my two stacks will be gone, and then I can focus exclusively on the remaining stack. I think that will be gone before next summer. That will be a huge accomplishment for me and I think I will feel really good for having actually read them, ripped out the few articles I'm really interested in, and tossed the rest--as opposed to just dumping them all in the recycling bin straight away, which I think would have been just treating the symptom and not the overall problem of allowing magazines to pile up. Now I will have a good lesson about how I need to either keep up with what I subscribe to, or stop subscribing.
~Lynn2000

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #263 on: December 05, 2013, 08:27:16 PM »
We had a pretty large collection of wine bottles (cool bottles, cool labels, whatever) that lined the entire backsplash of the kitchen except where the stove is.

They're all gone now, thank heavens.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #264 on: December 06, 2013, 07:47:07 AM »
This weekend I am donating most of a bolt of cotton batting to a cat shelter that will use it to make cat beds for the shelter.   I bought the bolt when one of my nearby fabric stores went out of business and I got it for less than half price, but honestly, I don't use that much batting!  So I'm going to pull off enough to make 2 quilts and give them the rest.  It's a good cause.

Now I am going to enjoy looking at that giant HOLE in my closet and wonder what to do with it. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #265 on: December 06, 2013, 08:49:17 AM »
Well, the cleaner didn't work out.  She is much more expensive than I was expecting and she doesn't do some of the things I want done.  And she won't use my cleaning stuff that allows me to clean, using only cold water, thus avoiding chemicals.

So back to the drawing board on that front.  But I still need to declutter and clean so I start working on that next week.  I'm going to give an hour a day, setting a timer, to try and get stuff done.  I'll have 4 piles:  pitch, recycle, donate, sell.  Anything that is 'keep' has to be put away immediately.

I don't know whether or not I have unrealistic expectations but I have always thought that if I'm hiring someone to clean, they should be doing MORE than what I do myself when I clean.  This lady who came in doesn't clean on top of cabinets, doesn't lift most knick knacks to dust, doesn't do even the insides of windows, won't use my products, wants me to supply all the products for her to use and wants to charge me at least $25 more per visit than I think I should be paying, talking to other people in the office.  I'm really kind of frustrated right now but I do have a few leads for some other cleaners and cleaning companies.
Ontario

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #266 on: December 06, 2013, 10:56:24 AM »
I don't know whether or not I have unrealistic expectations but I have always thought that if I'm hiring someone to clean, they should be doing MORE than what I do myself when I clean.  This lady who came in doesn't clean on top of cabinets, doesn't lift most knick knacks to dust, doesn't do even the insides of windows, won't use my products, wants me to supply all the products for her to use and wants to charge me at least $25 more per visit than I think I should be paying, talking to other people in the office.  I'm really kind of frustrated right now but I do have a few leads for some other cleaners and cleaning companies.

Well, my expectations would be the same as yours, so I don't know if we're both unrealistic or what...
~Lynn2000

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #267 on: December 06, 2013, 01:02:27 PM »

The best place to ask is on a local bulletin board or a local group.  That's how I found my current lovely lady.  I asked on the Freecycle café list for my area, and she came highly recommended.
In the past, I have found cleaning folks on Craigslist, but you have to be careful there.  Lots of crazies out there.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #268 on: December 06, 2013, 01:11:09 PM »
^  I have two or three more recommendations already from various people in the office.  As well as a few non-recommendations!

I even have the number of a lady I met in Costco back in the summer.  There were a few of us looking at rugs and searching for particular patterns.  This lovely lady assisted all of us in digging out the different patterns from the bottom of the bin.  When one of the other people thanked her, she just brushed it off but did happen to mention that she'd been cleaning houses all day.  I asked her for a card, which she didn't have, but she gave me her number.  I figure anyone willing to go to the trouble to help out fellow shoppers can't be all bad.   :)  I'll give her a call when I get some decluttering done between now and the New Year.

My baking will be done tonight or tomorrow morning; I still have cards and knitting to do but otherwise, I'm not too busy.  So I think I'm going to try to give 30-60 minutes per night, using a timer, and just start *somewhere*.  If I get tired, I can stop the timer, take a rest, start the timer back up and go back to it.
Ontario

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #269 on: December 23, 2013, 09:59:03 AM »
Bless my husband's heart!  At some point yesterday evening he cleaned and organized the computer room,which is the landing zone room for anything that has no home and probably shouldn't even exist in ours!.  I don't know how he organized it so it doesn't look like it's someone's junk drawer, but he did.  When I came in here this morning I was so happy!   :) :) :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 10:00:38 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.