Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 38405 times)

Margo

Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #315 on: March 30, 2014, 07:29:11 AM »
I'm (finally - it's been a long slog) moving house later this week. I did one big burst of decluttering when I first decided to put the house on the market, and little bits and pieces since.

This weekend I'm trying to get rid of things I don't need, rather than move them to the new house - yesterday I took 4 big bags of clothes and books to a charity shop, 1 bag of books to donate to the library, and 2 big black bags of rubbish and several half empty tins of paint to the tip.

I'm sure I will still be moving some stuff I don't need ,but a lot less of it :) I haven't had time to go through all of the files of paper work to see what I can shred or bin, et, but at least all of that is in one place.

I went through my kitchen cupboards, and was pleasantly surprised that there wasn't much to throw out - I expected to find some out of date food, and was also reviewing whether there are any pan etc that don't get used, but there weren't!

darling

« Reply #316 on: March 31, 2014, 06:01:34 PM »
I'm moving in July, so I started decluttering a week and a half ago. I still have a long way to go before I'll be happy with the level of stuff to be moved, but I have plenty of time. Our goal is to go through at least one storage box every evening (my son is in college, and has a job, so this works out good for him).

My biggest hurdle is going to be the laundry. We have coin operated machines in our building, and they have been in poor repair for quite some time. They finally got two of the three dryers working someone normally, but with 22 units in the building, 3 washers and 2 dryers just don't cut it. We've been limping along, doing one load or two a week, as we can get in, but that doesn't allow for any catching up. I need to just suck it up, find a good laundromat, and get it all over and done with. The only ones on our side of town are very sketchy. There used to be a very fancy laundromat with a bar and pool table, but that closed down a few years ago, and wasn't replaced. I could totally go for a glass of wine while waiting for all of my clothes to wash and dry at once. :)

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #317 on: March 31, 2014, 09:46:24 PM »
I inspired my oldest to clean out a basket of stuffed animals. Now to get the other child to clean her room.

I also went through the gadget drawer in the kitchen and pitched anything broken or too old.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #318 on: April 01, 2014, 01:58:11 PM »
I just bought 2 underbed storage boxes on wheels, so I'm going to take those boxes of books out of the spare room closet and put them under the bed, where I can see what I've got, and clear out some actual room in the spare room.  I'm so excited.  I'm actually finding real space to put stuff away!

bloo

« Reply #319 on: April 11, 2014, 07:57:32 PM »
I've been perusing some decluttering and minimalist websites and got a pretty good idea that I immediately implemented.

This one in particular:
http://unclutterer.com/2010/07/29/strategies-for-seeing-clutter/

gave me the idea of taking pictures of my place to 'see' it in a different light. Yikes! I just started walking around taking snaps with my tablet and what was normal to me was 'cluttery' in photos.

I have a couple of corkboards in my dining room and stuff is tacked haphazardly to them. Ick. Poof! They're gone. I cleared a bunch of stuff out of my living room and dining room because of the photos.

It almost looks like I just moved in. Pretty cool. 8)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #320 on: April 17, 2014, 03:55:08 PM »
So, I had my gallbladder removed recently. That's "decluttering" my insides, right? ;) But this inspired me to change to a very low-fat diet, which in turn meant I had to get rid of a lot of my current food. I sent a box of unopened stuff to a food pantry and passed some opened stuff on to people I knew. Of course I bought new, low-fat food, but not as much since I'm also trying to do smaller portions.

Since I was in a "toss it out" mood I also filled a box with stuff to be taken to a resale store--we have a great one that will take almost anything in decent condition, even electronics, so I got rid of some funny plastic cups, an old (functional) DVD player, some other electronic things, potholders, etc.. I went through all my kitchen cabinets looking for stuff that I didn't need/want anymore.
~Lynn2000

GratefulMaria

« Reply #321 on: April 17, 2014, 04:36:15 PM »
Getting rid of plastic bins here!  DH, DS1, and DS2 have an amazing collection of Legos.  This past week-or-two, I've been sorting, bagging, and storing them in a cabinet we got from my mother.  Giant Ziploc bags to the rescue, they use up much less space, and the bins are for either a Useful Purpose or out the door for donation.

Next week I'm starting on household linens.

Lynn2000, can't top your declutter -- hope your recovery is quick and complete!   :D

snowfire

« Reply #322 on: April 18, 2014, 12:21:16 AM »
Defrosted our big freezer this last weekend.  Got rid of a bunch of stuff that had gotten lost in the back for more time than I care to admit.  Anything that looked freezer burned got tossed & things that were ok, but older got moved to our kitchen fridge/freezer for quick use.  Much more room & determined not to let things age out anymore.   

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #323 on: April 18, 2014, 09:41:10 AM »
Sorted 8 boxes of books!

I have been buying and collecting paperbacks since childhood. These bookds were stored in the basement after running out of shelf space long, long ago. I looked at each book and if I couldn't remember anything about it, it went. If I remembered but couldn't imagine ever wanting to read it again, it went.

My children also helped me sort the many children's books. They are not the least sentimental about old books, so unless they remembered wanting it read over and over, they put it on the donate pile.

we still have a lot of books, but a lot less than before.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #324 on: April 18, 2014, 10:42:14 AM »
Lynn2000, can't top your declutter -- hope your recovery is quick and complete!   :D

Thanks! The doctor said it had probably been bothering me for a while and that I would have more energy once I recovered, so I am looking forward to that! Sometimes I think my biggest obstacle to decluttering is just lack of energy to sort stuff and get it where it needs to go.

Also, at my parents' house we went through a lot of my bookshelves and collected several bags of children's books to donate to a local school, per their ad in the paper. I'm not sure if the books have actually been delivered yet, but hey, I did my part! :)
~Lynn2000

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #325 on: April 18, 2014, 03:30:57 PM »
Sorted 8 boxes of books!

I have been buying and collecting paperbacks since childhood. These bookds were stored in the basement after running out of shelf space long, long ago. I looked at each book and if I couldn't remember anything about it, it went. If I remembered but couldn't imagine ever wanting to read it again, it went.

My children also helped me sort the many children's books. They are not the least sentimental about old books, so unless they remembered wanting it read over and over, they put it on the donate pile.

we still have a lot of books, but a lot less than before.

The library in the town my parent's used to live in LOVED us. I worked in publishing for 5 years and had literally several thousand books in my parent's basement. Every year my mom would make noises and make me get rid of some for the library's annual book sale (she was a volunteer). Slowly, but surely, the piles went down!

Now that I have e-readers, i keep very few books. I don't have the space, and I don't like the clutter.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #326 on: April 18, 2014, 03:31:53 PM »
My new project is to start small. Maybe do one drawer, cabinet etc. each night, a few nights a week. if i do that, it will only take me 30 mins or less, and i can slowly accomplish a lot more than trying to do ti all in one day, and getting frustrated.

Phoebelion

« Reply #327 on: April 19, 2014, 06:52:17 AM »
Today is officially "go thru the fabric and get rid of it" day.  DIL and her niece are bringing bagels and we're going to spend several hours (yes I have

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #328 on: April 19, 2014, 12:26:27 PM »
Today is officially "go thru the fabric and get rid of it" day.  DIL and her niece are bringing bagels and we're going to spend several hours (yes I have

I would offer to give it a new home - but, in lieu of getting rid of fabric - I am requiring myself to buy NEW stuff only if it is buttons, trim, lining, or otherwise essential to finish a project made from the stash.  Patterns in my current size if on sale are acceptable - styles do change - but I need to finish my Excel spread sheet...so far I've found about a dozen duplicates.  Sold six to one buyer (three patterns in two size ranges - Connie Amaden Crawford's Butterick patterns are very, very popular and classic in styling).  I'm waiting to list the others until I can do them in one batch.

Yahoo! has a couple of groups (Sew It's For Sale and Craft Items For Sale) that are just for sewing & crafting items - if you want to try getting some of your money back.  People also post requests (called "In Search Of") for things that they need a bit more of (Star Wars or Wizard of Oz quilt fabric are two of the requests I remember, sometimes a sewing machine manual, or various notions that are either no longer available or not available where the poster lives - some people in rural areas find it easier to order stuff to be brought to them than to try tracking it down within driving distance....or "driving distance" may be too long to bother with on a ranch in the back of beyond).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:28:07 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

POF

« Reply #329 on: April 19, 2014, 12:33:08 PM »
What  I do is when I put anything away I straighten and purge the area.  if I keep up with this, then i never get a big build up ... ( except for DH's "areas").  He has some hoarder tendencies. 

At firdt this takes a lot more time, but as I do it more and more, everything gets addressed.