Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 40405 times)

Margo

Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #330 on: April 19, 2014, 02:37:27 PM »
I'm now in the unpacking phase of my house move and I am finding that there is stuff which, when it comes to finding somewhere to put it (new house is larger, but has less built in storage, plus I want to wait until I have redecorated before I put up too many shelves et.) I think maybe I can do without. I've got 2 large bags of clothes to take to a charity shop next week, and I am going to *try* to see whether I can do without some of the books which have been boxed up since September.

demarco

« Reply #331 on: April 19, 2014, 04:20:58 PM »
My new project is to start small. Maybe do one drawer, cabinet etc. each night, a few nights a week. if i do that, it will only take me 30 mins or less, and i can slowly accomplish a lot more than trying to do ti all in one day, and getting frustrated.

I'm doing the same thing, siamesecat, although not as often. I was successful for a while tackling bigger projects but one drawer at a time is all I can cope with right now. I'm lucky if I can do one drawer every two to four weeks weeks but it's still better than nothing.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #332 on: April 19, 2014, 07:11:40 PM »
I spent some time this afternoon going through my patterns.  I have been entering them on a spreadsheet and pulling the duplicates or others that I won't be making (first time or again, whichever applies) aside to a stack to list for sale. 

I'm not done yet, but I have gotten more than 2/3 of the way through, it looks like. 

Except for the Stretch & Sew patterns (larger size envelope than most) and a few more that are in a stack of Un Finished pr Ojects (UFOs).  There are just over 200 patterns listed so far and thirty of them are going to go.  Including at least eight duplicates...sigh.  This inventory will be going on my tablet with an office program that SHOULD let me open it while I'm shopping...and it includes a description.  LATER, I may do a photo gallery, but not today.

It cleared some floor space...not as much as I'd hoped, as the patterns that I haven't entered into the spread sheet are still in the boxes on the floor...but there are fewer of them!

Back to sewing...it's still my mother's birthday present from 1 April - but it's closer to being finished, at least!

Only in a sewing room does measuring progress in such small increments make sense.  I'm used to working with 1/4", 5/8", and similar small numbers on seam allowances, buttonholes, and the like!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

gmatoy

« Reply #333 on: April 20, 2014, 12:01:24 AM »
Like several of the PP, I am working on organizing my sewing area. I have all the small pieces hung over file folders in three crates. I'm trying to find at least two more of those crates and my mantra is: sew it up or quit sewing. I know that I can't quit sewing so I will get it sewn!

(Small sidebar: I'm collecting fabrics to make a wall hanging quilt for a librarian friend. Today I found fabric that has the words to the "Monkeys jumping on the bed" story. It will go so well with the Wimpy Kid, Curious George, and Dr. Seuss fabrics that I have already found. I have 5 years to get this one done, so I can enjoy the hunt!)

Phoebelion

« Reply #334 on: April 20, 2014, 06:09:29 AM »
Sorry about the dropped part of my post yesterday - didn't realize it happened.

DIL and niece really helped me purge the fabric and were thrilled.  Went from 12 boxes (hanging head in shame) to 4.  They each took home 2 boxes and are dropping the rest at the local church that makes lap quilts for the local convalescent homes.  We even went thru the patterns and they took home some of those.  DH was very impressed when he got home last night.

Now if I could just talk him into working on the garage:)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #335 on: April 20, 2014, 11:49:54 AM »
I kept plugging "just a few more patterns" into the inventory last night. It looks like I'm about 2/3 done - maybe a little more.

Ended up with 230 entries and almost fifty of them got pulled out to list for sale.  About ten of those fifty are duplicate copies, same pattern & same size.  There are a few classic or basic patterns that I get in more than one size range, in case a family member wants something sewn for them.

I do have some "missing" Stretch & Sew patterns (much larger pattern envelopes) and pattern books (envelope with the patterns is still bound into the book).  They will be going on a book case and not the new wire pattern drawers.  Part of the impetus to sort through things has been to cull down to what will fit in the drawers, what is currently in style (or classic enough not to matter), and in the correct size range.

Then I finish a few UFOs that have been hanging around and get some sorting out done.

I had ended up with two Longaberger sewing baskets - I gave one to my sister, because as kids, we got "matching" sewing baskets for Christmas one year.  Those were small "toy" baskets - although the needles, thread, and small scissors were REAL, they weren't big enough to hold full sized sewing projects.  Barbie doll clothes, maybe, but no more than two projects at a time...roughly the size of a 4" x 6" index card file (recipe cards).  The Longaberger basket is larger - but intended to store tools & notions (and it had the two layer plastic liner in it, to help her organize things).  (I looked for a link to the correct style - and didn't see one - sorry about that).

She's not quite ready to retire but she's mentioned thinking about taking up sewing again.

And I need to break down and organize MY notions & tools into my Longaberger sewing basket now, so it will be easier to keep up with them (instead of into several different locations around the sewing room - where ever I laid them down "for just a minute" the last time I used them).

But first, I need to finish Mom's birthday present so I can put it in the mail tomorrow...which will clear off some space!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #336 on: April 21, 2014, 06:19:30 PM »
Our place has a guest house. When we moved in a year ago, it was so dingy and musty that we just crammed junk in there to deal with later (tm).

This weekend, we decided that we haven't missed whatever is in there, so we sorted it all into "take to dump," "take to thrift store," and "take to Habitat for Humanity."  Then we ripped out the carpeting and shop-vacuumed the inch-thick layer of dirt underneath.

We're looking forward to priming and painting, not least because we won't need to use dropcloths!
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #337 on: April 21, 2014, 07:19:38 PM »
My new project is to start small. Maybe do one drawer, cabinet etc. each night, a few nights a week. if i do that, it will only take me 30 mins or less, and i can slowly accomplish a lot more than trying to do ti all in one day, and getting frustrated.

I'm doing the same thing, siamesecat, although not as often. I was successful for a while tackling bigger projects but one drawer at a time is all I can cope with right now. I'm lucky if I can do one drawer every two to four weeks weeks but it's still better than nothing.

This is the only way I can get started on anything:  I tell myself I can stop after a small section, or one shelf, or whatever applies.  This way there's years of work ahead of me.   :-[  When I was chafing about my (lack of) progress last night, DH reminded me that "it stays done," which was heartening.

Today I cleared a bunch of linens from some cubbies we're offering to DS1 and his GF; some went to new cabinet, most to a huge donation bag.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #338 on: April 21, 2014, 07:25:04 PM »
I kept trying to get VorGuy to pick a place with a guest house or a garage with a second story something or other over it.

It would have been ideal for guests, his home office, or my sewing studio. 

But it was one of the things that the house that he fell in love with early in the search didn't have...and he'd quit looking once he found the house HE liked.

Sadly, for me, he claims that this is his last house as he doesn't want to go shopping again (well, unless he really, really has to - he wants to "age in place" like his parents have so far - but since HE picked a larger two story house, that won't be as easily done for us as their somewhat smaller single story ranch house).

At least it has an upstairs family room that has proven ideal for a sewing studio! 

But the attic of the garage and the house turned out to have had a lot of "stuff" left in them from the previous owners.  The main house attic got cleaned out before we added insulation & vents for air circulation - but the garage attic...is still looking like a bad flea market's leftovers got dumped up there.  Barely a place to stand and NO LIGHT.  The stuff was taken up before 2005 in biodegradable plastic garbage bags.  Which are flaking and breaking when you try to lift a bag up to toss it down the access ladder...

And our still packed extra boxes that he had a year to unpack...but never did...are crowding the garage itself.  Which has now been declared "my" problem.  I'm trying to hold out for his help after he retires in 2016...it's only another 20 or so months...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:29:03 PM by VorFemme »

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #339 on: April 22, 2014, 08:49:05 AM »
I'm so proud of myself.  I've lived in this apartment for 2 years now, and I FINALLY got to the boxes of my books that have been stored in the spare room closet.  I sorted through them and filled up 2 underbed storage boxes with books, and ended up with a full box for Freecycle.   There is a box and a half left, full of mostly magazines that need to be sorted through and homes found for them.  Mostly sewing magazines (Sew news). 

And now I have space in a closet!!!  woohoo!

otterwoman

« Reply #340 on: April 22, 2014, 09:00:14 AM »
I'm so proud of myself.  I've lived in this apartment for 2 years now, and I FINALLY got to the boxes of my books that have been stored in the spare room closet.  I sorted through them and filled up 2 underbed storage boxes with books, and ended up with a full box for Freecycle.   There is a box and a half left, full of mostly magazines that need to be sorted through and homes found for them.  Mostly sewing magazines (Sew news). 

And now I have space in a closet!!!  woohoo!

My local library has a magazine swap bin. People can just leave their old magazines and other people can take what they want out. I leave my old magazines there.

demarco

« Reply #341 on: May 06, 2014, 08:27:48 PM »

A local charity is picking up donations in my neighborhood tomorrow and I have spent a couple of days gathering things for them. They are accepting toys so I took this opportunity to sort through my stuffed animal hoard, which I have been keeping in the attic. I was hoping to cut it down by half but I was only able to part with about 15% of it. DH gave most of them to me for special occasions and I found it very hard to part with those. I was able to part with most of my jigsaw puzzles. They take up a lot of room so it will be good to have them gone. I went through a bunch of party type clothes that I have only recently been able to fit back into. I was able to bag up most of those without too much angst. I was planning to donate a bunch of kitchen utensils but it turned out they were not in good enough condition to give away. Today was trash and recycling day so I got rid of those this morning. I was able to assemble a box of dishes to donate. All in all, I did not get as much done as I had hoped but it's something.

I have saved every cancelled check I've ever written. Checks are small so the whole mess only fills a couple of boxes but still.... I dragged them out of the basement recently so I could shred them and found that I could not.  I started looking at them and it was such a trip down memory lane, "So that's how much we were paying for electricity in 1981!" I couldn't shred a single one.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #342 on: May 07, 2014, 12:05:05 AM »
Trying to convince Mr. Sirius that he doesn't need to keep his old camo uniforms from when he was active duty military has been a challenge.   He retired in 2004, and except for the desert camo boots I have yet to see any of the other items out of their box.  He took his blue uniforms to Goodwill almost on his way home from his last day, and now refuses to wear blue if he can possibly avoid it.  He also kept his duffel, but that's useful for storing sleeping bags.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #343 on: May 07, 2014, 09:04:40 AM »
Trying to convince Mr. Sirius that he doesn't need to keep his old camo uniforms from when he was active duty military has been a challenge.   He retired in 2004, and except for the desert camo boots I have yet to see any of the other items out of their box.  He took his blue uniforms to Goodwill almost on his way home from his last day, and now refuses to wear blue if he can possibly avoid it.  He also kept his duffel, but that's useful for storing sleeping bags.

My DH has 28 years in, so I feel the pain of curating various sets of uniforms.  How about the stacks of old FMs?  On the plus side, I'm in the process of making room to use an old foot locker as a window seat.

demarco

« Reply #344 on: May 12, 2014, 07:45:02 PM »
I've been DVRing episodes of Hoarders for inspiration. Today I watched an episode for 15 minutes, then went to the basement and loaded a bag, then watched for another 15 minutes and so on. I got four bags done that way.

I couldn't make any headway with one thing, though. I have a big box of German books from college. They smell moldy and I can no longer read them but I cannot seem to let them go.