Author Topic: Successful Substitutions and Awesome Adjustments...  (Read 660 times)

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
Successful Substitutions and Awesome Adjustments...
« on: August 10, 2013, 06:23:43 PM »
So I wanted to create a thread that helped people change their recipes as needed. I know cooking websites and The Google usually have 99% of what we need to be successful in this kind of thing, but once in a while us, um 'creative' cooking types need some practical advice that isn't covered or is harder to find. ;)

The minute I find a recipe I like, my M.O. is to start playing around with it and seeing what other versions I can come up with. But I don't know the rules for adjusting ingredients as far as the wet-to-dry ratio is affected.

I have a brownie recipe that I love which I am trying to "unbrownie" into a different tasting bar - so I plan to use butterscotch chips (or maybe peanut butter chips...or maybe both  ;D) instead of chocolate, but what about the 1/3 cup baking cocoa they say to use? Should I put in more flour? Bake them longer or at a higher temp? These are already super SUPER moist, so just leaving out a dry ingredient completely doesn't seem right...

Any thoughts, discovered online resources, or anecdotes of similar experiences would be great...and anyone else who has a cool "frankensteined" recipe to share is welcome to do so. Anyone with a similar question to mine can put it here or S/O as needed.

Thanks!

PS: The recipe in question is Whole Wheat Zucchini Brownies  ;D Sooooooo awesome!
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: Successful Substitutions and Awesome Adjustments...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 09:37:32 PM »
Well it depends what you want your end product to be...

If you want a more cake like bar, I would start by adding another egg and just subbing the chocolate chips for another flavored chip. Maybe add 5 minutes cooking time, keeping a very close eye on it.  To lower the fat content, you can sub applesauce for the oil.

If you want it non chocolate,  leave out the cocoa powder, sub with maybe a bit of flour, add vanilla or almond extract.  Another oil substitution is sour cream...it might be interesting in this combo.

Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

sweetonsno

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 01:11:23 AM »
If it's just 1/3 c., you can probably leave it out without too much difficulty. (One way to alter a cookie/cake recipe is to simply add 1/3 c. cocoa powder.) It might take a minute longer to cook, but I don't think you should change the temperature.

I'd be most concerned about melting the butterscotch morsels. They will probably behave differently from the chocolate ones, so I'd play it safe and either melt them in a double-boiler or in thirty-second increments (on 50-70% power).

Also, to cut down on moisture a bit, you can squeeze some of the liquid out of the zucchini after you grate it.

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 01:25:33 PM »
A couple of years ago, we went to a cookout at a friends and brought brownies (Better Homes and Garden recipe). Friend is allergic to dairy and friend's daughter is allergic to nuts.  We used vegetable oil (reduced a bit in amount) in place of the margarine/butter and chopped maraschino cherries instead of walnuts. They were a huge hit judging by the number of recipe requests that evening.
The days are long but the years are short.