Author Topic: AUGH! I messaged the wrong person!!  (Read 2034 times)

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
AUGH! I messaged the wrong person!!
« on: August 12, 2013, 02:18:01 PM »
Oh, I think I want to sink into a hole and DIIIIE!   :-[

I just sent an etsy conversation asking about a particular item, but also about several other items in the shop.  Then I went back to look at the other items and saw they weren't in the shop anymore.  Then I noticed that the seller had suddenly dropped from nearly 2000 sales to only 8 and several pages of inventory to only 3 pages.

THEN I noticed that the shop name was ever so slightly different.  And I realized I had both shops open at the same time in different tabs - opened them up in tabs as I clicked on each individual item from my search results.

I'm sure the seller is wondering what I'm talking about with regard to selling in larger lots as she doesn't have any lots.

How do I correct this?

:-[ :-[ :-[

Zizi-K

Re: AUGH! I messaged the wrong person!!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 02:21:01 PM »
Whoa, take a breath. It's an easy mistake to make. The first thing you should do is message the right seller so you can, you know, get answers to your questions. Second, and only if you feel like it, you can message the incorrect seller and just say, "oops, sorry, I meant that to go to a different seller."

Knitterly

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 02:22:22 PM »
I should make a note that I'm not actually interested in purchasing from the seller I'd convo'd, as she doesn't have a wide enough selection for me.  I need a much wider selection than she has available.  :(

I feel positively terrible as a struggling etsy shop owner myself. 

I know I'd feel a deep pang of disappointment if I got such a message promising a big order than a second one telling me it was meant for someone else.

SlitherHiss

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 02:23:36 PM »
First, take a deep breath :D This is absolutely not worthy of sinking into a pit of shame over.

Just send her a single follow-up message to the effect of:

"Belay that! I messaged the wrong seller. Sorry for the inconvenience. Best, Knitterly"

and then send your questions to the right person. Stuff like this happens literally all the time. It's no big deal.

Zizi-K

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 02:24:41 PM »
Then you'd best disabuse the seller of the idea quickly so the celebration doesn't go on too long.

Goosey

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 03:13:08 PM »
"I'm sorry, but I'm looking for a bit more variety, so I've decided to go with a different seller. Thanks so much for your time!"

Joeschmo

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 04:48:50 PM »
"I'm sorry for any confusion my message was intended for a different seller."  No fuss no muss.

EMuir

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 04:51:53 PM »
I read that subject as "massaged".  Now THAT would be embarrassing. ;)

Knitterly

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 09:09:21 PM »
Thanks all.  I just didn't know how to phrase it, since I had actually flat out promised a sale to the wrong person.

What I ended up writing was
Oh dear. You're probably reading this conversation going "I don't have any [item]".
I'd meant to send this message to another seller with a similar shop name. I had both shops open at once and thought I was messaging someone else.  I am so sorry for the confusion.

I expect it's neither the first nor the last time someone will stumble across her shop thinking it's the other shop.  They are separated by literally two letters and they sell basically the same thing.

I did contact the seller I meant to, and she was lovely to deal with.  I did not hear back from the first seller, and I do hope I didn't ruin her day too badly. :(