Author Topic: The kitchen sink  (Read 8048 times)

Alias

The kitchen sink
« on: August 13, 2013, 09:06:31 AM »
This is one of those little things that my parents said to me when I was a kid, but I never entirely understood. Just a rule and how things are, but I didn't at the time get 'why'.  One quick short question...

Is it ok to spit in the kitchen sink? Why or why not?

ETA I'm talking about your own kitchen sink.  Definitely not in someone else's!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:13:10 AM by Alias »

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: The kitchen sink
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:09:04 AM »
like many things, it depends. I think if its your own sink, its fine. Presumeably it gets cleaned, so any germs would be taken care of. And if no one sees you, then no one knows.

At someone else's home, no. Even if they do it, no. It's just gros

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 09:11:32 AM »
Eh. Is it okay to spit into someone else's kitchen sink? No. Is it okay to spit into your own (assuming you wash it out before you clean veggies in it or whatever?) I think so. Some families have many people and one bathroom and need to use the kitchen sink sometimes for things like brushing teeth. Sometimes you get something gross in your mouth and need to rinse it out. If dishes go into the sink for washing after meals, there's spit in there (on forks etc) along with bits of uneaten food etc, and the point of washing the dishes is to get them clean, so...

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 09:13:20 AM »
I don't think so. If you have to, spit into to toilet and flush it.

MrTango

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 09:19:32 AM »
I don't see why it wouldn't be okay.  If we're talking about my kitchen sink, then it's mine to use however I wish.

bloo

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 09:49:27 AM »
I don't see why it wouldn't be okay.  If we're talking about my kitchen sink, then it's mine to use however I wish.

I agree.

I have one bathroom in a house with 4 people (2 adults, a 17 yo and 15 yo). My kids and I occasionally brush our teeth at the kitchen sink if the bathroom is tied up when we need to brush. Which requires spitting. The other option is to brush outside hovering near the hose/outdoor spigot I suppose?

I wouldn't clean a toilet brush or shoes off in my kitchen sink (although the sink could presumably be cleaned after those activities as well) because THAT squicks me out.

CaffeineKatie

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 09:51:54 AM »
Are we talking "ew, there's something nasty in this salad I need to spit out quickly" or "I've got a wad of chewing tobacco and need to spit"?  I'd think the former is acceptable IF you rinse the sink out after you do so.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 10:08:05 AM »

I agree.  I find it pretty gross to do so but I find spitting, in general, pretty gross.  I don't understand why many men find it necessary to spit as they are walking down the sidewalk?  I've never understood it.    ???

As a result, I've never allowed my sons to do it so they don't have that ugly habit. Thank goodness!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 10:12:43 AM »

I sure hope so! w/ my cough, I find myself doing it from time to time, bcs the kitchen sink is closer than the bathroom. Believe me, lots worse germs go in there, and the sink gets washed before anything edible goes in it anyway.

I do think it's rude to spit in front of other people (though in my own home, as long as the other person isn't in the room, I don't worry about it too much--it's  medical thing, and they're my family, so they're going to see it from time to time).

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 10:15:17 AM »
You can do whatever you want with your own sink, but please consider the feelings and wishes of the rest of the family.  If you live alone, anything goes ;D.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 10:16:31 AM »
I'd never spit in someone else's sink. In our home I prefer that everybody use a bathroom sink, tissue or trash can, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. My main concern would be germs and dishes but I always clean the sink well before I hand wash anything so it's probably not as germy as my "ick factor" response wants to think.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 10:17:08 AM »

Exactly. Plus, much germier things get put down the kitchen sink anyways.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 10:19:38 AM »

I agree.  I find it pretty gross to do so but I find spitting, in general, pretty gross.  I don't understand why many men find it necessary to spit as they are walking down the sidewalk?  I've never understood it.    ???

As a result, I've never allowed my sons to do it so they don't have that ugly habit. Thank goodness!

I worked at a women's college for a number of years. In about my third year there, I finally realized a wonderful thing that I had come to take for granted on our campus--there was almost never a loogie on the sidewalk!  ;D

Redsoil

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 10:21:39 AM »
The dishes get washed in the sink here, so for me it's a "no spitting" zone.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

oogyda

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 01:23:10 PM »
Any member of my family and most people who visit on a regular basis may spit in my kitchen sink if they need to.  All I ask is that you rinse it down when you're done.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.