Author Topic: The kitchen sink  (Read 8015 times)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Re: The kitchen sink
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 01:26:57 PM »
Dirty dishes are put there, so I'd have no problem with spit. 
When I, rarely, hand wash dishes, I wash the sink first. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 01:45:47 PM »
I rinse the sink out before doing dishes.

I've been known to rinse out the bathroom sink before and after brushing my teeth, too.

Just to be on the safe side.....and gum gets spit into the trash can (which is lined with a plastic bag), not a sink.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

cwm

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 02:12:26 PM »
I wouldn't see anything weird about spitting into my own kitchen sink so long as it didn't bother any roommates/housemates/guests, but I would never dream of doing it at someone else's house. The only exception might be brushing teeth if the bathroom sink is otherwise occupied or broken, but that isn't likely to happen too often when I travel.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 04:06:50 PM »
I don't think so. If you have to, spit into to toilet and flush it.
I agree with this and would add, or the basin in the bathroom or the laundry room tray.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 04:43:03 PM »
Considering your flatware has spit on it from being in your mouth, having spit in the sink doesn't really bother me.  I'm always rinsing out the sink well before I do dishes, anyway.

I've brushed my teeth at kitchen sinks before when there has been a shortage of bathrooms; I've always asked first, though, if it isn't my home.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Eeep!

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 06:56:47 PM »
Considering your flatware has spit on it from being in your mouth, having spit in the sink doesn't really bother me.  I'm always rinsing out the sink well before I do dishes, anyway.

I've brushed my teeth at kitchen sinks before when there has been a shortage of bathrooms; I've always asked first, though, if it isn't my home.

This is where I fall too.  I love threads like this because it honestly wouldn't have occurred to me that people would think otherwise! (Not that I would ever spit in some one else's sink, mind you. But that's more because I generally think spitting in front of other people is rude, not because of the whole kitchen sink factor.)
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 07:39:13 PM »
Honestly, if people eat in a way that leave globs of saliva/mu,us on their silverwear then I think they probably need to polish their manners there, as well.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 08:12:12 PM »
Eating doesn't normally leave visible saliva on my plate or silverware, but it does expose a fork or spoon to the same bacteria as might be in the saliva. So rinsing the kitchen sink afterwards makes sense, but I wouldn't make a big deal of it.

That said, what I would do with my own sink and what I'd do with a friend's is different.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 09:53:07 PM »
I agree with this and would add, or the basin in the bathroom or the laundry room tray.

What is that?

The kitchen sink has a drain. Anything you spit into it can be easily washed away.

If you don't want people to spit into YOUR kitchen sink, that's perfectly fine.
But  you don't get to decide what I do in mine.

And as someone who *does* need to spit now and then--I'm not leaning over a fecal-matter-tainted TOILET to do so.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 10:34:27 PM »
I consider the kitchen sink contaminated anyway, as everything gets thrown in there...the dripping wrappings from raw chicken (before it gets thrown in the garbage), the rinsing water of any raw meat or fish, the cloth that was used to wipe the bird cage, the cat food bowl, etc, etc. Spit is the least of my worries, although if you're going to brush your teeth in the sink, I'd expect a perfunctory rinse with water so that I don't see gobs of toothpasty spit. I recognize the kitchen sink as germy and gross (even if it looks clean - bacteria are very, very small) and if I am going to use it for something else I scrub it first.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 11:23:25 PM »

What is that?

The kitchen sink has a drain. Anything you spit into it can be easily washed away.

And as someone who *does* need to spit now and then--I'm not leaning over a fecal-matter-tainted TOILET to do so.

Toots, you said everything I was wanting to - from the question about a laundry tray (?) to the spitting in my own sink's being just fine.

Allyson

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 01:15:31 AM »
Sure. Just don't spit directly on dishes someone else has to then wash, and rinse the sink out afterwards so nobody else needs to look at it in there, and it's good.

I think this is one of those things that can be 'gross' but isn't actually unhygienic (thinking about everything else that goes in there.) But, gross can still be a problem so people should be as discreet as they can.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 02:59:48 AM »

What is that?

It's the tray in your laundry room where the washing machine empties, where you wash your hands or brush your teeth if you have no bathroom basin, bathe the dog, place your draining plants after you water them, wash your hair if it reaches below your hips...stuff like that.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 04:42:43 AM »
Generally, the sink in the kitchen is for things related to food preparation and not personal waste.

Bathrooms are where you discharge your personal waste and where you wash your hands after doing so.

While both kitchens and bathrooms are germy, there are differences between the germs one finds on food and the germs that we harbor in our bodies.

Also a bathroom offers some privacy for an act that is really kind of gross.

Alias

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2013, 05:03:05 AM »
Thanks for all the replies! I thought it was one of them personal opinion things, and not a hard and fast rule, but I thought it'd be interesting to check!

It came up when I was a teen at home.  For some reason I spit in the kitchen sink at home and my parents both got very squicked out about it.  I didn't see a problem though (obviously) but wasn't the sort to fight the rules :)  I've long ago moved out though, and will use the side/half sink (where I do all the messier rinsing and put food bits - generally accepted as not a place we put clean things) in my current house to spit if the need arises.  And every time I do it I remember my parents telling me not to...

Like some here I consider the kitchen sink a germy place and wouldn't ever put clean food, containers or dishes in it without a cleaning first!