Author Topic: The kitchen sink  (Read 6311 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: The kitchen sink
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2013, 10:22:53 AM »
It's the tray in your laundry room where the washing machine empties, where you wash your hands or brush your teeth if you have no bathroom basin, bathe the dog, place your draining plants after you water them, wash your hair if it reaches below your hips...stuff like that.
[/quote]

You can bathe the dog there? wash your hair? I've never, ever seen anything like that in any of the U.S. home laundry setups. Usually the washing machine is directly hooked to a drain pipe of some sort.

My apartment building used to have the washers empty into the slop sink, but when we had things tweaked, our plumber insisted we eliminate that and hook up directly to the drain pipe.

The only "tray" I've ever seen in a laundry room is the overflow tray on the floor, which is about the size of the washer.

Are you in the U.S.?

And sorry, I'm not walking all the way to the washing machine (basement, maybe?) to spit, should I find myself needing to.

Alias, I think your parents' reaction was one of those "this grosses me out" reactions, not some universal rule of Etiquette. (except that I'd say Etiquette would tell you not to spit in someone ELSE's kitchen sink, and in fact to not spit in front of other people in general)

There isn't any logical reason not to do it in your own kitchen. But if it squicks someone out, that's OK too--but they shouldn't act as though their own personal reaction indicates anything about the world in general.

Goosey

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2013, 10:36:02 AM »
There's one in my house (we call it a Sep-Tub) and it's fairly new (2009). So, they do exist in the US.

I would never spit in front of someone else. If I absolutely need to, I would go to the restroom for some privacy and spit in the bathroom sink. But, at your house, with no one else to disturb? Who cares?  :P

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2013, 12:57:49 PM »
The dishes get washed in the sink here, so for me it's a "no spitting" zone.

I'm sorry, but I find this confusing. Do you not wash dishes that have spit on them? Forks and glasses? What's the difference?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

oogyda

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2013, 03:04:38 PM »

I'm sorry, but I find this confusing. Do you not wash dishes that have spit on them? Forks and glasses? What's the difference?

Yeah, I'm confused about that one, too.  Presumably, the dishes would be washed in hot, soapy water.  I don't think the average sized spit...with or without loogie....is powerful enough to overwhelm that. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

snappylt

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2013, 03:27:54 PM »
Never thought I'd be writing a post about spit, but here goes: My own opinion is that it "feels" gross to me to spit in the kitchen sink.  It doesn't bother me to spit into the bathroom sink, as long as the spit residue is washed down the drain (and not left in the sink for others to look at).

I suppose spitting into the toilet is OK... but isn't that a waste of water to flush the toilet for just some spit?  (I'm thinking there'd be less water used to briefly wash the spit down the bathroom sink.)

Audrey Quest

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2013, 03:58:17 PM »

Big difference between something that has traces of saliva on it and a glob of spit. Yucky!  No one wants to see a glob of spit or see someone spitting.

MrTango

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2013, 04:11:50 PM »

Big difference between something that has traces of saliva on it and a glob of spit. Yucky!  No one wants to see a glob of spit or see someone spitting.

I'd be careful with generalizing this way.  There are many people who don't really care if someone spits on the ground outside or into a sink.

Audrey Quest

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2013, 04:38:50 PM »

I'd be careful with generalizing this way.  There are many people who don't really care if someone spits on the ground outside or into a sink.

Spitting is not polite social behavior.

I've gotten out of my car in a parking lot, opened my door and right next to me on the ground is someone globs of spit.  It's rude.

The way to get rid of spit is to use a tissue or handkerchief.

It's not just about germs.  I expect that the ground is already germy.  Still doesn't mean that I would like to have someone's bubbling glob on the underside of my shoe or on any dish that I have to wash in my sink.

I suspect that the OP was told not to spit in the sink because mom didn't want to see that kind of behavior or have globs of spit in her sink.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2013, 05:43:35 PM »
My sink? In my own home? Heck, I can spit in the sink, dance nekkid on the table, and bathe little tiny puppy dogs in the toilet, and it's not any of etiquette's business.  :P That said, I don't.

I've seen those laundy room sinks, if I'm thinking of the right thing, although I've never heard it called a tray. Utility sinks, I've heard them called. They're usually exta wide and deep, and great for really dirty stuff or heavy duty jobs, like scrubbing paint off of things or the dog. I wish I had one in my current house.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2013, 07:12:49 PM »
My sink? In my own home? Heck, I can spit in the sink, dance nekkid on the table, and bathe little tiny puppy dogs in the toilet, and it's not any of etiquette's business.  :P

My thoughts exactly.

I've seen those laundy room sinks, if I'm thinking of the right thing, although I've never heard it called a tray. Utility sinks, I've heard them called. They're usually exta wide and deep, and great for really dirty stuff or heavy duty jobs, like scrubbing paint off of things or the dog. I wish I had one in my current house.

My parents have a sink in their laundry room.  I've never heard it called a tray; it's an actual sink.  I guess it's kinda deeper than other sinks.  Never really thought about it.  I brush my teeth in there when I'm at their house.  It's right off their bedroom/closet, so it's where I keep my stuff when I go there.

CluelessBride

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2013, 07:16:10 PM »

Why wouldn't someone spitting in the kitchen sink wash it out like they would a bathroom sink?  A sink is a sink is a sink. I agree that watching someone spitting isn't the highlight of my day, but that becomes about people watching you spit - not where you are spitting.

When I have a sore throat, I like to gargle (and then spit) warm salt water. Of course it is possible to go to the kitchen, make my salt water, go to the bathroom, gargle, spit, rinse the sink and then return to the kitchen to wash my glass. But it is so much simpler to just spit in the sink and then rinse the kitchen sink. I can think of other times where it also makes more sense to use the kitchen sink. So I don't think spitting in the sink is an etiquette issue at all - more of a person who owns the sink makes the rules situation (if someone wants to outlaw spitting in their kitchen sink, fine - but its not rude for someone else to use theirs differently).

As for spitting in front of people or leaving globs of spit laying around, I do think that is rude - whether its the bathroom sink, kitchen sink, or parking lot. Although I do think there are different rules for close family members (I would gargle in front of DH, but not in front of guests). But that's a different issue entirely.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2013, 07:16:51 PM »
I don't think so. If you have to, spit into to toilet and flush it.
I agree with this and would add, or the basin in the bathroom or the laundry room tray.

What is that?

The kitchen sink has a drain. Anything you spit into it can be easily washed away.

If you don't want people to spit into YOUR kitchen sink, that's perfectly fine.
But  you don't get to decide what I do in mine.

And as someone who *does* need to spit now and then--I'm not leaning over a fecal-matter-tainted TOILET to do so.
It's the tray in your laundry room where the washing machine empties, where you wash your hands or brush your teeth if you have no bathroom basin, bathe the dog, place your draining plants after you water them, wash your hair if it reaches below your hips...stuff like that.

My laundry room has no tray - I've never seen one - granted, most of the houses that I have lived in were on a cement slab foundation - but the two that weren't still didn't have a tray of any kind under the washing machine.  There have been trays of some kind under the water heaters, though - if they weren't on a cement slab foundation.

We have had one laundry room with a deep plastic laundry "sink" in it - but the washing machine emptied into a drain pipe in the wall - not the laundry sink.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:19:44 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2013, 09:18:48 PM »

You can bathe the dog there? wash your hair? I've never, ever seen anything like that in any of the U.S. home laundry setups. Usually the washing machine is directly hooked to a drain pipe of some sort.

My apartment building used to have the washers empty into the slop sink, but when we had things tweaked, our plumber insisted we eliminate that and hook up directly to the drain pipe.

The only "tray" I've ever seen in a laundry room is the overflow tray on the floor, which is about the size of the washer.

Are you in the U.S.?

And sorry, I'm not walking all the way to the washing machine (basement, maybe?) to spit, should I find myself needing to.

Alias, I think your parents' reaction was one of those "this grosses me out" reactions, not some universal rule of Etiquette. (except that I'd say Etiquette would tell you not to spit in someone ELSE's kitchen sink, and in fact to not spit in front of other people in general)

There isn't any logical reason not to do it in your own kitchen. But if it squicks someone out, that's OK too--but they shouldn't act as though their own personal reaction indicates anything about the world in general.
[/quote]
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://img.tfd.com/architecture/f0578-01.png&imgrefurl=http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/laundry%2Btub&h=300&w=268&sz=17&tbnid=1OQVNW8F7QdC0M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=80&zoom=1&usg=__03vWZEnEhJJU-kThCGDpOw_4S1o=&docid=xS9HwIXwR2ZBeM&sa=X&ei=GycMUrHqMIWCyQGkyoGgCQ&ved=0CFMQ9QEwAA&dur=4974
I'm in the US and have never lived in a house without an laundry tray, which is in the laundry room (or wash room, as we usually call it). Our machine drains into the tray with a large hard rubber drain hose that has a big bend it (the bend sits on the edge of the tray).  I thought everyone had these.
I had one that appeared to be out of cement once, but the one I have now is fiberglass, on a wooden stand.  I love it.  Someone said they wish they had one.  I am so glad that I do.  I use it for so much stuff. 
I've only lived in an apartment once and had no laundry facilities at all.  Otherwise I've lived in houses with the wash room off of the kitchen.  Just goes to show the assumptions we make about how other people live.  I don't think it's a rural west coast thing, or is it?  I'm feeling kind of quaint, right now.  :P
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:27:49 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2013, 09:24:16 PM »
Other places have them, though the washer doesn't always empty into them. I think they commonly go by "utility sink" around here. Calling them "tray" instead of "sink" does seem a nit unusual.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2013, 09:30:04 PM »
Other places have them, though the washer doesn't always empty into them. I think they commonly go by "utility sink" around here. Calling them "tray" instead of "sink" does seem a nit unusual.
We've always called them trays.  Maybe it is kind of regional.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.