Author Topic: The kitchen sink  (Read 9005 times)

StarFaerie

Re: The kitchen sink
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2013, 11:01:45 PM »
Other places have them, though the washer doesn't always empty into them. I think they commonly go by "utility sink" around here. Calling them "tray" instead of "sink" does seem a nit unusual.
We've always called them trays.  Maybe it is kind of regional.

I call them the laundry sink or the laundry tub. (Australia) Mine has a cupboard underneath it but I've seen ones like that too. My washing machine drains into a hole in the side of the top of it which then connects to the pipe just underneath the tub.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2013, 11:28:49 PM »
I've never seen such a thing.

What I described above at my parents' is an actual sink - like a porcelain one like you'd find in the kitchen. Just in the laundry room.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2013, 11:35:27 PM »

What I described above at my parents' is an actual sink - like a porcelain one like you'd find in the kitchen. Just in the laundry room.
They are so handy.  I can't imagine not having one in the house.  They're big and deep so that you can use them for things you cannot do in a regular sink. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

StarFaerie

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2013, 03:19:32 AM »

I don't think I've ever seen a porcelain kitchen sink, only stainless steel or acrylic. Are they common in the US? Are they prone to chipping?

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2013, 04:12:29 AM »

I don't think I've ever seen a porcelain kitchen sink, only stainless steel or acrylic. Are they common in the US? Are they prone to chipping?
They probably used to be more common, but noiw I doubt it.  I actually have a porcelain sink in the kitchen.  Its about 18 inches wide, by 30 inches long and 6 inches deep.  It was installed in the late 1940's and was probably second hand then. There is another identical one in the house and it was put in, gosh, who knows.  Maybe in the 20's or 30's.  It needs to be re-porcelained.  That's how old it is...the finish is wearing off.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2013, 04:15:48 AM »
This is one of those little things that my parents said to me when I was a kid, but I never entirely understood. Just a rule and how things are, but I didn't at the time get 'why'.  One quick short question...

Is it ok to spit in the kitchen sink? Why or why not?

ETA I'm talking about your own kitchen sink.  Definitely not in someone else's!
I'm sorry, Alias.  I think I am guilty of getting your thread off topic.  It's just so interesting to me where this went into the realm of sinks and trays.  I'll stop now and open a thread in coffee break about stuff in people's houses. 

Alias

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2013, 06:07:40 AM »
This is one of those little things that my parents said to me when I was a kid, but I never entirely understood. Just a rule and how things are, but I didn't at the time get 'why'.  One quick short question...

Is it ok to spit in the kitchen sink? Why or why not?

ETA I'm talking about your own kitchen sink.  Definitely not in someone else's!
I'm sorry, Alias.  I think I am guilty of getting your thread off topic.  It's just so interesting to me where this went into the realm of sinks and trays.  I'll stop now and open a thread in coffee break about stuff in people's houses.

I'm not at all concerned, I found it interesting as well.  When I lived in Canada we had a 'utility sink' which is what you're talking about.  I haven't seen one in Europe, but over here clothes washers tend to be in kitchens and basements aren't common.

AuntyEm

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2013, 08:04:10 AM »
I totally agree with Audrey Quest.  Absent a medical emergency, I think the kitchen sink should be reserved for food related activities and bathroom sinks reserved for bodily waste/hygiene matters.   I would not use a bathroom sink for preparing food or washing dishes unless the one in the kitchen was not working and only after scrubbing it.  Once, while waiting to use the restroom in a restaurant, I heard someone blow their nose into the bathroom sink and I gag just thinking about it.

I would be completely grossed out if someone spit into my kitchen sink and don't want to know if someone is spitting into theirs.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2013, 09:12:59 AM »
It is amazing how engrained some things can be.  I remember once being in bed very sick.  I had a trash can with a trash bag in it next to my bed.  I had to spit.  I rushed out of bed to spit in the toilet.  Once there I realized how silly that was.  I was prepared to vomit in the trash can, but I leaped out of bed for spit. 

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2013, 01:05:06 PM »

No chipping.  Of course, Mom is careful about not banging stuff around in there.  They had the house built about 9 years ago.  They chose what kinds of sinks they wanted in there (they chose everything in the house - it's their dream house).  The only stainless steel sinks I've come across have been in the apartments I've lived in.  None of the actual houses have had them.  I've always associated those kinds with more of a rental type of situation.  I didn't realize people had them in their actual houses, too.  Do you have them there as well?

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2013, 07:43:26 PM »
I was going to say that in my house spitting is determined by what is closest but that doesn't sound very good does it?  ;D

What I mean is, if I am in the kitchen and need to spit I'm not going to hold my phlegm in my mouth and walk to the bathroom.
Actually, I would spit in the toilet before the bathroom sink because the sink has a small covered drain and is the hardest option to clean/sanitize after spitting.
I prefer to spit in the kitchen sink for several logistical reasons : it is higher/closer than the toilet, the faucet is high/thinner and out of the way and it has a very large open drain (we keep the plug mechanism out unless washing dishes) so I can spit directly into the drainpipe without getting anything in the sink.

I only really find myself needing to spit when I am coughing up gunk from a cold.

Lol, I can't believe I just typed what I typed. I have never given this kind of thing so much thought! Just another reason to love this forum I guess!  ;) ;D
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

oogyda

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2013, 07:45:51 PM »
I'm in the US and I'll take a stainless sink every time! 

Porcelain is pretty, but not durable in practical everyday use.  Even if it doesn't chip, I've never seen one that didn't develop hairline cracks.  They don't look too bad with regular use of bleach, but I hate to think of what might be living in those cracks. 

Acrylic?  Ugh!  They scratch and stain too easily.  That was the first thing I replaced in our last home. 

It might just be me being too "rough" with my sinks?  But, that's one thing I shouldn't have to be careful with and I don't with stainless. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2013, 08:38:43 PM »
Porcelain is pretty, but not durable in practical everyday use.  Even if it doesn't chip, I've never seen one that didn't develop hairline cracks.  They don't look too bad with regular use of bleach, but I hate to think of what might be living in those cracks. 

Hmmmm....not a crack, chip or any other damage on my parents' sinks.  And they're 9 or more years old.  As I said, they know not to bang things around.  And I'd take their sinks over a stainless any day.  The things are incredibly spotless and clean.  Doesn't even take that much cleaning to keep them that way.  No more than would be needed elsewhere.*

I guess it's just how you treat them.

Stainless always looks dirty to me.  I have that in my apartment, and I hate it.  I've never seen a stainless steel sink that looks clean to me.  Even my own.  If I could trade it in for something better, I would.  Stainless steel is a more utilitarian material.  It's not what I consider a nice sink.

* I'm assuming you didn't intend for that to come across as a dig at my parents' sinks in that my parents would be harboring dangerous bacteria in their home that way?  Because it did come across that way and rubbed me wrong.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 08:53:27 PM by DottyG »

oogyda

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2013, 09:50:09 PM »
Dotty, I was not making a dig at your parents' sinks.  I was stating an opinion based on personal experience.  I'm glad their sinks have held up so well.

Stainless always looks dirty to me.  I have that in my apartment, and I hate it.  I've never seen a stainless steel sink that looks clean to me.  Even my own.  If I could trade it in for something better, I would.  Stainless steel is a more utilitarian material.  It's not what I consider a nice sink.

I'm assuming you did not intend for that to come across as a dig at what my sinks look like.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2013, 10:16:06 PM »
Nope. Stating an opinion based on personal experience. And, since I said it's what I have myself, it's one I have first-hand.