Author Topic: The kitchen sink  (Read 8586 times)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
Re: The kitchen sink
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2013, 10:28:20 PM »
I've read that kitchen sinks are one of the dirtiest places in the typical home. Anything dish that goes in my sink gets washed before it exits. If I set a spoon in there and realize I still needed it, I get a clean spoon. I don't see how spit could be any germier than dirt from my vegetables and eggs, spoiled milk that I have to pour out, etc. All this is to say, spit in my kitchen sink doesn't bother me. If somebody had to hock a loogie, I'd ask them to go the bathroom since I hate that sound. If somebody ate or drank something vile or there were too many people in the house and they wanted to brush their teeth, go for it.

miranova

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2013, 11:48:59 PM »
If someone is doing something in their own home where no one can see at all, it can not possibly be rude since no one is adversely affected.

However, add me to the list that NEVER wants to actually SEE someone spit....anywhere.  I think it should be a private activity, and the kitchen is not private enough.  That's why I think the bathroom sink is better.  Not because of hygiene but because it's a more private location for something that most people probably don't want to witness.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2013, 02:49:27 PM »
For me it's not about sinks being germy, doesn't matter.  It's about manners.  It's bad manners to spit in public and like miranova said, the kitchen isn't a private place within the household.  So again, for me, it doesn't matter that spitting in a sink doesn't make the sink any germier. 

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2013, 03:14:43 PM »
For me it's not about sinks being germy, doesn't matter.  It's about manners.  It's bad manners to spit in public and like miranova said, the kitchen isn't a private place within the household.  So again, for me, it doesn't matter that spitting in a sink doesn't make the sink any germier. 

What if you're the only one in the kitchen at the time? Either because you live alone or the rest of the family isn't in the room?

magicdomino

« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2013, 03:53:25 PM »
I hereby confess to using a neti pot over the kitchen sink.  (1)  The salt and the measuring cup are already there, as is the dish soap.  (2)  The bathroom sink is tiny, increasing the odds of, um, spillage.  (3)  It's just the cats and I, and the cats don't care.  (4)  Saliva can't be any more germy than chicken blood.  That said, I would never, ever spit in someone else's kitchen sink.

The original kitchen sink was porcelain.  Years of scrubbing with Comet removed the glaze, leaving it prone to staining, which meant more Comet or Clorox, which removed more glaze . . .   :P Current sink is stainless steel.  I must say, the dishwasher makes a lot more noise with the stainless, perhaps because the shape and material amplifies the sound of draining water.

Original utility sink ("tray" threw me too) was a huge double sink made out of concrete.  I have no idea how my parents got it in the basement.  When the skinny little iron legs rusted and bent, cracking the sink and breaking the drainpipe, it took a sledgehammer to break it into portable chunks.    Current utility sink is a cheap plastic thing.  Someday when I finish the laundry room, I'm gong to see if a professional plumbing supply has something less flimsy.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2013, 04:10:11 PM »

What if you're the only one in the kitchen at the time? Either because you live alone or the rest of the family isn't in the room?

If you live alone, who cares.  The whole house belongs to just you.  But if you are part of a family or have roommates, then even if you are alone at the time, I'd still say it was bad manners.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2013, 04:56:22 PM »

But if you are part of a family or have roommates, then even if you are alone at the time, I'd still say it was bad manners.

Why?  (I'm not arguing with you - I'm just trying to understand completely.)  If no one is in the room with you, you're not "in public" anymore.  So why would it still be rude?

(My "what if you live alone" question was directed more at the people who have taken a "it's always wrong" type of stance.  I was wondering why they felt that way.  Or if I was just misunderstanding them and they don't see a problem with it in a one person home.)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:00:54 PM by DottyG »

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2013, 05:25:11 PM »
It's still "public" property. Other people will use the sink besides you.  And you don't have to agree but this is how I view it.  In my book, it's bad manners.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2013, 05:56:42 PM »
It's still "public" property. Other people will use the sink besides you.  And you don't have to agree but this is how I view it.  In my book, it's bad manners.

As I said, I wasn't arguing with you.  I was just trying to better understand your perspective.

miranova

« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2013, 09:05:17 PM »
For me, it's because much like bathroom activities, it's bad manners to even risk someone else walking in and seeing it.  As I said, if no one else lives with you, can't be rude since it doesn't affect anyone.  But if anyone else could possibly walk in, I think it's bad manners because spitting should be done where no one else has to watch it.