Author Topic: Etiquette of interrupting a phone call  (Read 2406 times)

That Anime Chick

• Rumble Ball!
Re: Etiquette of interrupting a phone call
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 05:44:46 PM »
A quasi-friend has a bad habit of talking to other people while she’s on the phone with me.  She gives no warning that she’s going to address someone else, so it seems like she’s speaking to me, but making no sense, and when I go “what?”, she snipes, “I wasn’t talking to you”.

Yesterday I reached my limit.  As soon as she said, “I wasn’t talking to you”, I said “Then I’ll catch you later” and hung up.  Before the connection ended, I could hear her starting to sputter.

I think it will be necessary for me to discuss this behavior with her in order to curtail it. I’ve made up a list of rules and would like ehell feedback.

1. Speaking to Person2 while you’re on the phone with Person1 should be done rarely and only for good reason.

2. The interruption should be announced with a statement like “Excuse me for a second” or “Hold on a sec”.

3. To avoid confusion, the interrupting conversation should be addressed by name to the person it’s intended for.  Example: “Mom, you forgot your keys”. 

4. When talking to another person, the caller should cover the mouthpiece of the phone or hold the phone away from her mouth.

5. The interruption should last no longer than a few seconds.  If more time is needed, the call should be politely ended.

6. Upon returning to the call, the caller should briefly apologize – something as simple as “sorry about that”. 

Suggestions?  Opinions?

Ah, you've met my sister. She does this all the time, usually when talking to me and my BIL is in the room. She also talks on the phone while the TV is up at a volume that I can hear what she's watching. I'd always been taught to either leave the room or mute/turn off the TV when talking to someone on the phone. Yes, she is socially clueless.
http://tinyurl.com/5vuusz Thanks for helping my cute lil dragon grow up. Please help my hatchlings and egg? Please?? ^_^

Mikayla

Re: Etiquette of interrupting a phone call
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2013, 01:51:38 PM »

Don't *state* your boundaries; live them.

I did a modified version of this with my sister, who talks to others, and also takes calls from others (making sure to explain who it is and why it's more important than me). 

Obviously, there was humor involved here, but I told her her phone etiquette was atrocious and the next time she annoyed me, I'd hang up.  And I did.  And I do.