General Etiquette > Etiquette of the Rich and Famous

Oprah Winfrey claims sales assistant refused to let her see a handbag

<< < (2/25) > >>

Sharnita:
I am not sure. The store sounds elitist but there are people who want to shop in that kind of environment. They don't want to buy a purse that Sharnita A. Middleclass has put her hands on so they do want management to be selective about who gets their hands on the bag.

I kind of doubt Oprah would have objected had they recognized her as the elite but declined to show it to me after (correctly) recognizing me as one of the common folk.

Hmmmmm:
I read the clerks version and it seems plausible.

I've had clerks and others let me know one item is a better value over a different one, which is what the clerk claims she was trying to do.

But with limited English I can see it being misinterpreted.

My DD and I were at a place last year and a clerk with limited English skills kept telling us "No, No, this one better for you." We were looking at some handmade jewlry and she was trying to indicate the quality of the stone was better in a different one over the one we initially was looking at.

Sharnita:
I'm not saying it as an insult. The fact of the matyer is that she patronizes a lot of places and products that "regular" people can't afford. The fact that those places and items are exclusive and elitist haven't stopped her from being customer, any.more than it has stopped the rezt of the.rich.and famous. I don't actually object to that but it seems silly not to ackowledge that she is a part of it herself. The big sin on the store clerk's part wad the failure to recognize her as part of the elite.

Yvaine:

--- Quote from: Sharnita on August 13, 2013, 09:17:37 PM ---I'm not saying it as an insult. The fact of the matyer is that she patronizes a lot of places and products that "regular" people can't afford. The fact that those places and items are exclusive and elitist haven't stopped her from being customer, any.more than it has stopped the rezt of the.rich.and famous. I don't actually object to that but it seems silly not to ackowledge that she is a part of it herself. The big sin on the store clerk's part wad the failure to recognize her as part of the elite.

--- End quote ---

There's a pretty big difference between:

(a) "This place is expensive, so most of the people who go there are wealthy; people who aren't rich mostly don't bother."

(b) "This place actively does not want anyone middle-class or lower to even touch the merchandise, AND Oprah likes it that way."

Sharnita:
I think that in certain cases she and a lot of the very wealthy are. When you want Hermes to open for you, when you are looking at a $40,000 purse and considering buying it, there is a bot of elitism there. You certainly don't believe or expect everyone can or will get that accesd. You are enjoying special treatment your money/fame/status afford you. Does that mean she or they do it 24/7? No.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version