Author Topic: Oprah Winfrey claims sales assistant refused to let her see a handbag  (Read 13242 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Oprah Winfrey claims sales assistant refused to let her see a handbag
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2013, 03:35:06 PM »
racism is not always overt and in your face.  It can be a tone, a comment, a look, a feeling, etc. 

goldilocks

« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2013, 03:43:54 PM »
This reminded me of something that happened here years ago.  A famous actress wanted to move to my town (she had grown up here), and chose a house in a community that was so exclusive the existing owners actually had to vote before you were allowed to buy your house.

She was not voted in.  The reasons given had to do with their fear of "hollywood" types invading the neighborhood.

Anyway, I found it ironic that she wanted to move into a community that was so exclusive they could bar any potential neighbors, and then was upset when she was the one barred.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2013, 03:49:38 PM »
This reminded me of something that happened here years ago.  A famous actress wanted to move to my town (she had grown up here), and chose a house in a community that was so exclusive the existing owners actually had to vote before you were allowed to buy your house.

She was not voted in.  The reasons given had to do with their fear of "hollywood" types invading the neighborhood.

Anyway, I found it ironic that she wanted to move into a community that was so exclusive they could bar any potential neighbors, and then was upset when she was the one barred.

From the late, great, Groucho Marx
I sent the club a wire stating, "PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER".
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

turnip

« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2013, 03:58:05 PM »
Okay, maybe the shop was rude.  But racist?  Please.

Agreed. From everything I have seen and heard about this, I am not even sure the shop was rude.  I do think, however, that Oprah did people a major disservice by crying "racism" here.  I do not see that at all, and I think Oprah's actions here diminish the real struggles of people who face actual racism.

Do you honestly think that a black woman born in 1954 in Mississippi to a single teenage mother has a overly-simplistic understanding of racism?   I'm thinking she's seen plenty of all kinds, and is aware that the subtle can be just as damaging as the overt.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2013, 04:03:14 PM »

Agreed. From everything I have seen and heard about this, I am not even sure the shop was rude.  I do think, however, that Oprah did people a major disservice by crying "racism" here.  I do not see that at all, and I think Oprah's actions here diminish the real struggles of people who face actual racism.

Do you honestly think that a black woman born in 1954 in Mississippi to a single teenage mother has a overly-simplistic understanding of racism?   I'm thinking she's seen plenty of all kinds, and is aware that the subtle can be just as damaging as the overt.

I am saying that I don't think this instance was one of racism, unless Pretty Woman was also an instance of racism.

Goosey

« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2013, 04:04:12 PM »
If it happened as Oprah said, it was definitely class-ism.

If she decided that she was the wrong class because she was the wrong color, then definitely racism.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2013, 04:44:58 PM »

I am saying that I don't think this instance was one of racism, unless Pretty Woman was also an instance of racism.
What does Pretty Woman have to do with anything? ???  Oprah is not white nor is she a down on her luck prostitute, at least, I'm pretty sure she's not  ;)

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2013, 04:48:02 PM »
The way I understood the situation, if anything the sales clerk implied that Oprah could not afford the bag.  Not that she was not allowed to see the bag because of her race.  In Pretty Woman, the sales clerk implied the Julia Roberts character could not afford the items in the store.  Not that she was not allowed to shop there because of her race.

I didn't see anything that indicated, to me, that race played a role.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2013, 04:50:07 PM »

I think that it's very easy for someone who is used to experiencing racism to attributes classism, snobbery, and rudeness to racism when it's really just classism, snobbery, and rudeness.  The kind of rudeness that Oprah encountered in that shop is the same kind of rudeness experienced by white people all the time. It's happened to my very white husband.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

padua

« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2013, 05:40:34 PM »
I don't think Americans are the only people who buy really expensive handbags.

I never said or implied that they are the only people who do.

my guess is also along the lines of her receiving this treatment because she's american. i was in switzerland for a couple months right after we started sending troops to iraq and my swiss buddy had to convince a few storekeepers to service me. my buddy didn't seem too put off by it- she said it's their store so they get to decide who to do business with.

on the other hand, who knows?

veronaz

« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2013, 07:00:10 PM »
In Pretty Woman, the sales clerk implied the Julia Roberts character could not afford the items in the store. 

In Pretty Woman the sales clerk was snotty to Julia Roberts because she looked like a prostitute (which is exactly what she was). 

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2013, 07:39:48 PM »
And again, the store was rude IF you believe Oprah's version of events. If you believe the store's version -- "she asked to see a bag, I offered to show her the bag and suggested other similar options" -- then it wasn't rude at all. That's where "I can't stand Oprah" comes in, in whether you believe her story at all or believe she made the entire thing up out of whole cloth in order to tell a "discrimination" story to promote her new movie. Given her history and the very significant fact that she's completely backtracked and doesn't want to talk about it at all as soon as the store disputed her story, I think she made the whole thing up.

Precisely. I am going on my unfortunate and extensive knowledge of prior bad acts on Oprah's part.

I don't just hate Oprah, like an irrational hatred just because it suits my fancy. I don't hate her. I dislike her. There are not many people on this Earth I truly hate. I rather resent the implication by some that I am just on some crazy hate Oprah campaign.

My dislike of her is based on my first-hand knowledge, accounts from co-workers employed by her and friends who bumped in to her around Chicago of how she treats service people or anyone she thinks is beneath her in general.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:41:34 PM by ydpubs »
No matter where you go, there you are...

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2013, 08:51:59 PM »
In Pretty Woman, the sales clerk implied the Julia Roberts character could not afford the items in the store. 

In Pretty Woman the sales clerk was snotty to Julia Roberts because she looked like a prostitute (which is exactly what she was).

I honestly don't think the salesperson in Pretty Woman cared diddly squat what the Julia Roberts character did
to earn her money.  They just didn't think she had the money to buy their clothes, so they were exceedingly rude to her.

Funny how quickly they changed their demeanor toward her when they realized she could have bought anything in the store, though she was STILL a prostitute.  But it was too late.  They had shown themselves for what they were and she was quite happy to spend her (actually his) money elsewhere.

Of course there were plenty of people who didn't like the movie, but for most who watched it whether they liked it or not, that part was nearly universally satisfying.  :)

veronaz

« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2013, 09:11:35 PM »
I honestly don't think the salesperson in Pretty Woman cared diddly squat what the Julia Roberts character did
to earn her money.  They just didn't think she had the money to buy their clothes, so they were exceedingly rude to her.

Vivian/Julia looked and acted tacky.  If she'd pulled several thousand dollars out of her boot they still would have waited on her but with gritted teeth.  (In fact...I'm trying to remember..didn't she thrust a wad of cash and say "Hey, I've got money!" ??)  They didn;t want her near them of their store.

Yes, after the Richard Gere $$ makeover they were nicer.  We all know money talks, to an extent.  But, (to use another analogy) a drug dealer in an Armani suit is still a drug dealer.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2013, 09:39:26 PM »
Btw if anyone's curious about what Oprah was wearing when she went to the store, it sounds like she dressed smartly but not ostentatiously.

'I was the only person in the store. I had dressed myself up extra special because I know that things can get very snobby in these kinds of stores.

'The employees first check out what clothes you're wearing. Therefore I chose a Donna Karan outfit - and even washed my hair even. So nobody could mistake me for a homeless person who got lost in the store.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2392778/Oprah-Winfrey-insists-WAS-victim-racism-Swiss-store-nearly-called-Jennifer-Aniston-tell-her.html#ixzz2d84obFC2

“I didn’t have anything that said ‘I have money.’ I wasn’t wearing a diamond stud. I didn’t have a pocketbook. I didn’t wear Louboutin shoes. I didn’t have anything,” said Winfrey on the red carpet. “You should be able to go in a store looking like whatever you look like and say, ‘I’d like to see this.’ That didn’t happen.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/celebrities/oprah-winfrey-expresses-regret-over-media-storm-surrounding-switzerlands-flap/2013/08/13/4d10c496-03fa-11e3-bfc5-406b928603b2_story.html