Author Topic: Gift registry for a housewarming?  (Read 5054 times)

ddawn23

Gift registry for a housewarming?
« on: August 14, 2013, 01:56:11 PM »
I'm in the process of buying my first house, and will be moving out of my parents' house and into my house later this year.  My friends and family are all excited about the milestone and want me to have a party, so I will.  My aunts and grandmother are particularly excited and have been pressuring my mother to have me register.  This seems really over the top to me as I've never even heard of gift registry for anything but marriages and (first) babies.  I don't intend on registering, but I wanted to ask you, wise and varied ehellions:  Gift registry for a first house-- is that even done?

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
Re: Gift registry for a housewarming?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 02:14:16 PM »
I bought my first house 5 years ago, and I had several people ask me where I was registered before my housewarming party. I was shocked, as I had never heard of doing that before. I didn't think it was right, so I never registered. (When people asked, I just said something generic like "my kitchen is blue with sunflowers.") It just seems too gimme to me. Housewarming gifts are more "tokens" than registry-type gifts. I mostly got bottles of wine, with the occasional houseplant or something similar.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 02:24:27 PM »
I've never seen this before, but it doesn't surprise me.  I wouldn't do it either.  Most housewarming gifts I've seen have been gifts of wine, flowers/plants, food or knick knacks.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 02:41:15 PM »
I don't know. I've had people here mention that singles who are never married and thus miss out on the showers and wedding gifts that set up the households of others can have housewarmings. Now, around here housewarmings are not really common but it seems like ateas where they are common, registries might be acceptable.

Shabooty

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 02:42:23 PM »
I thought the purpose of a house warming was to show off your new digs to friends and family.  If I received an invitation with a registry card, I would politely decline.

Coralreef

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 02:43:26 PM »
Registries are getting out of hand!  Next thing you know, you're going to receive a registery request from Staples for changing jobs.   >:(

Never heard of one for a housewarming. 

[/right

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 03:31:33 PM »
Housewarmings are definitely gift-giving occasions in Denmark. To the point that I would be less surprised by somebody not having a wedding registry than by somebody not having a housewarming registry.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Coralreef

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 03:50:22 PM »
Housewarmings are definitely gift-giving occasions in Denmark. To the point that I would be less surprised by somebody not having a wedding registry than by somebody not having a housewarming registry.

With all the regional différences, we'll need a cross-reference table of country/gift-giving so we can be up to date  ;)

[/right

cwm

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »

With all the regional différences, we'll need a cross-reference table of country/gift-giving so we can be up to date  ;)

I like that plan.

Back on topic, I don't consider a housewarming party a gift-giving party at all. I was surprised when I asked my friend to help me move into my apartment and she got me a new necklace as a housewarming gift. It was extremely touching, but I wouldn't dream of expecting things from people. AFAIK, housewarming parties are to show off the new place you have, not to furnish it.

Oh Joy

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 04:04:33 PM »
I would say it isn't done.

However, that doesn't mean that you can't create a Wish List on Amazon to keep track of all of the gazillion things you want to buy (you can even include things that aren't sold on Amazon) for your new digs over the next years as you think of them or research them.   It's kind of a practical idea as you prioritize and shop.  Plus, if Mom or someone asks (now, during the holidays, for your next birthday...), you can tell them how to find it.

Best wishes!

Shea

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 04:48:56 PM »
I thought the purpose of a house warming was to show off your new digs to friends and family.  If I received an invitation with a registry card, I would politely decline.

I agree. When friends move into new places, I usually bring a basket with a loaf of bread, some fancy salt and a bottle of wine, which is what was commonly done for housewarmings where I grew up. Other small things, like houseplants or dishtowels or something, seem normal too, but a registry strikes me as very grabby.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 04:53:30 PM »
I would not appreciate being invited to a housewarming with a registry.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 04:58:49 PM »
OP, I think you should just make up a list for your Aunts and Grandma with a few little things you want or need.

Tea towels, wooden spoons, gravy boat, that kind of thing.  It'll make them happy and you can avoid doing a registry.

Or, you know, what Oh Joy said.   ::) at myself for not reading all the posts.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ddawn23

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 05:25:22 PM »
To be clear, Roe, Shabooty, et al, the registry my aunts and grandmother want would not be public knowledge or something that would be mentioned in the invitations.  Normal registry etiquette would still apply.

Small update: My mom told my aunts and grandmother that instead of registering I'd make up a list of stuff I needed for them, which seemed to appease them, but which I did not agree to.  I think one of the reasons it makes me uncomfortable is that there wasn't this sort of to do made when the other grandkids moved out on their own, however I am also the first grandkid to move out on his/her own without simultaneously getting married.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 05:35:29 PM »
To be clear, Roe, Shabooty, et al, the registry my aunts and grandmother want would not be public knowledge or something that would be mentioned in the invitations.  Normal registry etiquette would still apply.

Small update: My mom told my aunts and grandmother that instead of registering I'd make up a list of stuff I needed for them, which seemed to appease them, but which I did not agree to.  I think one of the reasons it makes me uncomfortable is that there wasn't this sort of to do made when the other grandkids moved out on their own, however I am also the first grandkid to move out on his/her own without simultaneously getting married.

Go ahead and let them do it because it sounds as if they want to do this for you and it'll make them happy.