Author Topic: Daughter's birthday party (she'll be 24)  (Read 2580 times)

hannahmollysmom

Daughter's birthday party (she'll be 24)
« on: August 15, 2013, 02:29:40 AM »
I always throw my daughter a little birthday party Labor Day weekend. (She was born on the 2nd, and yes I was in labor, on Labor day, LOL)

Usually it is a bbq with 12 to 15 people. She is a picky eater, and one of her favorites is Chinese Beef and Broccoli. I thought this year I would throw a Chinese themed party.

Menu ideas:
Beef & Broccoli
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Steamed Rice
Lo Mein
Chinese fried Cabbage
Cucumbers in rice vinegar/sesame seed oil
Fortune Cookies
Cake shaped like a Chinese Take out Box
and of course, Ice Cream

What do you think? (I'm in the US, so am going by American Chinese restaurant offerings.)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Daughter's birthday party (she'll be 24)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 10:25:05 AM »
It sounds delicious and offers a good choice of flavors. 

If I was giving the party, I'd consider substituting cold sesame noodles for the Lo Mein, but that's me. 

Many years ago we prepared several Chinese New Year's banquets.  One menu item that always made a big hit was tea eggs.  These are simply hard boiled eggs with a twist. Once the eggs are boiled and cooled, you simply tap the shells lightly all over with the back of a spoon to create a crackled effect.  The eggs are then soaked in a mixture of strong tea, soy sauce and perhaps a little five spice powder. 

When the eggs are peeled, they have an attractive, marbled look and a nice flavor.

Served on a platter with the cucumber salad and the cold noodles, the tea eggs could approximate the cold plate appetizer common at festive occasions in Beijing. 

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 11:54:41 AM »

If I was giving the party, I'd consider substituting cold sesame noodles for the Lo Mein, but that's me. 

Many years ago we prepared several Chinese New Year's banquets.  One menu item that always made a big hit was tea eggs.  These are simply hard boiled eggs with a twist. Once the eggs are boiled and cooled, you simply tap the shells lightly all over with the back of a spoon to create a crackled effect.  The eggs are then soaked in a mixture of strong tea, soy sauce and perhaps a little five spice powder. 

When the eggs are peeled, they have an attractive, marbled look and a nice flavor.

Served on a platter with the cucumber salad and the cold noodles, the tea eggs could approximate the cold plate appetizer common at festive occasions in Beijing. 

So that's how you make them!!!  I love tea eggs but could never figure out what flavorings were used.  I knew that tea and soy sauce were there, but couldn't figure out the spices.

YAY!

NyaChan

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »

So that's how you make them!!!  I love tea eggs but could never figure out what flavorings were used.  I knew that tea and soy sauce were there, but couldn't figure out the spices.

YAY!

ooh will have to try making these!

hannahmollysmom

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 01:47:16 AM »
Thanks for the info on the tea eggs! I just may add them to the menu. They might look nice next to the cabbage.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 08:02:13 AM »
The tea eggs look especially nice on a platter in cut into quarters lengthwise. 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 12:29:36 PM »
Tea eggs are awesome!

As for the menu, perhaps you may wish to add a soup (won ton?).  I find soup before or after Chinese food settles the stomach of the heavy food.

Mango pudding is a popular Chinese desert so perhaps one of your ice cream flavors can be mango which is easier to find than something like green tea or red bean ice cream.

MrTango

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 01:03:40 PM »
That sounds awesome!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 01:34:55 PM »
It sounds great to me.

I'd probably add dumplings too because my family can make a meal out of them.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 04:36:58 PM »
I would add dumplings and mini egg rolls, because everyone loves them and finger food is always popular at parties.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 04:41:33 PM »
Sounds great and your DD is going to be so happy!

Xandraea

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 05:30:25 PM »
So Delicious makes coconut milk "ice cream" that is wonderful.  I really like their Green Tea flavor, there are several other flavors, and it's dairy/soy free. 

sweetonsno

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 06:16:35 PM »
It sounds like a pretty good spread. I'm not sure whether this will be necessary given your guest list, but perhaps include one vegetarian-friendly entree and/or something spicy? I usually order mu shu vegetables or spicy house tofu.

NyaChan

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 08:41:45 PM »
Tried out those tea eggs - looked really cool!