Author Topic: "Nice haircut." But it isn't  (Read 2164 times)

oogyda

"Nice haircut." But it isn't
« on: August 15, 2013, 11:59:29 AM »
This one caught me by surprise and really left me wondering.

A couple of months ago, I had 2 sebaceous cysts removed from my scalp.  They were pretty big, and the incision was also pretty big.  Of course, they had to shave a portion and that area is about 5 inches long by about 2 inches wide.  It's hard to describe, but it crosses the crown of my head at an angle.  Looking down at the top of my head...If my nose was North, the shaved area starts at NNW and ends at SSE.  But is off center, so it is longer on my right side. 

Now that the hair is almost an inch long, it sticks straight up and takes a lot of work to disguise and has to be redone through the day. 

I was on a road trip recently and stopped for gas and a potty break.  On my way out of the store, I passed a woman going in.  We made eye contact and she commented "Nice haircut."   As an automatic reflex, I replied cheerfully, "Oh, thank you."  Then I remembered what my hair actually looked like, not having had the opportunity to redo it.  I stopped and turned around with a puzzled look on my face, but she had already entered the store. 

I am wondering whether she was being sarcastic, and rude enough to make that kind of a statement or if she didn't see the whole cut (we had been pumping gas at the same time, so she could have seen it).  Maybe she did see it and really liked it or my unconventionality.  FWIW, she was approximately mid-50's and her own hair was a very plain chin length blunt cut with bangs. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Goosey

Re: "Nice haircut." But it isn't
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 12:03:56 PM »
I wouldn't read too much into it. You'll never know for sure what she meant, so give her the benefit of the doubt that she meant it.

In either case, I think "thank you" would be the proper response whether she was being sarcastic or honest.

lowspark

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 12:08:09 PM »
Yeah. It's not really worth agonizing over what some stranger at the gas station thinks of you. I'd take whatever she said at face value. And yeah, Thank You was the right response regardless of her intentions.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 12:08:28 PM »
In either case, I think "thank you" would be the proper response whether she was being sarcastic or honest.

POD.  And if she were being sarcastic (and maybe not, your hair may have looked extremely sophisticated in a trendy way), she might well have thought that your Thank you was sarcastic.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

squeakers

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 12:55:48 PM »
That kind of "haircut" was quite the fad in the 80s (and probably beyond).  I had friends rocking the shaved half head look in various styles.. from front shaved, back long, side shaved and rest long to just patches on a side shaved.

As long as the voice wasn't dripping with venom or sarcasm I would guess she actually did like your haircut.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Zizi-K

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 01:25:19 PM »
I cannot imagine that this woman saw your scalp wound and nastily said "nice haircut" as a way to make fun. It would take a particularly horrible person to do something like that, and it would be even stranger for her to do it at work. I think it's way more likely that she really hadn't been looking at you closely, but what she did notice was some funky asymmetry that looked at first glance intentional. I think it was a real compliment.

cwm

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 01:45:39 PM »
I've seen some really unconventional haircuts that I really liked, even with random shaved patches on someone's head. I honestly mean it when I tell someone "Nice haircut", I wouldn't dream of being rude about it. Who knows, maybe she's never had the opportunity to try a haircut like that but has always wanted it and really liked it.

OP, I think your response of "Thank you" was perfect. And I wouldn't read too much into someone's comment about your hair.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 03:13:01 PM »
I've seen some really unconventional haircuts that I really liked, even with random shaved patches on someone's head. I honestly mean it when I tell someone "Nice haircut", I wouldn't dream of being rude about it. Who knows, maybe she's never had the opportunity to try a haircut like that but has always wanted it and really liked it.

OP, I think your response of "Thank you" was perfect. And I wouldn't read too much into someone's comment about your hair.
Absolutely.  It sounds to me like you've taken a bad situation and turned it into something that looks intentional, and that you manage to pull it off so well that strangers complement you. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 03:23:48 PM »
I think thank you was spot on.  If she meant it as a compliment, you acknowledged it graciously.  If she meant it sarcastically, it missed by a mile.

sweetonsno

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 03:46:48 PM »
I sincerely doubt that she was being sarcastic or mean. I think super-short/shaved/partly shaved looks pretty sweet on a lot of women. I'd feel awful if I complimented someone and they thought I was taking a dig at them.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 09:40:47 AM »
She might have been being snide or she might have been sincere.  I once got a haircut I thought was a complete disaster. 

I was getting it for a cruise.  The operator was a week away from his first cruise.  We chatted and he cut, we chatted and he cut.  I wound up with something only slightly longer than would be standard in Marine Boot Camp.  It was so short that Mr. Thipu went out and got a second haircut in sympathy.

I was ashamed to go to work but people really thought the cut was edgy and cute on me.  I was congratulated for having the guts to take the plunge.  It also gave me an excuse to buy some very girly earrings. 

Regardless, the woman who made the comment is someone you'll probably never see again and her opinion doesn't really matter. 

Just be happy with yourself the way you are .