Author Topic: UNBELIEVABLE Email!! (Ghast: flabbered!) *Update#29 Finale#33 Encore#40!*  (Read 29142 times)

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
Re: UNBELIEVABLE Email!! (The ghast, it is flabbered!) *Details added*
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 03:13:32 AM »
Wow! That's right up there in SSness with the person who claimed that the OP couldn't go to a concert without her (on the "Life..." board).

What was Clueless' response to Bro turning him down?

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

veryfluffy

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 05:53:00 AM »
Would it have been wrong to simply not respond at all? Not even acknowledge receiving something like that? It would have been more amusing to me to imagine the co-irker thinking it was all settled, and then not having the designated cook show up.

Cherry91

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 06:49:39 AM »
Would it have been wrong to simply not respond at all? Not even acknowledge receiving something like that? It would have been more amusing to me to imagine the co-irker thinking it was all settled, and then not having the designated cook show up.

It wouldn't have been wrong, but it might have invited extra conflict, because the SS would twist it in his head (and possibly to other people) into "Brother agreed to do this and then never turned up! He ruined the event!"

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 09:41:39 AM »
I feel like this could so easily be either a running gag in a sitcom or a setup for Punk'd:

-PresumptuousCoworker enters room-

PC: Hi folks, I hate to interrupt your meeting, but I just wanted to make sure I touched base with everyone.
Room: [silent goggle-boggle]
PC: So, Sharon, you're going to need to leave a half hour early to pick my daughter up from daycare tomorrow. Rob, the keys will be by the back door so you can get into the shed where I keep the mower. I prefer the backyard mowed in diagonals, by the way. Stephen, I'm going to need you to pick up four trays of cookies from Subway, all double chocolate. Oh, and Mark, the party is probably going to run late and involve alcohol, so bring some rubber gloves so that you and Jessie can get all the toilets sparkling afterward! Ok, see you tomorrow!
-PC leaves-
Room: [stunned and confused silence] Who was that guy anyway, does he even work here?
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

MrTango

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 10:59:08 AM »

It wouldn't have been wrong, but it might have invited extra conflict, because the SS would twist it in his head (and possibly to other people) into "Brother agreed to do this and then never turned up! He ruined the event!"

As much as I'd want to delete the email with no response at all, I'd reply with "That is not going to happen."

magicdomino

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 11:43:17 AM »
I wonder if the people playing golf know that they are playing golf?  For that matter, do the people playing golf, play golf?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 12:40:35 PM »
I feel like this could so easily be either a running gag in a sitcom or a setup for Punk'd:

PC: Hi folks, I hate to interrupt your meeting, but I just wanted to make sure I touched base with everyone.
PC: So, Sharon, you're going to need to leave a half hour early to pick my daughter up from daycare tomorrow. Rob, the keys will be by the back door so you can get into the shed where I keep the mower. I prefer the backyard mowed in diagonals, by the way. Stephen, I'm going to need you to pick up four trays of cookies from Subway, all double chocolate. Oh, and Mark, the party is probably going to run late and involve alcohol, so bring some rubber gloves so that you and Jessie can get all the toilets sparkling afterward! Ok, see you tomorrow!
-PC leaves-
Room: [stunned and confused silence] Who was that guy anyway, does he even work here?

Anyone else hear this in the voice of the boss from Office Space?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mrkitty

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 01:20:28 PM »
Oh, boy! I think I just died a little from laughing! This was the funniest thing I've read in years.  ;D
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

MrTango

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 01:21:49 PM »

-PC leaves-

Anyone else hear this in the voice of the boss from Office Space?

"Yeaaaaah.  That'd be grrreeaaat."

Amara

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 02:10:14 PM »
Ooh, Evil Amara got out again.

Your brother should have responded that not only would he would be there to cook but he'd be happy to bring the meat if the co-worker wanted. And of course not shown up at all.

Amara butts in, shows Evil Amara back into the closet.

I think your brother responded very nicely.

doodlemor

Re: UNBELIEVABLE Email!! (The ghast, it is flabbered!)
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 10:32:02 PM »

And Merry Mrs Martin - the funny thing is Bro is actually very good at grilling and loves to do it - for himself and the family that appreciates him and his skill (and buys him things like bbq cookbooks, new tongs and metal grill skewers for xmas and b-days - because we are generous and thoughtful like that :)). But his grill skill has never come up at work.

I wonder if the guy heard about this through some round about way. 

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2013, 02:38:10 PM »
[mod hat off]
I want to know how the coworker responds.  That's just so... :o I have no words.  Wow.

[mod hat back on]
And SlitherHiss, if you don't like the post or discussion, don't read it. You're not going to find every discussion here of equal interest to you.  Go participate in the threads that do interest you.

[mod hat off again]
I *really* want to know what the coworker says. What's he going to do when his minion doesn't appear as ordered? 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2013, 02:42:05 PM »
Evil has a couple of ideas. One being Bro could have replied outlining an exhorbitant hourly rate. The other one is to reply with laughter.

Both Evil and I agree that Bro did not need to "bow out" of anything he hadn't bowed in to.

But I too am curious how CW will react.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2013, 09:00:49 PM »
This is hysterical...I need to set this guy up on a date with my former co worker who had delusions like this.  She expected me to go to the grocery store for her and pick up all her ingredients for her potluck offering at work then bring them to her at work the next day...I don't drive and had to take 2 buses home because I had to pick a toddler up at day care!  I was not an ehellion at the time so I don't believe my answer was exactly polite. 

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2013, 08:17:14 PM »
OP here. So for those of you curious about the fallout of the email, I give you the update I will call The Punishment Gift Of Silence  ;):

So Clueless gets to work the same time as Bro in the morning. He asked for earlier hours so he can get off earlier - he is supposed to clock out at 1:30 but Bro says he turns his computer off at 1:00 and is out the door by 1:10 every day. At the start of the day he will wander over to Bro's desk. He will put his feet up, sip his coffee and proceed to monologue about how much work he has to do, how his big expensive house needs all this work and how his current GF is taking all his money. I call it monologuing because he neither invites nor appreciates any feedback from Bro, and if Bro ever says anything Clueless just keeps talking like nothing happened. He also likes to sprinkle some potential PD into the mix by telling Bro how much he hates his coworkers and how so-and-so "threw him under the bus" etc. etc. Bro would never gossip but I still can't believe this guy is dumb enough to bad mouth the people he has to work with in a way that could very easily get back to them (if my Bro wasn't such a nice guy).

So after the "no thanks" email Bro noticed that Clueless has apparently decided to 'punish' Bro by giving him the silent treatment. He has stopped treating Bro to his a.m. gripefests. He has only come to him for work-related issues, and been very brief and chilly during all their exchanges.

Bro will obviously mourn the loss of such a valuable friendship.  :P Not! ;D

Don't you love those people who are so convinced that they are Deity's gift to the world that the worst thing they can think to do to you is deprive you of their presence? Sheesh.

...oh, and I told Bro not to worry, Cynical Softly is sure that Clueless will 'forgive' Bro and they will magically be friends again the minute Clueless wants something from him. ::)
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark