Author Topic: UNBELIEVABLE Email!! (Ghast: flabbered!) *Update#29 Finale#33 Encore#40!*  (Read 30749 times)

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
He sounds just like my former co worker.  If she is invited anywhere, the host has to come pick her up and drive her back.  Not anyone else, the host.  She expects everyone to wait on her and if no one bent over for her, she would whine "I have always been a princess...my dad raised me to be a princess!"  This is the same woman who snagged her sister's married BIL for herself because she should be married to her twins husbands brother...then proceeded to bankrupt him with her expensive tastes and lack of money skills, then divorced him because (exact words) "if he cannot take care of me the way I should be, then the marriage is over."  People like this walk among us   <shudder>

wonderfullyanonymous

The next time clueless coworker pops up to voluntell Bro about his coming over to help, Bro should tell him it will cost him $100 an hour, but only if he can pay ahead of time, and the estimated time it will take, but nothing less than say...6hours. SO, clueless coworker will have to come up with at leat $600, cash only, and if said job looks like it may run over, then he will have to pay Bro ahead of time for another 6 hours, even if job will take an hour or 2.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
Jedi's "I am not your personal servant" line is probably more polite than the pay scale thing.  It's probably also more polite than asking, "What did your last slave die of."

BarensMom

OP, does your brother know why Clueless thinks that he is supposed to do all this for him?   If I were your brother, I'd save up the e-mails, then ask my supervisor if being an unpaid slave for Clueless was part of the job description.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Where did Clueless get the idea that your brother is his personal assistant / slave?  It's just so  :o

Your brother handles himself well. I'd be tempted to start running with this.  Pay?  You didn't mention pay.  My usual rate is $200 an hour.  Hundred bucks an hour for my three assistants.  I keep the BBQ equipment at the end of the day.  Plus round trip, first class tickets to Hawaii. Also, free housecleaning service for a year.  And five gold rings, four calling birds, two French hens, and a partridge in a pear tree.  In advance.  ...

With all due respect, Wordgeek, I love this way more than the "I am not your personal servant" line. 

But OP, I too wonder where Clueless got the idea that your brother would just love and be honored to do all this stuff for him in the first place?  He isn't your brother's boss, is he?  Have they ever socialized in any way?  Has he ever done a favor of any kind for your brother that he now wants 'repaid'?

Your brother's ultra calm demeanor seems to be misinterpreted as "Yeah, he's going to do it.  He didn't outright tell me no."
I think your brother is going to have to change tactics a little or this could go on forever.  I think next time he should just say a very clear "No, that's not going to happen" so clueless doesn't get his hopes up and then get mad when your brother "backs out" of something he never agreed to in the first place.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
To those who are asking why Clueless thinks Bro should do things for him...

My theory is it is a combination of Clueless's personality with Bros:

Bro is a Very Easy-Going Guy. A Team Player. His answer to most work-related requests is "No problem!" If he isn't careful, he can be taken advantage of (but he's getting better!). Enter Clueless...
Based on how Bro has described him, Clueless is not a schemer or manipulator, he is just Lazy. He leaves a void and expects others to fill it. He will do whatever he can get away with - or not do whatever he can get away with not doing.

Example anecdote: Clueless had this cart he was supposed to transfer somewhere and asked Bro to "help" him. They started out pushing it together. Then Bro noticed that he was doing most if not all of the pushing. He didn't have to say anything, he just stopped pushing and forced Clueless to start pushing again. Clueless let Bro do most of the work as long as Bro was willing to - but when Bro physically called him on it (without calling him on it), Clueless had to pick up the slack he had created and actually do his job. This incident with the cart is a pretty good metaphor for how Clueless seems to live his life: he lets other people do his work and pick up his slack, as long as he can get away with it.

To Bro, Clueless is just a gnat that buzzes around work. Bro has enough autonomy that his work isn't affected. I once told him that (based on how he describes his job) he is as close to self-employed as you can hope to get while still getting a paycheck from someone else. So this fluff from Clueless isn't an HR/drama thing and more a head-shaking so-this-amusing-diversion happened at work today situation. Bro is too laid back to care about Clueless' delusions of grandeur. He's dealt with ruder, crazier and more delusional (he used to work third shift >:D). The way he sees it, at least he has some interesting stories to tell about work.

I told Bro that when he does get stressed or fed up with annoying co-irkers (incompetence ticks him off more than rudeness), he can count down his days to retirement...or Clueless' retirement, whichever comes first. ::)
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Where did Clueless get the idea that your brother is his personal assistant / slave?  It's just so  :o

Your brother handles himself well. I'd be tempted to start running with this.  Pay?  You didn't mention pay.  My usual rate is $200 an hour.  Hundred bucks an hour for my three assistants.  I keep the BBQ equipment at the end of the day.  Plus round trip, first class tickets to Hawaii. Also, free housecleaning service for a year.  And five gold rings, four calling birds, two French hens, and a partridge in a pear tree.  In advance.  ...

With all due respect, Wordgeek, I love this way more than the "I am not your personal servant" line. 

I like it too, but I think $200/hour is insufficient.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
He sounds just like my former co worker.  If she is invited anywhere, the host has to come pick her up and drive her back.  Not anyone else, the host.  She expects everyone to wait on her and if no one bent over for her, she would whine "I have always been a princess...my dad raised me to be a princess!"  This is the same woman who snagged her sister's married BIL for herself because she should be married to her twins husbands brother...then proceeded to bankrupt him with her expensive tastes and lack of money skills, then divorced him because (exact words) "if he cannot take care of me the way I should be, then the marriage is over."  People like this walk among us   <shudder>

I would be so tempted to invited her to a dinner party and, then, show up in a minibus, pick her up an take her around to pick up every other guest as well. I couldn't possibly treat the other guests differently, could I?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
He sounds just like my former co worker.  If she is invited anywhere, the host has to come pick her up and drive her back.  Not anyone else, the host.  She expects everyone to wait on her and if no one bent over for her, she would whine "I have always been a princess...my dad raised me to be a princess!" 

If I were the hapless hostess who was foolish enough to invite her and she made the demand that I personally come and pick her up and return her home, I would just have said "Oh, so sorry you won't be able to make it" and made quick revision of my guest list for all future events.

Shame on the Dad for raising a Princess Heinous!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:26:51 AM by gramma dishes »

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
To be honest, gramma, I like it better, too.  I'm just not convinced it's polite.  Tempting, yes...

Zizi-K

Softly Spoken, I would love for your brother, in response to one of these outlandish orders, simply say "Now, why would I do that?" and look this ridiculous man in the eye and wait for a response. I can just imagine the sputtering and confusion that would take place in response.

diesel_darlin

Jedi's "I am not your personal servant" line is probably more polite than the pay scale thing.  It's probably also more polite than asking, "What did your last slave die of."

I just laughed so hard at this. I honestly would have a hard time NOT saying this to Clueless.  ;D

Shalamar

Clueless reminds me of my co-worker Jim.  I mentioned him a while back in another thread.  We were having a potluck at work, and the arrangement was that you could either bring a dish that was worth about ten bucks, or you could contribute $10 so that I (the person running the potluck) could buy something.  Jim and I had the following e-mail conversation:

Jim:  I'm going to contribute kielbasa (Shalamar's comment:  this is a type of sausage.)
Me:  Sounds good.
Jim:  I don't know if it'll be cooked or not, though.
Me:  Uh, better make sure it is.  You don't want to serve uncooked sausage to people and make them sick.
Jim:  I won't have time to cook it.  You'll have to do it for me.
Me:  Sorry, that won't be possible.
Jim:  Why not??
Me:  I won't have time either.
Jim:  Well, what am I supposed to do?
Me:  Either cook it yourself, or contribute something else.

The upshot was that he came to my desk, flung a ten-dollar bill at me, and spat "It's too much trouble.  HERE."

weeblewobble

I wish parents who coddle and treat their little girls like princesses could see video of women like this so they could see how their choices affect their daughters in the long-term. Yes, it's adorable to see your little girl act like a little monarch, but how is that going to affect how they interact with the world and people around them? It really sucks to realize your friend/sister/coworker/fellow church member only sees you as a source of her due portion of adoration and goodies.

This is part of the reason DH and I avoided overly "princess-ifying" our daughter.  No princess t-shirts, no cutesy items stating "I'm the princess and you're not" type sentiments, no telling her that she was too pretty or dainty to do certain things.  Don't get me wrong, she got occasional princess moments. She was a princess for two Halloweens. We were at Disney on her birthday, so she got the full bobbity-boo makeover and got to have breakfast with Ariel and Jasmine.  But she wasn't all princess, all the time.  We wanted a well-rounded little girl who is comfortable in different roles, athlete, student, goofball, friend, and yes, occasionally, princess.

Minmom3

Weeble - sounds like you want your daughter to understand that the penalty for being overly princessy can be that everybody thinks you're an annoying snot, and avoids you like the plague!  Good goal!!!   ;D

MIL (who raised 6 kids - 5 boys and 1 girl) used to tell me "any little girl who can't wrap her father around her finger isn't worth her salt!" and I'd look at her and tell her I didn't WANT child OR husband who was that manipulative or easy to manipulate.  I expected brains and direct behavior out of both of them... 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 11:28:02 AM by Minmom3 »
Mother to children and fuzz butts....