Author Topic: Asking for samples without a purchase  (Read 3109 times)

Cami

Re: Asking for samples without a purchase
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 11:06:50 AM »
Your friend is wrong.

When I was in bridal, we would occasionally get a bride who had sensitive skin. When she would narrow her selection down, I always insisted that she stay in the dress for a minimum of half an hour to make sure that her skin would not have a reaction. There were multiple times when after 30 minutes, the bride's skin DID have a reaction. As a salesperson, I would  MUCH rather not sell a product that is going to cause not only distress to my customer, but a problematic return or fix later on.

The sampling is a small price to pay to avoid that sort of unpleasantness AND  is simply part of the cost of doing business.

cwm

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 12:00:09 PM »
Your friend is wrong.

When I was in bridal, we would occasionally get a bride who had sensitive skin. When she would narrow her selection down, I always insisted that she stay in the dress for a minimum of half an hour to make sure that her skin would not have a reaction. There were multiple times when after 30 minutes, the bride's skin DID have a reaction. As a salesperson, I would  MUCH rather not sell a product that is going to cause not only distress to my customer, but a problematic return or fix later on.

The sampling is a small price to pay to avoid that sort of unpleasantness AND  is simply part of the cost of doing business.

This is a great point.

OP, you didn't do anything wrong. Let's look at this from the company's point of view. They have a set amount of product in store. They give you a free sample to try, and it doesn't work. They're not really out any sellable product because what they gave you was for sampling.

On the other hand, they have a great return policy, so you buy a product and take it home. It doesn't work out, and you have to return it. They no longer have the money from the product, but they now can't sell it either.

I would say if the salespeople don't have a problem with giving you samples there, it's not really a problem with getting them to test out. Heck, I've got plenty of samples from that store, just to see if something would work. Usually it doesn't work for me, but I've never had anyone question me getting samples in the first place.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 12:20:44 PM »
You were fine.  What you did wasn't that unusual.  Especially when someone has an issue where they need to see if the product has an adverse effect on them.

And you don't have to hide the name.  It's fine to actually call it Sephora here - there isn't any need to disguise it.  In fact, you'd be doing them a service by naming them here.  It's a good selling point that they are willing to do samples for people.  That might help them.  So if you're feeling any guilt at all, naming them here would benefit them and maybe encourage others to try them.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:34:54 PM by DottyG »

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 12:23:46 PM »
I'm going to agree with everyone else. You were using the sample/tester as intended--it just happens that your testing takes a little while rather than happening instantly in the store, like it might if you were just testing for color or fragrance.

mrkitty

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 12:45:38 PM »
Your friend is wrong, because I believe she confused "gift with purchase" with "sample." Sample means to try before you buy. A gift with purchase is exactly that. You asked, very politely, and with good reason, for samples to try, and they quite rationally accommodated that request, because the intention is for you to try the product(s) to see if you like them, with no firm expectation that you have to come back to purchase them. Certainly they hope you will, but you are not required. The fact that you have very sensitive skin and have to be extra careful means that there's going to be a bit (or a lot, depending) of trial and error before you find something that works for you. They certainly understand this - they are in the skin business, after all! Please don't worry - you've done nothing wrong; you are just performing your due diligence as a consumer. Believe me, they would much rather you try several samples before settling on a favored foundation than you buying and returning several different ones. I wish you happy shopping and great success finding the product that works for you!

Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

betty

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 01:00:43 PM »
I agree with the PPs: you were fine, and the sales woman was smart to let you "try before you buy."

Just wanted to suggest checking out the mineral makeups: powdered foundation etc. I use Bare Minerals, but there are probably other brands. Good for sensitive skin (and even supposed to be good for people with rosacea).

Aquamarine

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »
Giving out samples it part of their business model.  I really buy few things without trying them out first.

As an aside, there are very good effective products available for hypersensitive skin.  There are medical based lines that are only sold through plastic or dermatology offices.  Make an appointment at a large derm practice with their esthetician and see what they recommend.  These lines are based on medical science/research and you will not find them in stores.  These are products that actually work, do what they promise and yes they should have samples available of everything for you to try.  Some of these products may seem expensive but you only use small amounts so they should last quite awhile.  I doubt you will find many good things for your skin type at Euphoria.

Only buy these items through a Drs office or an approved online seller.  Counterfeit products are a HUGE problem out there and the websites that offer these items at half price are selling you the fake stuff.  Packaging looks identical so its easy to think it's the real thing when it's not.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

mrkitty

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 01:37:31 PM »
Giving out samples it part of their business model.  I really buy few things without trying them out first.

As an aside, there are very good effective products available for hypersensitive skin.  There are medical based lines that are only sold through plastic or dermatology offices.  Make an appointment at a large derm practice with their esthetician and see what they recommend.  These lines are based on medical science/research and you will not find them in stores.  These are products that actually work, do what they promise and yes they should have samples available of everything for you to try.  Some of these products may seem expensive but you only use small amounts so they should last quite awhile.  I doubt you will find many good things for your skin type at Euphoria.

Only buy these items through a Drs office or an approved online seller.  Counterfeit products are a HUGE problem out there and the websites that offer these items at half price are selling you the fake stuff.  Packaging looks identical so its easy to think it's the real thing when it's not.

This is excellent advice. My advice is true enough as far as it goes - for people without a serious skin or allergy issue. But in your case, I urge you to take Rosewater's advice - you will be better off.
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 01:42:03 PM »
One more thing--I don't think it's weird or wrong for testing to take a while even without a medical issue. If I test a perfume, I want to know how it will develop on my skin over the course of the day. Some of my favorites smelled awful or too alcohol-y when I first put them on, and then morphed into "CRUD MONKEYS! WHAT IS THIS HEAVENLY AROMA," and conversely, some of the ones I liked at first sniff turned into, like, dirty gym socks or something three hours later. Testers are for testing; samples are for sampling.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 01:57:17 PM »
One more thing--I don't think it's weird or wrong for testing to take a while even without a medical issue. If I test a perfume, I want to know how it will develop on my skin over the course of the day. Some of my favorites smelled awful or too alcohol-y when I first put them on, and then morphed into "CRUD MONKEYS! WHAT IS THIS HEAVENLY AROMA," and conversely, some of the ones I liked at first sniff turned into, like, dirty gym socks or something three hours later. Testers are for testing; samples are for sampling.

This is exactly what I do, and have done. I am VERY sensitive to scents, but some work. So If I'm thinking of buying someting new, I'll start out there, spritz some on, and walk around for a bit. If I like it, I'll go back and purchase.  As you said, some smell lovely at first, but I;ve had some morph into cat pee scent after a while, or I realised its simply too strong and gives me a headache.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 02:46:49 PM »
You were fine.  You could even, if you wanted to, go back and explain the kind of reaction you had to the sales rep and ask her if there is another product she might be able to recommend.

I strongly agree with this. Your mom is happy with the product and service, so there's a great recommendation to begin with.

Going back, asking for the same sales rep, explaining that you had a reaction to the product, gives the sales rep the opportunity to work one-on-one with you and your problem. It may take several more samples, but if the sales rep is reputable and cares about her customers she will take the necessary time in order to solve your problem and keep you as a return client.

No. You were not wrong asking for samples.

Like other posters mentioned, if you went willy-nilly into every cosmetics store asking for free samples just so that you didn't need to purchase things (WooHoo! I got all of this stuff for free!) then that would be a rudeness on your part. But that's not what you are doing.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 03:19:12 PM »
but if the sales rep is reputable and cares about her customers she will take the necessary time in order to solve your problem and keep you as a return client.

That's something that I've always liked about Sephora.  Every one that I've been in (and the online CS as well) do seem to not only want to help the customers as much as possible, but they really do know their stuff.  They'd be more than happy to help you find something that will work without causing problems - even if that meant several tries of things.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 03:48:37 PM »
Medical pass - not rude.

Now that I am not being kicked out every twenty key strokes....the concept of the medical pass for any number of "usually rude - but safety, especially medical safety - can override that, depending on the situation".

Refusing to touch food that a hostess has put in front of you - rude - but if you recognize that it is something that will give you a really nasty allergic reaction, your own safety overrides that.  Because ruining the dinner party with a nasty medical reaction is worse - even if the hostess doesn't believe in allergies.....
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 08:48:14 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

onikenbai

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 11:41:41 PM »
Have you been able to ID your offending ingredient?  I too have horribly sensitive skin and cannot shop in most of the stores, Sephora included.  I'm always bombarded with the claim "but it's all natural!"  Unfortunately I'm terribly allergic to lanolin, which is natural.  I think I might be the only person on Earth who can't go near Burt's Bees balm.  There are a few other things to which I'm allergic but I haven't quite been able to pin down the exact ingredient.  I only know my skin puffs up like the Stay-Puff Marshmallow man and goes down hill from there with the blisters and peeling.

Free samples are a cost of business.  The price of a jar of whatever compared to the cost to produce it is a crazy multiplier when it comes to the cosmetics industry so unless you're filling up your living room with samples, I say you're fine.

Library Dragon

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2013, 12:23:15 AM »
As another super sensitive skin person you were spot on.  A tester is much more cost effective to the store than a returned product.

Let me also add my voice to finding a GOOD esthetician to assist you.  They have test samples as well and can really give you good advice on skin care products.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter