Author Topic: Asking for samples without a purchase  (Read 2966 times)

sweetonsno

Re: Asking for samples without a purchase
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2013, 01:05:42 AM »
I love Sephora. Great rewards program. :-)

It's perfectly fine to get a sample without a purchase. (Not okay to empty the tester bottle into another container and take it away with you. Seen that one before.)

I believe your friend may have misunderstood what she read. Sephora does give free samples with purchases, but it's not of products that you request. They just have little samples of one or two products that they toss into your bag when you check out. The products change every week or two. I've gotten a sample of the same thing that I was purchasing because they happened to be the same.

No worries, you weren't rude. (Also, have you tried a mineral powder foundation?)

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2013, 01:37:27 AM »
  Not rude you were using the sample for the intended purposes. You friend is having a slight logic failure, if you buy cosmetic and then return it it's disposed of it costs them a great deal more to dispose of a full size then to give out fractional samples.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2013, 09:58:58 AM »
Not rude at all.

And I'm glad to know Sphora doesn't accept returns of cosmetics. I think they are the only cosmetics store I know of that doesn't.

Aquamarine

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2013, 11:35:34 AM »
I'm always bombarded with the claim "but it's all natural!" 

Aaaarrrgggghhhhh!  One of my pet peeves.  This is a nonsensical term bandied about in the cosmetics industry that has no meaning and no universally defined definition.

I always think to myself "So it's natural, so is a snake bite, freezing to death and being eaten alive by lions. Not impressed"
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

onikenbai

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2013, 04:20:30 PM »
Slightly off-topic, but my favourite eye roll over cosmetic products are the mineral clay masks that sell for $75-80 for a 200g tub, promising nothing but the purest quality bentonite.  I can burn through 300-500lb of bentonite on a good day installing groundwater wells.  Bentonite is driller's mud.  I can get you a 50lb bag of 100% pure bentonite for $25.  Doing the math... that's 113x 200gx $75= $8500.  That's quite a markup, and that doesn't even take into account that driller's mud is sold dry while cosmetic mud is sold wet.  You could likely get a good 10K out of a bag of driller's mud once you factor in adding water.  If cosmetic mud were sold dry there would be an awful lot of people ending up in the hospital.

GLaDOS

• FKA TheAscension
  • Would you like some delicious cake?
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2013, 04:29:03 PM »
Sephora is all about samples, and every time I talk to an associate there, it's always "can I make you some samples?"
They have a fantastic, no-questions-asked return policy. But no doubt it's more cost effective to load you down with samples than to return the five foundations you've bought and don't like because they oxidize, or don't match in natural light, etc. You don't even need a medical excuse to ask for samples from them. Most of the time, they pull the samples from the testers already on the store floor, and they've already set those aside for testing. You taking a sample away is the same as you putting on foundation in the store and then wiping it off immediately.

If you're feeling like a gimme pig, make sure you remember the associate's name. Write it down, maybe. And then if you buy something, even at a later date, there's a survey on your receipt that you can take to mention the associate and what they did by name.
There's Science to do!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2013, 06:53:19 PM »
One more thing--I don't think it's weird or wrong for testing to take a while even without a medical issue. If I test a perfume, I want to know how it will develop on my skin over the course of the day. Some of my favorites smelled awful or too alcohol-y when I first put them on, and then morphed into "CRUD MONKEYS! WHAT IS THIS HEAVENLY AROMA," and conversely, some of the ones I liked at first sniff turned into, like, dirty gym socks or something three hours later. Testers are for testing; samples are for sampling.

I cracked up at this because I read a perfume blogger who habitually leaves on the scent she's trying for 12 hours so she can tell what they morph into on her, and a recent test went so bad her dining companions were begging her to go wash it off, or else leave so they didn't have to smell it any longer!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls