Author Topic: Rude real estate agent  (Read 3063 times)

tjika

Rude real estate agent
« on: October 05, 2014, 11:28:08 AM »
I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, but I couldn't decide where would be better.

I'm looking to buy a house and have done several viewings. Last week I went to a house which has been on the market for over a year.

Several things were strange but not rude. But one thing really stood out to me.

The house had just been let out 2 days previously. The new renters were at home (strange but ok, they were still busy cleaning and unpacking so it was also a mess) and because of their custom, asked us to take our shoes of. No problem, except that the agent kept remarking that this was his first viewing on socks and how strange it was. He must have said this 5 to 10 times where the renter could hear. It was very obvious she (renter) was very uncomfortable.

I didn't know what to do about the agents remarks so didn't say anything.

I did thank the renter for letting me see the house.

I'll be going back to see the house this week. The agent has been trying to contact the rental agent so that we can make an appointment where the renter is not at home. There is a tentative appointment for Tuesday.

Say that the agent can't reach the other agent and the renter is there for the appointment again. Should I say something if he makes the same remark? Or was my silence the best option.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
Re: Rude real estate agent
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 11:46:22 AM »
  Firstly you have researched the laws re buying a property with a tenant.  I'm asking because your agent doesn't seem accustomed to viewing property with tenants in place and with added unknown strangeness I'd double check the info he gave me.

He may have been trying to commiserate with you , thinking you didn't like the request. So if it happens again I'd just say "oh I don't mind." I don't think you need to jump to the tenants defensive but if he keeps repeating himself "So you've said , I really don't find it to be an odd request." is a sort of bemused and slightly irritated tone.

YummyMummy66

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 11:49:35 AM »
I might just say, "hmmm....I don't find it strange at all.  I know a lot of people who have a no shoes policy". 

Remarks again, "I actually like the idea. I know I will be getting a clean carpet if I decide to purchase"

Remarks again, "Yes, so you have said numerous times now".

GreenBird

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 11:55:13 AM »
If the agent can't seem to take a hint, I might say, "Agent, I'd appreciate it if we could focus on the house now." 

tjika

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 12:03:51 PM »
  Firstly you have researched the laws re buying a property with a tenant.  I'm asking because your agent doesn't seem accustomed to viewing property with tenants in place and with added unknown strangeness I'd double check the info he gave me.

Already done. They have no rights because they are renting under a special law.

He may have been trying to commiserate with you , thinking you didn't like the request. So if it happens again I'd just say "oh I don't mind." I don't think you need to jump to the tenants defensive but if he keeps repeating himself "So you've said , I really don't find it to be an odd request." is a sort of bemused and slightly irritated tone.

I did say I didn't mind the first time he said it. Guess I'll keep repeating that.

Mergatroyd

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 12:04:59 PM »
Are you buying it as a rental property? If so, you might be glad that the renters have a no shoes in the house policy, and you could say so.

If you are planning to live in the property, you will want to double check the rental agreement before buying it. If the renter signed a lease, you won't be able to break it. Even non-lease renters where I live get two months notice they have to move out if the unit is sold and will be inhabited by the purchaser. You could end up buying the place and not be able to live in it for a year!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 02:12:34 PM »
I might just say, "hmmm....I don't find it strange at all.  I know a lot of people who have a no shoes policy". 

Remarks again, "I actually like the idea. I know I will be getting a clean carpet if I decide to purchase"

That's pretty much what I was going to post! It would have helped the renter be more comfortable, too.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 10:02:17 PM »

I think that would have been nice. I don't find it strange that a house viewing would require no shoes. I've been to open houses where you had to take off shoes or wear those shoe covers. I don't live in one of those areas that everyone takes their shoes off.  And I really hate those shoe covers. I always end up tripping.

MrTango

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 10:33:59 PM »
When LadyTango and I were house-hunting (December 2012-January 2013), we took our shoes off for about half the houses we saw.  No one asked us to do so, but we made our decision based on the condition of the house (i.e. if we would be comfortable living there without redoing the flooring, we took our shoes off.  If the flooring was really dirty or unfinished, we left them on.)

Given the way the real estate agent was acting, I would probably not want to work with them again.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 10:35:57 PM by MrTango »

tjika

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 11:44:44 AM »
When LadyTango and I were house-hunting (December 2012-January 2013), we took our shoes off for about half the houses we saw.  No one asked us to do so, but we made our decision based on the condition of the house (i.e. if we would be comfortable living there without redoing the flooring, we took our shoes off.  If the flooring was really dirty or unfinished, we left them on.)

Given the way the real estate agent was acting, I would probably not want to work with them again.

It's not common here to take your shoes off when visiting. So I can understand the surprise from the agent, but don't like the way he responded to it.

If I ever need my own agent, he is definitely not on the list.

Jocelyn

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 08:36:57 PM »
It's certainly a custom in certain ethnic groups, and in parts of the country where there's a lot of winter (so that there's slush and mud to be tracked into the house). And there's people who just like to keep things extra-clean indoors.

Back when I lived in a city that did the Parade of Homes, it was extremely common for houses that had already sold to require people to take off their shoes or put on booties before touring.