Etiquette School is in session! > Complete Silence

I was insulted. What should I have replied?

<< < (2/9) > >>

gramma dishes:

--- Quote from: hyzenthlay on August 16, 2013, 08:47:51 PM ---
...   Was he rude yes, but I imagine what he saw was someone who didn't make an effort for his daughter's wedding. Still a rude comment, still stupid and pointless to make at the wedding, but I think it came from a different place then you may have thought.

--- End quote ---

I do see your point and it's a good one.  But it was the groom's father. 

VorFemme:
Apparently sometime in the past, a study was being done where they measured a lot of people to get an idea on how to update the sizing standards.

After several hundred to a thousand sets of measurements - men fell into basically NINE different body types (short, average, tall overall with long, average, or short legs and the same on the torso). 

Part of the way through the women, they were up to a hundred possible variations on height, build, where "extra" weight, width, or length might be, and the like - so they gave up on making any meaningful changes to the way the sizing had been set up after WWII with studies based on returning nurses (you know, YOUNG women in girdles & bras who had been doing heavy work with limited food and grew up in the Great Depression - so possibly not reaching their full genetic potential height & such due to families not being able to afford plenty of food).

But I've been sewing for about forty years and read widely about various applications of pattern making, ready to wear sizing history & changes, and all for much the same reason as the OP.  I could not buy "off the rack" clothes due to not having an "off the rack" sized body.....

Sadly, as I am now in my fifties, I am no longer slim of waist and hip.....but it has gotten slightly easier to find clothing now that I am no longer wearing a size 12 in RTW and a size 14 in patterns (although the size 14 pattern that I used to wear - IIRC - was for a 36" bust, a 24" waist, and a 35" hip - that is not the current size 14 pattern or RTW measurements).

Danika:

--- Quote from: veronaz on August 16, 2013, 08:38:48 PM ---OP, curious as to why this bothers you now (I got the impression it happened many years ago).

--- End quote ---

I actually hadn't thought of it in years. I thought of it today because I was wearing a bikini to the pool. It's the same bikini that I bought back then, and I had to drive 90 miles to a specialty shop to buy the top and bottom separately for insane amounts of money because my bust was so big and my hips are rather narrow. I've since had a breast reduction and was able to wear the same bikini. So I was thinking about how I was glad that it still fit, and then I started thinking of all of my old ill-fitted clothes that I still had in a closet somewhere and what outfits and dresses might fit better now and I thought of this dress so I remembered the story.

veronaz:
Danika, oh....I see.  Thanks for answering.

hyzenthlay:

--- Quote from: gramma dishes on August 16, 2013, 09:33:32 PM ---
--- Quote from: hyzenthlay on August 16, 2013, 08:47:51 PM ---
...   Was he rude yes, but I imagine what he saw was someone who didn't make an effort for his daughter's wedding. Still a rude comment, still stupid and pointless to make at the wedding, but I think it came from a different place then you may have thought.

--- End quote ---

I do see your point and it's a good one.  But it was the groom's father.

--- End quote ---

Whew, reading skills not working well tonight!  Well more jerk then, but seriously guys do NOT have the troubles that women do while shopping!

I've been gaining muscle on my arms and now I'm finding it hard to find tailored shirts that fit my arms  :P 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version