Author Topic: Step-parent boundaries  (Read 15079 times)

Eeep!

Re: Step-parent boundaries
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2013, 12:57:37 PM »
I just thought I would add my experience with my kids and grandparent's names. :) My ODS started calling my dad Papa at a very young age.  We were planning on calling him Grandpa but the the Papa stuck. I sometimes call my dad Papa and I think that is partly where he got it from and partly because his older cousin calls his OTHER grandpa Papa.  However, what is funny is that rather than calling his other grandpa Papa - like his cousin did - he calls him Papapa.  Hee. Guess my son feels the need to be an individual. ;)
That same nephew calls his other grandpa (so my SIL's FIL)  [Name]Papa - something that he came up with when he was little. Super cute! In fact, everyone - including my boys - refer to him as [Name]Papa. :)

Interestingly, both Grandmas are just Grandma [First Name]. :)
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

bloo

Re: Step-parent boundaries
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2013, 01:45:13 PM »
My goodness, OP, if FSMIL and FFIL hadn't been married for 15 years, then I'd say she was my father's most recent exwife. (When I asked for the addresses of her siblings to invite them to my wedding, she sent me photocopied pages from their church directory with 35 families' names highlighted to tell us who we should invite... on our dime. Needless to say, that didn't happen. I did end up inviting her sisters, but she told me later that she told them not to come because of how poorly I treated her. ::) )

The bolded reminds me of the old joke.  ;D

If FSMIL starts annoying FFIL enough, the grandkids will only know her as 'Grandpa's most recent ex-wife'.

And Lynn2000 that is definitely some excellent food for thought!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:47:40 PM by bloo »