Author Topic: New container of ice cream for a party?  (Read 5088 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
New container of ice cream for a party?
« on: August 17, 2013, 09:19:46 PM »
So, I'm curious about this.  My mom believes that when you are having people over for a party that involves ice cream (like a birthday party), you should always open a new container (or new containers, if more than one) of ice cream for the party.  You should never bring out a partially-eaten container.

What do you all think?  Is it better manners to have a brand new container of ice cream for the party?  Does it depend on the relationship with the people who are coming (i.e. okay to use an open container if the guests are close family, but better to have a new container if they are friends or more distant relations, where you would be a bit more formal)?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: New container of ice cream for a party?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 09:25:34 PM »
If it was just close family, I'd use the open container, provided it hadn't been open long.  But for a larger party?  I'd open a new container.  If we used the whole thing and needed just a bit more, I'd use the open one.  But I'd probably make sure that those servings went to my close family.

There is nothing rude about using the open container, IMO, especially if it is almost full.  But I'd just feel better opening a fresh one for guests.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Zizi-K

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 09:28:57 PM »
Unless you have eaten out of the open container with your own spoon, I think it's fine to use an open one. Would you feel the need to open a fresh bag of chips or bottle of ketchup? I doubt anyone would notice anyway.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 10:10:06 PM »
People have partially eaten containers of ice cream left over??  :P

I'd probably get new ones just to make sure I had enough for everyone. Either that or get a 2nd container of the same flavor(s). I think it's okay to finish off an opened container so long as it's not a situation where you say "Okay, I have three scoops of chocolate and a gallon of vanilla." when everybody wants chocolate.

Daydream

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 10:13:54 PM »
Yes, I will always open/buy a new container and would prefer that others do the same.  This is because while I know I and other members of my household don't eat directly out of ice cream containers with our used spoons, I realize that other people have no way of knowing that.  Therefore, I want to allay any concerns guests might have about that. 

I'll also say that, with a certain family of relatives I have, it might not even matter if they open a new container.  I know that they eat directly out of containers and drink out of bottles and put them back in the fridge, etc.  So, I definitely don't eat or drink anything from an opened container in their home. 

But I've also seen the mother repeatedly eat off of serving/mixing spoons while dishing stuff up at her parties. So unless I get the very first serving of ice cream or whatever out of a new container with an obviously clean spoon, or can watch her every move while she's plating things, I just stick to eating rolls and a bit of meat or something at their house. 

A store bought cake might be okay there, but if it's homemade, she and/or her kids have likely licked the knife/spatula repeatedly while icing it. 

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 10:15:52 PM »
Wow.  I had never thought about somebody eating directly out of the ice cream container.  So I guess that makes sense that if that's a common thing, people want to make sure guests can see that they haven't done that in this instance.  I can't even stand to drink from the container of a drink, within my home, that only I drink.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
I always open a new one, even if it is family.  I just like to serve a 'fresh' one because whatever is in the fridge may have been in there for a week and may even be crystallizing (I like ice cream but I am lactose intolerant so I have to watch my intake).  And I know those people who would use the container as their bowl so definite  double dipping.. :P :P :P

HoneyBee42

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 10:53:40 PM »
The only reason I have a new container is that part of the deal for birthday parties is that the birthday child gets to pick the flavor(s)  (I have twins as well as singletons, it's one flavor per birthday child).  Ice cream otherwise doesn't last long enough around here to get freezer burn, and I don't think there's anything wrong with using a partial ice cream container for a party if I have one--it's just highly unlikely that I would have one.

Library Dragon

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 12:24:16 AM »
The only reason I have a new container is that part of the deal for birthday parties is that the birthday child gets to pick the flavor(s)  (I have twins as well as singletons, it's one flavor per birthday child).  Ice cream otherwise doesn't last long enough around here to get freezer burn, and I don't think there's anything wrong with using a partial ice cream container for a party if I have one--it's just highly unlikely that I would have one.

POD

The idea of freezer burned ice cream is giving me an ice cream headache.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 12:53:22 AM »
I've always opened a new container when there is a multitude of guests (like bday parties, etc.)

I guess my thinking has been to show that there is plenty to go around, have seconds if you'd like! If you bring out a 1/2 empty container guests might think that's all there is so they might do the polite thing and say "Oh, one scoop is plenty."

If it's just a few scoops for my parents, or a good friend or two, or even a couple of the kid's friends, I'll take out the 1/2 used container . . . otherwise, if I opened fresh for every guest, I'd end up with 3+ 1/2 used containers. ::)

peaches

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 06:42:43 AM »
I always buy a new container for company because I want the ice cream to be fresh, and I don't want to run out!

However, it wouldn't bother me to be served from a container of ice cream that wasn't full. After all, at ice cream shops we're served from open containers that are used throughout the day.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 07:07:52 AM by peaches »

CakeEater

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 06:46:14 AM »
How big are the containers you're talking about? I've commonly seen 8litre containers - you wouldn't want to open a new one of those for a party if yours was only slightly eaten.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 07:00:14 AM »
How big are the containers you're talking about? I've commonly seen 8litre containers - you wouldn't want to open a new one of those for a party if yours was only slightly eaten.

8 litre! Wow! I've never seen anything bigger then 3L - 1 litre is the most common here.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

CakeEater

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 07:44:37 AM »
I usually buy 4 litre containers, because the brand I like doesn't come in the larger size. But 8 litres is pretty common in Australia, especially for families who go though quite a lot.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 07:51:27 AM »
Since we only buy a pint to share when we buy ice cream for ourselves, I'd definitely get at least a half-gallon for a party. 

It's sort of a family joke that we buy a pint for Christmas and finish it at Easter.