Author Topic: New container of ice cream for a party?  (Read 5094 times)

bloo

Re: New container of ice cream for a party?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 08:08:15 AM »
Yes, I will always open/buy a new container and would prefer that others do the same.  This is because while I know I and other members of my household don't eat directly out of ice cream containers with our used spoons, I realize that other people have no way of knowing that.  Therefore, I want to allay any concerns guests might have about that. 

This is where I am only my family members and I will dip into the container with our spoons and put it back. :)

Like a previous poster mentioned, ice cream doesn't last long in our house so there's never been a guest drop-in and ice cream's offered. I purchase ice cream when I know I need it for entertaining and then no one is allowed to touch that until it's to be served to guests and family.

Little bit OT: I'm kinda this way with other things. I'd prefer my family not touch foods I've prepared until guests have arrived and we're all eating. My one DH's cousin, Lucy, is an excellent cook and baker and her DH liked to drive her nuts with taking one piece out of a cake or leaving one bare spot in the middle of her plate of homemade eclairs before guests could see it.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 08:29:09 AM »
I never thought of this actually.  And now after reading the replies I want a new one opened if I am a guest and will buy a new one for guests if I am serving it.

Magnet

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 09:22:52 AM »
And now I want ice cream.  At 9:22 am. Sigh

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 09:38:13 AM »
I always buy fresh ice cream for parties.  Maybe it's psychological, but an already open box feels like I'm serving leftovers which I would never do for a dinner party.  YMMV.

Oh, leftovers are fine for family dropping by ;)

Oh Joy

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 09:39:17 AM »
Don't have a reason for my position, but I'm pretty strongly in the 'new container' camp.  DH has me figured out because I'm the same with cans of whipped cream.  If I buy one for a guest dinner (we don't usually have it in the house) he'll open it and take a squirt, knowing I'll make us get another new one for the dinner and we'll have a can leftover for him to sneak in the middle of the night.

You've got me thinking now.  If we have another couple over, I'll share our open condiments and butter and such, but if we're bringing a course to someone's house I'll insist on buying new.  Don't know why.  Am I the only one who differentiates based on where it will be served?

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 12:30:59 PM »
Now for presentation at the dinner table, everything is fresh/new such as salad dressing or the butter etc.  I even whip it up too so it's nice and spreadable.  That includes condiments.  Like for a bbq, I will buy new ketchup, mustards, hot sauces etc.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 12:53:23 PM »
  I'm in the new container group too.  I think of it like a cake if I am having guests I don't take a slice out of the cake before they get there. I don't think its rude but it just doesn't feel right.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 01:28:01 PM »
Funny but I've never really thought of it and yet, I always purchase new ice cream when hosting parties.  I suppose it's all part of the "party."  After all, I wouldn't serve a half-eaten cake.  Everything we serve at parties is "new". Fresh cake, fresh food, no leftovers, new carton of ice cream. 

I would think it odd to go to a party where the host serves an already opened carton of ice cream.  I wouldn't think it rude, necessarily, but it would seem off to me.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2013, 02:11:50 PM »
It would depend a lot on how formal a party it was. My sisters or best friend over for a visit? Open container if I have one. "Formal" dinner party with all the trimmings? New container all the way.

As for condiments I wouldn't necessarily buy new ones - it would depend on how much was left in the ones I had. More than half-full, and I'd just use the ones I had, otherwise I'd buy new ones. I wouldn't put out a ketchup bottle where you had to fight to get the last few drops out ;)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 02:15:47 PM »
If there was an opened but unfinished carton of ice cream in my freezer, I would serve it at a party. However the chances of that ever happening are slim to none. ;)
The days are long but the years are short.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2013, 08:33:09 PM »
This particular party will be my parents, my MIL/FIL, and my BIL/SIL/their three little boys.  It's for my 3-year-old's birthday party (we don't usually have "kid" parties until the 4th birthday, and since we just moved here we don't have anybody to invite, anyway).  So it's just family, but with BIL/SIL it's slightly more expansive than just us and the grandparents.

Anyway, I took all of your advice and got two tubs of ice cream: chocolate and chocolate-chip cookie dough. While they both have chocolate in a way, I think they're somewhat different from each other and generally much-beloved in our family.  I know both grandparents like them, at least, and cookie dough is the birthday girl's favorite.

As to size, they're 1.5 quarts.  I don't *think* we'd eat all of them, but if we do, there will probably be other half-eaten ice cream in the freezer I can sneak out.  Unless my husband eats all of it before next weekend. :)

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 11:13:27 AM »
I'd always buy a new one if I were planning on serving ice cream to guests. But that's only because chances are, if we have ice cream (which is rare, maybe once every three months) either my hubby or I has dipped into the container with a spoon for just a little bite. This way there aren't any dishes to clean! :D We have no self-control when it comes to ice cream. I have been known to reward myself with a spoonful every time I finish a chore ... and I've got lots of chores.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 11:31:25 AM »
New container if it is for an event like a birthday. Also, DH has a midnight ice cream venture every few nights, so there might not be enough in the container anyway.

NyaChan

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, 11:53:33 AM »
New container

1) the ice cream will be fresh, no crystals on the top or odd smell/flavor from whatever else was in the freezer (yes I have experienced that at a relative's house and it put me off ice cream of all things for quite a while), and

2) it would feel a bit like serving left overs to a guest if I served them from an old container and I don't want anyone worried about how I served or ate the ice cream that was already gone.  As another poster pointed out, they shouldn't have to worry about whether I eat straight from the carton or not.

oogyda

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 12:43:43 PM »
I would use a new container simply because the texture of the ice cream (at least, the texture of the exposed layer) changes.  It crystallizes or sometimes becomes a little "rubbery". 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.