Author Topic: The Color Run's Anti Snowflakes.  (Read 1750 times)

snowdragon

The Color Run's Anti Snowflakes.
« on: August 18, 2013, 12:11:22 AM »
I ran the color run in Buffalo today. Let me tell you about the anti-snowflakes I met there.

They put out a call last week for volunteers for race day - they needed to be at the race site at 6:30 am - and a minimum of 500 people, mostly teens, showed up. There were also a few running coaches, Firemen, Paramedics, Police and Homeland Security. And a Bag Piper who made my day by being there, just because I love bag pipes.
  But the kids were the stand-outs. These kids, many of them cross country runners, had gotten up around 5:30 AM on a Saturday morning, to help out. They were enthusiastic, kind and most of all encouraging. They did things like manning the color stations - shouting encouragement while coloring our shirts with dye, others had megaphones and ran along the side lines - again encouraging folks. Near the end when spirits were low and some of the runners/walkers wanted to give up, they offered high fives and calls of "You have this, keep going, you can do it." Putting their all into making the day more enjoyable and encouraging us to meet or goal of finishing the race. For many of the runners it was their first 5K ever, for others like me it was the first time running a race since High School. But the kids - even after 5 or more hours never wavered in their kindness and their encouragement. They stayed till the last person finished.
  The kids I spoke to - downplayed what they did when I thanked them for doing it..many of tm telling me that they liked seeing beginners get involved in "their sport" and wanted to do something to encourage them.
   Wehear so much about the bad mannered people in the world and here were literally hundreds, doing everything they could to make other's lives more enjoyable and be encouraging.

diesel_darlin

Re: The Color Run's Anti Snowflakes.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 12:28:25 AM »
*clicks invisible like button* 8)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 12:40:42 PM »
This is just such a nice story to hear.  Teens today I really do believe get a bum rap.  There are so many of them who are wonderful, yet we rarely hear about them.  We only hear about the 'bad' ones.

So thanks for sharing this uplifting story and giving the kids credit where credit is due.  It's a sweet deviation from the "usual and customary".   

Anti-Snowflakes indeed!   ;)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 03:29:51 PM »
If they were Identified by school (shirts/uniforms/jackets) I would fire off an e-mail to the Superintendent, District Athletic Director, Principal, and Coach - saying just what you said here. Kids get trashed talked, followed in stores - and told in 100 different ways that their generation is no good. Someone taking the time to praise them to their "bosses" lets them know people see the good they do.

I've done it a many times - the response I get back usually mentions the kids getting praise or rewards.

Another time my kids were the ones getting the praise. We were at the MFAHouston. We had a problem with a guard that was very ugly to my students for no reason. A woman, dressed to the nines, made the guard stop yelling at my kids, told her they were some of the best behaved kids she had seen that day. Later she called my principal - to praise the kids. She also must have made her feelings known to MFAH because they called asked about what had happened and said they would deal with the guard. Instead of taking away the lesson that somehow they didn't belong in the museum (the guard actually said that), my kids learned that good people will stand up for other people.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

CakeBeret

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 03:51:17 PM »
That's wonderful! and I agree with kherbert, if you know what schools they are from, call and let the schools know.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."