Author Topic: What, if anything, can I say or do?  (Read 3957 times)

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: What, if anything, can I say or do?
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
There's a store at the mall where the alarm goes off when people have merchandise from other stores at the mall.  The sensors are deactivated at the original stores, but triggers it anyway at that certain store.  Employees are so use to it that they don't pay attention anymore.  I always say a real thief can get away because of all the "crying wolf" alarms have jaded the employees.

At another store I went into, the alarm went off and the security guard asked if I brought anything from "nearby store."  So they know the problem but don't adjust the alarm.

I don't know what's the point when it works like that and they don't fix it.  It's just a waste of money

Shea

Re: What, if anything, can I say or do?
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 07:49:27 PM »
If the remote starter is just a dongle on your keychain, could you remove it and not carry it with you when you know you are going to this supermarket?  I assume that you still have car keys and could still lock, unlock, and turn on your car without the remote starter...

I do sympathize... back in the days when I was a grad student who walked everywhere, and liked to listen to music when I walked, my portable CD player used to set off the alarms at the grad school library every single time.

Happens all the time at my library. Often it's because students have used the self-checkout machines but didn't run the book through the densensitizer properly, but more often than you'd think, it's because the students just haven't checked the books out, so we always call them back. Sometimes it's an electronic setting it off though, usually a laptop or tablet. We're always polite about it though!

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.