Author Topic: Berries on the fence  (Read 7213 times)

sammycat

• Super Hero!
Re: Berries on the fence
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2013, 11:13:44 PM »
I dunno, I think this is one of those things that while it's not technically required to ask permission, it would be a nice and neighborly thing to do. I don't agree with the "my yard, my berries" thought, because you didn't buy the bush, you didn't plant the bush, you're not watering/fertilizing/etc. so no, it's not your blackberry bush.  I guess I'm thinking a heads up to your neighbor that the bushes were growing through the fence and producing tons of berries would have been polite, because he may have wanted to prune them back if he realized that so much of the plant's productivity was happening on the other side of the fence.
I think he was being very polite by giving you permission to enjoy the berries, and I'm not really sure why it rubbed you the wrong way. Maybe he was just telling you that in case you thought the berries were poisonous and hadn't been eating them, and he didn't want to see them wasted?

I see that the OP has updated, with a very positive update, but just speaking generally,  I very much agree with amylouky, epsecially part I bolded.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2013, 09:56:10 AM »
I dunno, I think this is one of those things that while it's not technically required to ask permission, it would be a nice and neighborly thing to do. I don't agree with the "my yard, my berries" thought, because you didn't buy the bush, you didn't plant the bush, you're not watering/fertilizing/etc. so no, it's not your blackberry bush.  I guess I'm thinking a heads up to your neighbor that the bushes were growing through the fence and producing tons of berries would have been polite, because he may have wanted to prune them back if he realized that so much of the plant's productivity was happening on the other side of the fence.
I think he was being very polite by giving you permission to enjoy the berries, and I'm not really sure why it rubbed you the wrong way. Maybe he was just telling you that in case you thought the berries were poisonous and hadn't been eating them, and he didn't want to see them wasted?

I see that the OP has updated, with a very positive update, but just speaking generally,  I very much agree with amylouky, epsecially part I bolded.

I totally disagree.  Once it's gotten into your yard, you now have to do the work of pruning it back.  Unless you're going to demand your neighbor come over and do it.  And blackberries do not really need water or fertilizing - they just grow.  And like I said upthread, one bush just planted itself in my parent's yard from the neighbors bush.  Whose plant then?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2013, 10:43:48 AM »
Knitterly, what are you doing Tuesday?  Can I invite myself over for a couple of hours to pick blackberries?   ;D

I've started some blackberry plants.  I'm going to have to keep them well trimmed and under control, though, since they are in the same patch as my rhubarb and strawberries.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

wyliefool

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2013, 04:35:26 PM »
We don't get overrun w/ berries, but we do have fruit trees. Which sadly, instead of providing a few pears every week all summer long for me to nosh on, dump bushels of them on my head all at once.

Since I don't know how to can, what we do is collect the fruit and give boxes of it to ppl who do. So they get nice organic fruit for their canning ('benign neglect' is our gardening mantra) and we get a few jars of the final product. Win-win.

This year we're also experimenting w/ 'freezer jam', which I'm told makes excellent holiday gifts for those w/o fruit trees.  ;D We'll see how that goes. It ridiculously easy once you get the pectin stuff.

The one thing I do do myself is make fruit breads. They freeze nicely, especially if you have a vacuum-packer. Yummy breakfast in the winter.

^This is all in the way of suggestions for the neighbors to dispose of some of their fruit.

magicdomino

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2013, 06:07:10 PM »
May I suggest blackberry liquor (or brandy, if you use little or no vodka).

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/homemade-blackberry-liqueur-recipe.html

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2013, 06:26:05 PM »
I'd say check your local laws as to whether you are allowed to pick anything.  Some places you even have to check to see if you are allowed to pick up fallen fruit.

I'd apologize to the neighbor if it turns out you shouldn't be picking the berries and hope they say "Oh, don't worry about it and by the way we do/don't spray the crops."

And how would the neighbour know she is picking them from the other side of the fence?   Will the neighbour expect the OP to pick them and return?  This is the risk people take planting things close to property lines.   Just general questions.  I personally wouldn't even ask.  If they are growing into my side, especially if it is a jointly owned fence, then anything on my side is mine.  If it is their fence, it is still on my property by growing on my side, so again, mine to pick.

SlitherHiss

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2013, 06:31:11 PM »

I disagree. If the bush/tree owner doesn't want the overhang to be used, or is worried about all the productivity being in a neighbor's yard, the onus is on them to prune it back on their own side of the property. If they choose to let it grow freely across the fence line, they forfeit their control.

squeakers

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2013, 07:39:38 PM »
I'd say check your local laws as to whether you are allowed to pick anything.  Some places you even have to check to see if you are allowed to pick up fallen fruit.

I'd apologize to the neighbor if it turns out you shouldn't be picking the berries and hope they say "Oh, don't worry about it and by the way we do/don't spray the crops."

And how would the neighbour know she is picking them from the other side of the fence?   Will the neighbour expect the OP to pick them and return?  This is the risk people take planting things close to property lines.   Just general questions.  I personally wouldn't even ask.  If they are growing into my side, especially if it is a jointly owned fence, then anything on my side is mine.  If it is their fence, it is still on my property by growing on my side, so again, mine to pick.

Like I said.. check your local laws.  As far as how would the neighbor know? By seeing you picking the berries like as happened in the OP.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

CakeEater

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2013, 10:01:46 PM »

This depends on your local laws. As I said above, here, if the plant is planted on your neighbour's land, then the entire plant belongs to your neighbour. Here, you are welcome to trim anything that comes over the property line, but you must offer the trimmings back to your neighbour. In fact, here, you're within your rights to trim a plant, and just put the trimmings back over the fence.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2013, 01:31:20 AM »
The OP is in Canada where the vast majority of laws are in her favour.  Leaning into her property, they belong to her on her side.

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2013, 01:44:34 AM »
My mind is blown by the idea of anyone deliberately planting blackberries. Where I grew up, blackberries are everywhere growing wild and trying to take over the entire landscape. People are forever fighting a mostly losing battle to keep the brambles from taking over their entire properties, Audrey II-style.

So it's not just me having this mental disconnect? Oh good =).

They're a noxious weed in my state... with nummy, nummy fruit =).

YummyMummy66

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2013, 08:11:56 AM »
I know in my area of PA, when we put a fence up, it should be so many feet from the property line. 

If it is on the property line, it does not matter who paid for it.  The side that is on the owner's property line is theres.  The other side that is on the neighbor's property is the neighbors.  If they want to paint that side, they can.  If they want to hang something on that side, they can.  That fence is now on their property.

Now, usually, if you are going to do this, you have talked to the neighbors about it, sometimes, each paying for half the fence.

But, you never know if one neighbor sells their house, what the new neighbors will do.  They do not have to abide by the original agreement of the previous owners and the neighbors.

If the original owners of the blackberry bush did not want their neighbors to be picking off of the bush, then they should have planted the bush somewhere where they could control their own bush. 

As to the OP, I see no problem with her picking and enjoying the blackberries.  If the neighbor has a problem with this, he can trim the branches from his side of the fence.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2013, 12:19:40 PM »
I have never understood laws that require the fence to be off the property line.  Essentially when one builds a fence, they are losing that area of their property when it must be inside the line.  Ours must be 6" in side the line.  Not a great deal of space, but it does cause gaps.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2013, 01:29:23 PM »
I have never understood laws that require the fence to be off the property line.  Essentially when one builds a fence, they are losing that area of their property when it must be inside the line.  Ours must be 6" in side the line.  Not a great deal of space, but it does cause gaps.

here, it is a full foot in from the property line.

Goosey

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2013, 01:30:41 PM »

here, it is a full foot in from the property line.

How do you tend to the grass in between?