Author Topic: The amusement park....unruly kids  (Read 3674 times)

GrammarNerd

Re: The amusement park....unruly kids
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 01:45:04 AM »
OP here.....

I wasn't sure if my annoyance was justified b/c sometimes I feel like a crotchety old lady around kids like these.  Those kids annoyed me SOOOO much!  I mean, I would have NEVER let my own kids do half of what those kids were doing!  That's probably evidenced by the stunned looks that my son was giving me as the kids were shouting, hopping and climbing; even he couldn't believe their behavior b/c he would never have gotten away with that!

I should stress again that the kids didn't actually hurt me except for that one initial time, and that wasn't that bad.  And because the dad reprimanded him sternly for that, I was hesitant to say anything about the kids' behavior after that, especially since the kids weren't actually hurting me.  I thought it would seem like I was being overly dramatic if I expressed that I was hurt or something like that.  But I can see now that I really should have said something.  Although at the time, I was just at a loss for exactly WHAT to say that wouldn't come across as censuring or buttinsky-like.  You know....that whole 'correcting other people's kids' thing that good etiquette frowns upon.  And since they weren't directly affecting me, I guess I didn't feel like I had the right to say something to them when it was just merely an annoyance factor for me.

Aquamarine

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 02:32:27 PM »
There is no reason not to tell the kid to back off and stop knocking into you, you don't have to stand there and take it.  If it continues I would complain to the staff and ask the people to be removed from the line.

If the parents don't correct the behavior and it impacts others then others get to speak up and tell them to knock it off.  The parents are making the choice by ignoring the behavior to leave it to the world to teach them manners.  So be it.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

ShadowLady

• My mind is like a steel trap-illegal in 13 states.
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 02:45:01 PM »
POD to those who say to yell 'ouch' or scream 'ow' or something when you are run into or over.   Bring attention to their bad behaviour, and *maybe* the parents will do something, maybe the kids will develop a guilty concience.  And maybe it will get the attendants attention, and  THEY will tell the parents to restrain their rugrats.

LadyStormwing

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 10:26:42 PM »
Safety trumps etiquette.

Former theme park worker here. OP, you mentioned that the kids had also escaped into an area they weren't supposed to be in. There's generally a reason for fencing, borders, gates, etc... it's very easy to get hurt or even killed near the machinery/equipment of a ride, whether a roller coaster or a carousel. For your own comfort and THEIR safety, yes, awkwardness aside, it would have been worth speaking up.

We all get it. Theme parks operate mainly in the summer. They are hot, sweaty, smelly, crowded places. That does NOT give anyone, adult or child, free reign to act like a wild animal. I have seen coworkers get severely injured (to the point of needing to be brought to a hospital) by guests who wouldn't control their behavior and act like civilized human beings. Kids will be kids and boys will be boys, but like everything else, there is a time and a place. If they are not old enough to behave for the duration of the wait time, they may not be old enough to go on the ride - even if they make the height requirements!

Gyburc

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 10:54:37 AM »
I agree with the PPs - you aren't being grouchy, and it's definitely worth saying something if it happens again, especially with the children putting themselves in danger.

Kids will be kids, but that means that parents have to be parents!
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you