Author Topic: Thank-you for family contractor?  (Read 867 times)

CakeBeret

Thank-you for family contractor?
« on: August 19, 2013, 10:42:57 AM »
My husband's cousin Earl lives with us and pays a token amount of rent in exchange for helping out around the house. Earl's dad, Jerry, is a contractor who has not had steady work in awhile. Jerry is a really nice guy and has voluntarily shown up to help while we were doing DIY projects on the house before.

DH and I have some repairs that need to be done, and it's hard to find time since DH is working tons of overtime right now with an odd schedule. Earl decided to work on the house Sunday while DH was at work, and mentioned it to his dad, so Jerry came over to help. I'm not sure whether Earl asked him to or if Jerry volunteered.

Earl and Jerry spent about 8 hours working on the repairs Sunday. There is still more work to be done, approximately 2-4 hours' worth. I don't know whether Jerry will come over for that as well. DH offered to pay Jerry, and Jerry declined.

We would like to do something for Jerry to thank him. We know that he hasn't had steady work in awhile and it's taken a toll on him, so it would be nice to give him cash, but we are afraid that Jerry's pride would prevent him from taking it. In the past we have given him a restaurant gift card to thank him, and that went over well, but it seems insubstantial in light of the amount of work he's put in on this project.

Any suggestions for how we can properly express appreciation for Jerry's help?
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Zizi-K

Re: Thank-you for family contractor?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 11:16:23 AM »
What about a gift card to a Walmart-type store where he could buy not only groceries but anything else he might need, like gas, clothes, fertilizer, or what have you? Alternatively, you could simply give him a thank you note with cash inside and simply insist that he take it with your appreciation.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 11:44:20 AM »
This is a tough one because he has already refused to be paid.

I think what I would do is give him a restaurant gift card AND a Target/Walmart/similar store card where he can get everyday essentials, to help him out.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

staceym

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 11:47:47 AM »
or since he is a contactor - Home Depot or Lowes gift cards would be nice

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 06:06:23 PM »
Does Jerry live alone? Maybe just having him to family dinner a few nights a week.

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 07:28:19 PM »
Jerry isn't just helping you out; he's helping his son fulfill his obligations to "make rent". Just because Jerry isn't working full time right now, I imagine that it is a point of pride that he can still help his son. Please don't force money on him.

Hire him to do a job, if you like, with money specified upfront if you want to help him out financially. Refer your friends  and neighbors to him.

Otherwise, do something to build those family bonds. Invite him over for dinner. Treat him to outings (concerts? car shows? Camping?) with you. You don't have to pay him back all at once right now. This is a lifetime relationship. Reciprocate the help when he needs it.