Author Topic: Please stop chewing on the bags of chips.  (Read 4820 times)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Re: Please stop chewing on the bags of chips.
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 12:58:18 PM »
HA!  And my friends/family make fun of me for always picking merchandise from the middle or back of the shelf.  I'm going to show them this thread.

I do the same thing. I've seen too much to not do that. I've seen kids gnawing on wrapped candy bars and have seen parents give their fidgety kids one to hold (then they put it back on the shelf smushed/melted - ewe).  :P So, yeah, I never take things like that from the front. It may not be foolproof, but it increases the chances of getting something that hasn't been chewed/pawed!

Aquamarine

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 02:28:30 PM »
In a strong voice I would have pointed out to the staff that someone is sucking and chewing on the chips and the bags are now contaminated, perhaps they would like to move the display behind the counter.

In the absence of parenting and when it affects myself and others I get to step in and deal with the situation as I feel is appropriate at the time.

If the child did this one time, the parents should pay for the chips and stop it then and there from happening again.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 02:38:18 PM »
In a strong voice I would have pointed out to the staff that someone is sucking and chewing on the chips and the bags are now contaminated, perhaps they would like to move the display behind the counter.

It's an option (and not, necessarily, an incorrect one).  But why be passive-aggressive about it?  Just speak to the father instead of talking across him to someone else.  I agree that moving the display might be needed.  But you can mention that when you get to the cashier.  Like another poster, though, I doubt they're going to remove the chips from the display.  I suspect a lot more happens with things out in the public's grasp than we realize.  Those chip bags weren't sterile before the little girl came in.

Like I said before, this situation doesn't have to be anywhere near as complex as some seem to be making it.  Just tell the father that his daughter is doing something wrong.  If he doesn't respond, take it further up the chain.  But don't make this difficult - it's not!

sweetonsno

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 03:27:20 PM »

It's an option (and not, necessarily, an incorrect one).  But why be passive-aggressive about it?  Just speak to the father instead of talking across him to someone else.  I agree that moving the display might be needed.  But you can mention that when you get to the cashier.  Like another poster, though, I doubt they're going to remove the chips from the display.  I suspect a lot more happens with things out in the public's grasp than we realize.  Those chip bags weren't sterile before the little girl came in.

Like I said before, this situation doesn't have to be anywhere near as complex as some seem to be making it.  Just tell the father that his daughter is doing something wrong.  If he doesn't respond, take it further up the chain.  But don't make this difficult - it's not!

I agree with this. Telling the Dad what his daughter is up to will hopefully make him realize that she needs more supervision (and therefore stop her from sucking on all of the other bags). If they do need to move the display/remove the sucked-on bags, only the cashier really needs to be told.

Aquamarine

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 11:15:58 AM »

As a paying customer I do not want to purchase something that has been in someone's mouth and chewed on.  I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation.  For me those chips are indeed contaminated and I don't want to buy them.  I honestly don't know anyone who would be OK with it and I think the other people in line should know about it and then they can make their own choice as to whether to buy chips or not.

I honestly don't see why I should have to tell and unobservant parent to parent their child.  I do get to take corrective action for myself and others in suggesting that the chips be moved.  Unsuspecting people should not have to buy chips that have been gnawed on.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 11:39:53 AM »
This is very similar to my experience at a large convenience store. Two young girls were putting their fingers in the frozen drink dispensers, licking their fingers, then moving to the next one. I asked both girls (8-10 years old) to not do that after I realized the older girl with them was ignoring the behavior then I told the manager, who had to turn all the machines off, remove the dispensers, sanitize them and then go through the start sequence again.

I wish people would pay attention to the children that are with them.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 01:17:10 PM »

As a paying customer I do not want to purchase something that has been in someone's mouth and chewed on.  I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation.  For me those chips are indeed contaminated and I don't want to buy them.  I honestly don't know anyone who would be OK with it and I think the other people in line should know about it and then they can make their own choice as to whether to buy chips or not.

Oh, I'm not saying I want those bags, either.  That's not an unreasonable expectation at all.  I agree with you.  My point was that we don't know what else has happened with the bags before that time - how many other kids may have chewed on them and not been noticed!  If there are things out there where the public can touch them (or chew on them), you almost have to assume that the public has!  Ideally, the chips would be in a place where they're not quite as easy to get to for kids to chew on like that.  I'm assuming we're taking about Subway here.  And the chips are quite accessible for anyone in line to touch.

You bolded the part about the bags not being sterile before the girl came in.  And that's true.  They weren't.  If nothing else, everyone in this thread now knows that there are kids out there that do things like this (unfortunately).  I think we'll all be a little more aware of it the next time we get a bag of chips at Subway - I know I'll get a bag from closer to the back myself from now on!

And I said that your option wasn't, necessarily, an incorrect one.  I'm just saying that it is a more PA way to do it.  If that's how you deal with a situation like this, go for it.  Others may find that a more direct route works for them.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:19:49 PM by DottyG »

Coley

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 07:16:57 PM »

Oh, I'm not saying I want those bags, either.  That's not an unreasonable expectation at all.  I agree with you.  My point was that we don't know what else has happened with the bags before that time - how many other kids may have chewed on them and not been noticed!  If there are things out there where the public can touch them (or chew on them), you almost have to assume that the public has!  Ideally, the chips would be in a place where they're not quite as easy to get to for kids to chew on like that.  I'm assuming we're taking about Subway here.  And the chips are quite accessible for anyone in line to touch.

You bolded the part about the bags not being sterile before the girl came in.  And that's true.  They weren't.  If nothing else, everyone in this thread now knows that there are kids out there that do things like this (unfortunately).  I think we'll all be a little more aware of it the next time we get a bag of chips at Subway - I know I'll get a bag from closer to the back myself from now on!

And I said that your option wasn't, necessarily, an incorrect one.  I'm just saying that it is a more PA way to do it.  If that's how you deal with a situation like this, go for it.  Others may find that a more direct route works for them.

I will admit that when I go in there, I always take a bag of chips from the back. While the bags are definitely far from sterile, the girl chewing on the bags was a new one for me.

My way of handling it was just one way. There are other ways to do it, so I was curious about what others might do. That was the way I chose to handle it in the moment. I stopped myself twice from saying something to the girl. I really, really wanted to stop her. The dad was so far down the line that I would have had to raise my voice considerably to get his attention. I was reluctant to do that.

I appreciate the responses!

Shea

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2013, 07:58:31 PM »
"Excuse me sir, your little girl is putting her mouth on all the bags of chips."

Just say this. I don't understand why speaking up and just saying something to people is always hesitated on. For goodness sakes, it's not a horrible thing to just direct someone's attention to a problem.

These types of situations are being made more complex than they actually are.

Probably because if you're conflict-averse, like me, you fear an overreaction from a horribly offended parent. It's happened to me before, and it's an experience I do not wish to repeat. Of course, I'd like to think that most people are reasonable and would not respond rudely, but the fact that it's not an unheard-of reaction is enough to make some people think twice about speaking up.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

delabela

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2013, 11:02:47 PM »
I gotta be honest - I think I do a pretty darn good job helping my kids be appropriate in public, but sometimes the eyes in the back of my head fail me and I miss something (maybe like my kid touching something he shouldn't).  So in that situation, I would appreciate a friendly "hey, probably want to stop that."

Sure there's nuts out there who will take great offense you said anything, but as long as you keep it light ("Boy, looks like she really wants some chips!") I think you're 9 times out of 10 going to be fine.

AuntyEm

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2013, 08:02:40 AM »
In a very few times when I've caught kids doing something really annoying/potentially dangerous I've just said in my version of a "mom voice" (don't have kids myself) something like "Ok now--that's probably not a good idea."  I don't touch them or yell at them and may give them a little smile.  I just look at them directly  like a grownup noticing something.   So far all of the responses I've gotten  are them stopping whatever they are doing and running back to their parents with a few looks at me to see if maybe I'm going to come over and tell on them--(no).

The two latest incidents were 1) ages about 7-8, grabbing on to the handrail of a moving walkway at the airport and letting it pull them, hanging, along the side where people were standing/sitting waiting (for hours) waiting to get on  delayed flights.  Looked like fun but someone was going to get hurt.  2) ages 3-4 climbing up on a high-ish bench (mine) (while grabbing my table) at a restaurant and jumping off while their parents milled about organizing themselves to leave.