Author Topic: Playdate Email -- urgent  (Read 2851 times)

learningtofly

Re: Playdate Email -- urgent
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 01:08:41 PM »
You've gotten some great advice.  Usually when someone initiates a playdate with DD the first one happens at their house.  There is one family that really likes having us at their house and they do have the better layout so I bring snacks or dinner.  DD and a friend have been plotting a playdate forever, and the mom emailed me last week.  When I caught up with her person I invited them (mom and her DD) to our house as I know her living situation is a bit crowded right now.  Also, she wanted to give her DD a chance to have a playdate away from her siblings. 

I find that people are very understanding about living situations.  Also, I get so busy that I really appreciate it when I drop the ball and the other parent follows up.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 01:15:44 PM »
I'd email her as if it was already agreed that my kiddo was planning to go to her house, "Hi, just wanted to confirm that you're having DS over tomorrow at 1pm." If she says she can't have him and she thought her son was coming to you, "Oh darn, I'm afraid I can't have him here. We're in the middle of a remodel and the house isn't fit, or safe, for company."

I really like the previous suggest on that you offer to pick him up and take them to a park or something and then drop him off at home.

Edited because I missed the remodel info
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 03:52:45 PM by JenJay »

Eeep!

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 02:52:48 PM »
I'd email her as if it was already agreed that my kiddo was planning to go to her house, "Hi, just wanted to confirm that you're having DS over tomorrow at 1pm." If she says she can't have him and she thought her son was coming to you I'd tell a little lie, "Oh darn, I'm afraid I can't have him here. I wasn't feeling well earlier in the week and I'm not up for visitors right now. I'm pretty busy next week, but I'll get ahold of you after that and we can get something set up."

I really like the previous suggestion that you offer to pick him up and take them to a park or something and then drop him off at home.

I'm wondering why you think it makes sense to lie about being ill? To me, remodeling craziness is a perfectly acceptable reason to not have a play date at someone's house and wouldn't think poorly of the mother saying that. At all. 
I just had my first play date for my son and I actually just suggested having it at a park because that seemed like fun. The mom said her son really wanted to have my son over to see his room and stuff so we had it at her house.  I honestly didn't even think that my park suggestion was weird. We have tons of very cool parks in our area.  If I were you, I'd just suggest a local park as though that is a totally normal suggestion, which it would be in my area at least.

Oh, I just realized that perhaps your child is old enough for a drop-off playdate.  My son is still in preschool so I was there. I still think that meeting at the park wouldn't be an odd suggestion, but maybe it is for older kids?
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 03:35:30 PM »
I'd email her as if it was already agreed that my kiddo was planning to go to her house, "Hi, just wanted to confirm that you're having DS over tomorrow at 1pm." If she says she can't have him and she thought her son was coming to you I'd tell a little lie, "Oh darn, I'm afraid I can't have him here. I wasn't feeling well earlier in the week and I'm not up for visitors right now. I'm pretty busy next week, but I'll get ahold of you after that and we can get something set up."

I really like the previous suggestion that you offer to pick him up and take them to a park or something and then drop him off at home.

I'm wondering why you think it makes sense to lie about being ill? To me, remodeling craziness is a perfectly acceptable reason to not have a play date at someone's house and wouldn't think poorly of the mother saying that. At all. 
I just had my first play date for my son and I actually just suggested having it at a park because that seemed like fun. The mom said her son really wanted to have my son over to see his room and stuff so we had it at her house.  I honestly didn't even think that my park suggestion was weird. We have tons of very cool parks in our area.  If I were you, I'd just suggest a local park as though that is a totally normal suggestion, which it would be in my area at least.

Oh, I just realized that perhaps your child is old enough for a drop-off playdate.  My son is still in preschool so I was there. I still think that meeting at the park wouldn't be an odd suggestion, but maybe it is for older kids?

I missed that they're remodeling, I thought OP was just unhappy with the state of her house. If I was remodeling I definitely wouldn't want anyone coming over, either, for a million reasons.

julianna

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 08:28:42 PM »
Thank you, everyone, for all the suggestions.  I'm a big, awkward dork at the best of times, and all this playdate stuff is new to me, so I really appreciate the input.  I emailed her and asked if they were still interested in a playdate "sometime this week" (I figured mentioning tomorrow might put her on the spot), explained our house was a construction disaster zone, and suggested we meet at a park.  And she emailed back and invited DS to their house for tomorrow.  So all's well that ends well, and next time I'll put on my big girl panties and email sooner.

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 09:09:06 PM »
Yay!  Glad it worked out and your son can have a playdate. 
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com