Author Topic: Dad's at it again  (Read 1974 times)

cwm

Dad's at it again
« on: August 19, 2013, 10:00:01 PM »
So I haven't heard anything from him for a while. Got the Christmas present through my sister, no direct contact, and if I had refused the gift she would have taken it. It really is useful.

I did nothing for Father's day. I got nothing for my birthday. There has been no direct communication at all. I have done nothing that indicates that I'm interested in continuing a relationship with this man.

Today I got two texts and a phone call inviting me to his benefit dinner. Don't worry, I'm not planning on going. Even if my other plans for the night include ice cream and Netflix, I will have other plans.

I haven't spoken to him directly in at least eight months, and even then it was passing on the stairway of my last apartment when he showed up to pick up Sproglet in the mornings. Maybe two or three words, the kind that would be shared by any passing acquaintance on a staircase.

I know if I don't answer he'll ask my sister and my mom. And I know my mom will tell him it's not her business and she's not going to act as a go-between, and I have a feeling my sister will say the same thing, especially if I let her know that I don't want any information about me passed along to him.

Should I even respond to him to let him know I won't be going? I know he usually buys a whole table's worth of seats, and if I'm not going to be there with a date (which I'm not) those seats can be offered to someone else early enough that they can plan for it, but I don't really want to open the can of worms of responding to any communication of his in the first place. How do I let him know to offer the seats to someone else without actually talking to him?

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
Re: Dad's at it again
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 10:05:23 PM »
I wouldn't respond.  He should realize, after 8 months of no contact, that you are not going to wake up the morning of the benefit, find a date and show up for the act of happy family.

cwm

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 10:06:32 PM »
There's a few thousand miles between what he should realize and what he thinks will happen...

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 10:39:19 PM »
But that is not your problem.  He can wish all he wants for that Norman Rockwell scene, but you don't have to make it come true for him.  And if he still buys the tickets with no response from you than that is his loss.  I am sure your sister will tell him you aren't coming if he asks.

MrTango

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 09:12:28 AM »
But that is not your problem.  He can wish all he wants for that Norman Rockwell scene, but you don't have to make it come true for him.  And if he still buys the tickets with no response from you than that is his loss.  I am sure your sister will tell him you aren't coming if he asks.

I completely agree.