Author Topic: Pet naming - Is this an offensive name?  (Read 4029 times)

MeowMixer

Re: Pet naming - Is this an offensive name?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 02:10:29 PM »
Call hime Barishnikov? Too long? Too ironic?

I'm confused - gimp (at least as I've understood it) has been someone accident prone or a kind of craft bracelet making in camp. Seriously, I have no idea what the negative is here. Maybe I'm naive?

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 02:16:58 PM »
Gimp might have the alternative definition of "spirit" or "vigor" but thats not why you started calling the dog "Gimpy" is it? So it would be pretty dishonest to now say "how we call him that because of his spirit" - no you call him that because of the way he walks.

I'm confused - gimp (at least as I've understood it) has been someone accident prone or a kind of craft bracelet making in camp. Seriously, I have no idea what the negative is here. Maybe I'm naive?

I've only ever known the word "gimp" to mean two things:

1. An offensive way to describe someone with a severe limp or walking impediment

2. A submissive sexual role often involving leather and collars and the like.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 02:18:43 PM by WillyNilly »

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 02:19:54 PM »
It is a hateful name for a human with similar problems, I don't see how it is cute when used on an animal. If the puppy wasn't as bright would it be cute to give it a name that degrades the mentally disabled?

sweetonsno

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 02:20:39 PM »
The "spirit" definition is fairly obscure. I'd never heard it before. (That use of the word is apparently regional, FWIW.) It sounds like you originally started calling her "Gimpy" because of the way that she walked, which does make me think that you initially intended it in the more common sense of the word. You can name her whatever you want to, of course, but some people may not be amused. I do think it's a bit insensitive to poke fun at those with physical disabilities. While your family and friends know that you're being affectionate and silly, strangers might think you're being mean.

I don't think that someone has to be looking for offense to look askance at a pejorative term (even a mild one). I guess I see "gimpy" the way I see referring to a person as "Oriental" or "colored." While it isn't a slur, it's not particularly enlightened/respectful, either. In many cases, whether or not the term is offensive varies by region. I think in this case, it depends whether ableism is recognized as a form of discrimination or not. (In my neck of the woods, it's okay to refer to yourself as gimpy but frowned upon to use the word to describe others.)

You can absolutely name your dog whatever you want, but I'd be careful with this one. Imagine needing to call her at the park and realizing that someone with an injury or disability thought you were yelling at them (or everyone else thought you were). Yikes.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 02:22:52 PM »

It was/is a slur for a person with a psychical disability such as needed leg braces , havering a malformed arm ect.  Calling a clumsy person gimp I think is comparable to saying "Gyp" to mean "cheat" because gypsies cheating so many people there ethnicity  could be used as a slur.   I'm referring to the negative stereotype not the validity of the stereotype. 

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 02:45:11 PM »
Why not Bumpy?

We fostered a kitten who had a broken right leg that had healed at an abnormal angle, and we called her Lefty.  She never let her injury stop her from playing, and was one of the first adopted.

ettiquit

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 03:02:57 PM »

I'm a little surprised that some people interpret this word so negatively. It is technically slang, but I guess I'm just not used to hearing it used with any malice behind it.

Allyson

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 03:06:16 PM »
I don't think you'd be doing a terrible wrong, but it probably is not worth the bad reactions you'd get.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 03:23:17 PM »
I'm going to post a link to oxfords online dictionary...

http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/gimp--2

A feeble or contemptible person.

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 03:38:39 PM »
I started calling one of my cats "Gimpy" as a nickname after he had to have a leg amputated.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about offending people with what I name my animals. Unless you pick something really horrible that you know would offend most people, you're good.

I tend to agree with this.  I think as long as you treat the dog well and take care of her it doesn't really matter what you call her.  I tend to nickname our pets with some dodgy names (fur-sausage, little monster, fleabag, etc).  Perhaps because I have only ever heard the word used in the 'Pulp Fiction' sense, I don't really have any emotional reaction to that name.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2013, 05:28:13 PM »
Gimp might have the alternative definition of "spirit" or "vigor" but thats not why you started calling the dog "Gimpy" is it? So it would be pretty dishonest to now say "how we call him that because of his spirit" - no you call him that because of the way he walks.

I've only ever known the word "gimp" to mean two things:

1. An offensive way to describe someone with a severe limp or walking impediment

2. A submissive sexual role often involving leather and collars and the like.
That is not what I expected to learn on eHell today.

HyenaInPetticoats

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2013, 05:47:45 PM »
That is not what I expected to learn on eHell today.

I was wondering, if, and when someone would mention that one.  :P